Martha Stewart turns herself in

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Tripleshot
She broke the law, she fabricated a cover up, she did insider trading that has specific rules of conduct that SHE knew about and was sworn to uphold (She has an SEC Lisence). She must defend herself, and first step is t odeclare innocence in order to get a trial by your peers. Do not for a moment believe her proclimation of inocense is anything more than a tool for a trial.

She faces jail and fines, and will argue she has suffered enough already because of her stock devaluation. I hope she loses it all, and the feds make her a model for prosecution of bigger fish, like Kenneth Lay.

But for those friends of this witch, Bush will pardon her when he leaves office. You can bank on that.

Ken Lay and Jeff Schilling walked away with BILLIONS. They left thousands of Enron employees with millions in losses from their retirement accounts and jobless to boot. Neither of these two are anywhere near indictment.

Where is the zealous federal prosecutor in their case?

What are our priorities? Martha Stewart and her $250,000 is threatened with 20 years and $2 million in fines while Ken and Jeff play golf and live like kings with no fear of prosecution.

There are much bigger fish to be fried. This is a case of selective prosecution. Makes BIG headlines. It's bull$h!t.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I don't know. By destroying Martha, the feds are also destroying her company, which employs people, and has shareholders. She might have done something wrong, but I don't see how the remedy is better than the problem.
Say what you want, but Martha Stewart stuff is the best stuff K-Mart got. It's descent quality affordable stuff. I wouldn't even go to Kmart ever if it wasn't for MSO.
And it's not like K-Mart is doing so well itself. Seems like a lot of damage done to a lot of companies, employees, shareholders, all to find a scapegoat for the business scandals, in which Martha's deal is not even a drop in the ocean.
I am all for justice, but there are people who are responsible for losses in billions of dollars because of their misrepresentations, and Martha is too small a fish to fry, and also I am not entirely convinced of the evidence.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: mugsywwiii
Originally posted by: BOBDN

Ken Lay and Jeff Schilling walked away with BILLIONS.

Uh... sure about that?

No, I'm not sure. Enron's worth billions one day (while the corporate execs are forcing employees to buy and hold), the next day they're in bankruptcy court. No, the money just evaporated.

Lay and Schilling, along with other top Enron execs had sold their shares already. And after they ran the company into financial collapse they walked away with golden parachutes - just like corporate execs always do.

Odd we don't hear more about this in the news. The whole "corporate accounting" fiasco reminds me of the Resolution Trust Corporation banking scandal.

I wonder why Ashcroft isn't as vehement about prosecuting corporate corruption as he is about persecuting medical marujuana?

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: SuperTool
I don't know. By destroying Martha, the feds are also destroying her company, which employs people, and has shareholders. She might have done something wrong, but I don't see how the remedy is better than the problem.
Say what you want, but Martha Stewart stuff is the best stuff K-Mart got. It's descent quality affordable stuff. I wouldn't even go to Kmart ever if it wasn't for MSO.
And it's not like K-Mart is doing so well itself. Seems like a lot of damage done to a lot of companies, employees, shareholders, all to find a scapegoat for the business scandals, in which Martha's deal is not even a drop in the ocean.
I am all for justice, but there are people who are responsible for losses in billions of dollars because of their misrepresentations, and Martha is too small a fish to fry, and also I am not entirely convinced of the evidence.

Uh huh. :beer:

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I dont' care if 100,000 people will become unemployed as a result. Insider trading damages market reputation, hurts investment, hurts job creation and hampers the economy of the entire country. She should get 1 year jail time and triple punative damages as well as forfieting all proceeds, forfieting the initial investement, be taxed on the illegal gains and be suspended for life from ever being an executive of a publicly traded company. She broke the law, she should do the time.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: rahvin
I dont' care if 100,000 people will become unemployed as a result. Insider trading damages market reputation, hurts investment, hurts job creation and hampers the economy of the entire country. She should get 1 year jail time and triple punative damages as well as forfieting all proceeds, forfieting the initial investement, be taxed on the illegal gains and be suspended for life from ever being an executive of a publicly traded company. She broke the law, she should do the time.

That would all be fine if the law was enforced equally. But it isn't, is it?

One example, Bush was never indicted for his insider trading at Harken Energy. And his sale involved MILLIONS. If Bush is indicted for selling his stock before it tanked using information he gained while sitting on the board at Harken then Stewart's indictment is fair as well. Until then she should get the same pass Bush has been enjoying. At the very least Bush should have been charged for failing to report the sale for four months and then only when regulators began looking into it.

The federal prosecutors who are in such a rush to use Stewart as an example of their "get tough" policies are missing the boat on all the insider traders who have connections. I wonder who Martha Stewart pi$$ed off to rate this treatment.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BOBDN
Originally posted by: rahvin

That would all be fine if the law was enforced equally. But it isn't, is it?

One example, Bush was never indicted for his insider trading at Harken Energy. And his sale involved MILLIONS. If Bush is indicted for selling his stock before it tanked using information he gained while sitting on the board at Harken then Stewart's indictment is fair as well. Until then she should get the same pass Bush has been enjoying. At the very least Bush should have been charged for failing to report the sale for four months and then only when regulators began looking into it.

The federal prosecutors who are in such a rush to use Stewart as an example of their "get tough" policies are missing the boat on all the insider traders who have connections. I wonder who Martha Stewart pi$$ed off to rate this treatment.

Let me summerize your post: Whaaaa Bush got off cause his daddy was president so no one should ever be prosecuted for insider trading again!

Grow up, life isn't fair and politics protects people. Martha deserves the same bloody sentences that the other Insider traders that aren't politically connected got. Try browsing through the SEC files. I seem to remember 11 people at Nvidia that got jail time and major fines and they were just engineers at the company not the CEO.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Grow up, life isn't fair and politics protects people.
---------------------------------
You call that being grown up? I'd call it being complicit.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Grow up, life isn't fair and politics protects people.
---------------------------------
You call that being grown up? I'd call it being complicit.

Complicit? Comon Moonie. Just because I recognize that it happens doesn't mean I'm complicit in it. Do I think someone with political connections should avoid penalties because of it? No I don't actually. But to suggest that because someone with political connections got off that everyone else should as well is frankly bullsh!t. What Bushlite did has NO relevance to what Martha did and she should go to jail.