Man walks into Kroger with loaded AR15

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
There was no violence, and no threat. The fact that some perceived a threat is their own shortcoming.

He would have to be aiming/waving (brandishing) for there to be any threat, and the law recognizes as such.

Seriously, if that's the definition you're applying, then I'm a "terrorist" by simply putting a rifle on my back and stepping off my property; all because my neighbors would irrationally freak out.

I thought liberals were against things like the Patriot Act? Guess when their precious feelings get hurt all bets are off.

+1 ? really?

Are you the same xjohnx from the trayvon martin thread?

You guys are hilarious... you're fucking hypocrites and you don't even try to hide it.

Yea, +1 my ass. I'd love to see the reaction if some Arab guy dressed in a turban open carried an AK into a mall, or better yet a church in the South. I'm sure the boys would welcome his expression of support for the 2nd A. and his blossoming interest in the salvation Jesus Christ has to offer.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Yea, +1 my ass. I'd love to see the reaction if some Arab guy dressed in a turban open carried an AK into a mall, or better yet a church in the South. I'm sure the boys would welcome his expression of support for the 2nd A. and his blossoming interest in the salvation Jesus Christ has to offer.

I once shot next to 3 Arab guys (and yes, they were actually speaking Arabic) at the freaking NRA range. Funny how after noticing that they were Arab and thinking of some humorous political irony (given that this was the NRA range), I stopped giving a shit and focused on my shooting.

And point of fact I'm not a conservative nor am I from the south, nor am I even a Christian. So nice try with the pigeon-holing. I would love you to see my reaction to those scenarios as well. They'd be identical to my reaction over a white guy doing the same. Oh and in most states carrying any sort of weapon in a church or religious building is prohibited.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I once shot next to 3 Arab guys (and yes, they were actually speaking Arabic) at the freaking NRA range. Funny how after noticing that they were Arab and thinking of some humorous political irony (given that this was the NRA range), I stopped giving a shit and focused on my shooting.

And point of fact I'm not a conservative nor am I from the south, nor am I even a Christian. So nice try with the pigeon-holing. I would love you to see my reaction to those scenarios as well. They'd be identical to my reaction over a white guy doing the same. Oh and in most states carrying any sort of weapon in a church or religious building is prohibited.

There was an arab college kid in Dallas a few years ago that was into guns. He went to his uncle's ranch down around Houston and shot a bunch of AKs and ARs. Turns out the FBI was watching him, and used the video footage and photographs to charge him with unlawful possession of a weapon (due to him not being a US citizen) and lock him up. So it just goes to show that sometimes things go like they did for you at the NRA range, but sometimes things do turn out ok.

Link: http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2007/jan/19/ut-dallas-student-arrested-fbi-pleads-not-guilty/

Chuck_v

Jan 21, 2013
http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/article_42d81e6e-68d9-11e2-afbf-0019bb30f31a.html

WTF is wrong with these gun nuts, they are basically terrorizing people by walking around in public,holding assault weapons. This is really sick, and beyond ridiculous that it isn't illegal. Good for Kroeger for banning this nut case.

Edit: Fine I changed the title, I still say people feared for their lives though.

I am an ardent supporter of the right to carry a weapon for defense. I carry concealed as licensed by my state. I prefer to carry concealed for three reasons. The first reason being that my state requires a handgun be carried concealed by the licensed citizen the second reason is so that those around me are not made to feel uncomfortable in my prescence and the third reason is so that should I need to defend myself, my loved ones or my property that the fact I have a weapon comes as a complete surprise to any criminal POS attempting to perpetrate a crime. You should never give advance warning to a criminal POS that you are armed. Never ever give a criminal POS an even break. By the way my wife and I are alive today because I carry concealed. I did not give the two POS any warning and the look on their faces was priceless.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Alright, since we're nitpicking: his point is that anyone who saw a slung rifle and didn't immediately tense up deserves a darwin award. Yeah, because being cool under fire (or in this case, lack thereof) is the realm of CRAZY!!! :D

One can calmly take notice of and react to a situation, even where there's a perceived threat. His "point" is just as stupid.

There are a lot of squirrely people in this thread.

No, my point is that (and pay attention to the string of words and how they are strung together or better known as the sentence) Anyone in our current client who saw someone leave the grocery store, head to their car and return with a loaded AR-15 and calmly goes about their business deserves a Darwin Award. If you want to debate me, debate what I actually wrote, not an iteration you concocted in your mind.

Or maybe you just deserve a Darwin award.

I think you have a cartoon image of what courage is. Most cowards do.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Alright, since we're nitpicking: his point is that anyone who saw a slung rifle and didn't immediately tense up deserves a darwin award. Yeah, because being cool under fire (or in this case, lack thereof) is the realm of CRAZY!!! :D

One can calmly take notice of and react to a situation, even where there's a perceived threat. His "point" is just as stupid.

There are a lot of squirrely people in this thread.

Nobody used the term "tense up" but you.

So again, you aren't responding to what I said or the other person, you are attributing your statement to us then responding as though we said it.

BTW, you just contradicted your own point. Whether one does it calmly or in some other manner, taking notice of and reacting to a situation is EXACTLY what the original person said that you made a point of ridiculing.

Becasue taking notice of something and reacting, even if its just to be aware of the situation, isn't going about one's business. Its a change.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010

So again, you aren't responding to what I said or the other person, you are attributing your statement to us then responding as though we said it.

BTW, you just contradicted your own point. Whether one does it calmly or in some other manner, taking notice of and reacting to a situation is EXACTLY what the original person said that you made a point of ridiculing.

Becasue taking notice of something and reacting, even if its just to be aware of the situation, isn't going about one's business. Its a change.

:thumbsup:

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
I know I would have been terrorized if I saw someone walking into the grocery store with a loaded assault rifle, like he plans to gun us all down. I am sure many there felt the same way.

How would you know it was loaded? Or was that a loaded statement?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Are you pansies still whining about someone exercising their second amendment rights? Geez. Give it a rest already so your dear leader can stop his incessant whining about it as well.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
although it is within his rights to carry ARs w/o concealment, it may not always be prudent to do so. What would people do, if they spot someone carrying an AR15 near a school? I'd say most would probably call the police just because you cannot distinguish lawful citizens v people who is about to shoot up a school.

This you can say is profiling, may even be discriminatory, but hell, I'd do the same thing and call police. Who's gonna take a chance w/ their own lives or lives of their children?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
although it is within his rights to carry ARs w/o concealment, it may not always be prudent to do so. What would people do, if they spot someone carrying an AR15 near a school? I'd say most would probably call the police just because you cannot distinguish lawful citizens v people who is about to shoot up a school.

This you can say is profiling, may even be discriminatory, but hell, I'd do the same thing and call police. Who's gonna take a chance w/ their own lives or lives of their children?

But but but profiling is wrong. We shouldn't profile the poor oppressed individuals open carrying rifles, their feelings might get hurt.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
But but but profiling is wrong. We shouldn't profile the poor oppressed individuals open carrying rifles, their feelings might get hurt.

Profiling is only wrong when its driven by bigotry. Theres nothing wrong with profiling as long as its not driven by an unreasonable hatred of a particular group of people, in fact its used all of the time for various non-nefarious reasons. I'm not sure if its even possible to be bigoted towards 'individuals open carrying rifles'.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Huh?

To be clear, we're debating if someone who sees an open-carried AR-15 and "calmly goes about their business" (direct quote from emperus) deserves a darwin award or not. I say no, they don't deserve a darwin outside of specific circumstances. You and emperus seem to think otherwise.

I never said there would be no change in behavior. There's a change in behavior to everything in one's environment. There's a change in behavior to the freaking air conditioning turning on. I fail to see your point. If you don't react calmly to something, then you are reacting non-calmly, which is to a certain degree synonymous with "tense up".

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
No, my point is that (and pay attention to the string of words and how they are strung together or better known as the sentence) Anyone in our current client who saw someone leave the grocery store, head to their car and return with a loaded AR-15 and calmly goes about their business deserves a Darwin Award. If you want to debate me, debate what I actually wrote, not an iteration you concocted in your mind.

Or maybe you just deserve a Darwin award.

I think you have a cartoon image of what courage is. Most cowards do.

If I saw a guy go get an AR-15 and come back, so long as it remained slung and he didn't appear to be setting up a shot or otherwise acting suspiciously, I'd see a guy with an AR-15, likely a protestor given the recent spat of such protests. Something to be aware of, not something to necessarily react to (outside of being aware of it, given Tom's recent nitpicking).

I think you're a fearful child. As evidenced by the name calling. You in high school?

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Open carry is legal, but I sure as shit wouldnt do it. Only makes trouble. It also makes you a target, which increases your likelihood of being attacked, which is kind of the point of carrying a weapon, to not be a victim.

Also, at 22 he cannot honestly say he grew up being allowed to carry a rifle everywhere.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
I have a friend from Utah; when New Mexico stopped recognizing his concealed carry licence from Utah he was forced into open carry.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
If I saw a guy go get an AR-15 and come back, so long as it remained slung and he didn't appear to be setting up a shot or otherwise acting suspiciously, I'd see a guy with an AR-15, likely a protestor given the recent spat of such protests.

I don't know what I could possibly say that wouldn't be insulting. A guy leaves a store gets a gun and returns and ur first thought is protester? Ok.. Right.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I don't know what I could possibly say that wouldn't be insulting. A guy leaves a store gets a gun and returns and ur first thought is protester? Ok.. Right.

As I said, it would depend on how else he was acting. If he's some dude in a polo and khakis walking calmly/confidently, I'd probably think protestor. If he looked extremely nervous and was wearing a trenchcoat, I'd think "oh shit." Or any other number of possible variations.

Point being the presence of the gun in and of itself would not determine my reaction.

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
The people at the store feared for their safety and lives, that is why they called 911. They were terrorized.
Other's peoples Constitutional freedoms seems to scary the crap out of you. Why?

Wonder how many people in the store were carrying concealed.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Huh?

To be clear, we're debating if someone who sees an open-carried AR-15 and "calmly goes about their business" (direct quote from emperus) deserves a darwin award or not. I say no, they don't deserve a darwin outside of specific circumstances. You and emperus seem to think otherwise.

I never said there would be no change in behavior. There's a change in behavior to everything in one's environment. There's a change in behavior to the freaking air conditioning turning on. I fail to see your point. If you don't react calmly to something, then you are reacting non-calmly, which is to a certain degree synonymous with "tense up".

Here's the thing. He didn't say "react calmly". When you add the word 'react' you change the meaning of what he said.

He was refuting the idea that its perfectly normal for a guy to walk around Krogers with an ar-15. If its normal then there's no need to 'react' to it.

So I don't think you really disagree with him, you just have a different understanding of what he meant.

I believe he meant people who would think this was normal and would take no note of it deserve a Darwin award. Not people who would react calmly.

Something else, not particularly to you but my reaction to some posts here..

Fear and being a coward are not the same thing. Fear is a perfectly normal reaction to a potentially dangerous situation. Being afraid doesn't have anything to do with being a coward. Being afraid can cause a person to behave heroically.

Being a coward is not doing what can be done to help others. It doesn't have to come from fear, it can come from moral terpitude or selfishness.

Chuck_v

Jan 21, 2013
http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/article_42d81e6e-68d9-11e2-afbf-0019bb30f31a.html

WTF is wrong with these gun nuts, they are basically terrorizing people by walking around in public,holding assault weapons. This is really sick, and beyond ridiculous that it isn't illegal. Good for Kroeger for banning this nut case.

Edit: Fine I changed the title, I still say people feared for their lives though.

I walk into a Krogers weekly with a Glock G30 .45 semi-auto and 30 rounds of munitions. The only people who would need to fear me are those who intend to do harm to innocent folks. So far no one in the store fears me.

Chuck_v

Jan 21, 2013
Open carry is legal, but I sure as shit wouldnt do it. Only makes trouble. It also makes you a target, which increases your likelihood of being attacked, which is kind of the point of carrying a weapon, to not be a victim.

Also, at 22 he cannot honestly say he grew up being allowed to carry a rifle everywhere.

At 22 he could have already served four years in the miliatry easily and if he had served he would have from time to time delt with weapons.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I walk into a Krogers weekly with a Glock G30 .45 semi-auto and 30 rounds of munitions. The only people who would need to fear me are those who intend to do harm to innocent folks. So far no one in the store fears me.

If it is concealed then ok. If its open so everyone can see its just like holding your dick in public because you got a 12 incher. What does that prove?