Man, this housing thing is going to get REALLY ugly

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Highways are not typically funded by property tax.

This is one way that suburban and rural areas are subsidized by cities. Highways are built to serve those areas are redistributing wealth primarily from urban to suburban and rural areas.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Until recently, SC had one of the lowest state gas tax in the nation. Gas used to be 10 - 15¢ cheaper simply by crossing the state line.
Yep. Now we've added tax the poor.

A few years back, DOT $ became unaccounted for or just had the shit mismanaged out of it. Never did hear the outcome.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Okay, now I see where you are coming from. Churn is everything. More units to push = more money for you.

I see you are now moving on from just arguing your feels without any facts to projecting your own selfishness.

Do you live in a single family home?

I'm guessing the answer is yes. You just care about what you perceive could be a threat to the value of your home, with zero proof. It seems inconceivable to you that people care about issues that won't just directly benefit them, which to me means you are just projecting your own selfishness. Probably one of the top issues facing this country today - healthcare, housing, wealth inequality, climate change, education, housing is up there.

It's funny, I never thought of upzoning as a benefit to me professionally. It's just a way to start to fix a massive societal problem if done right. And if you break it down, the markets I work are mostly already upzoned, the more dense areas of NJ right on the Hudson River from Edgewater down to Bayonne. So I'm good. It wouldn't help me a bit. The traditional burbs where SFZ is prominent, which are further west, I rarely ever work.

I support a lot of things that would have zero direct benefit to me, something I think you have shown you are unable to also do, and your initial reaction is to protect that onto me. I support education initiatives. I don't have kids, never wanted them. I'm pushing 50 soon. Major improvements to K-12 education done now may help society in my lifetime, towards the end, but not by much. That is for future generations mostly. Not enough for me to care about my own benefit. I care about climate change. Again, something that is not going to majorly affect my life, but help future generations, but I still support initiatives and politicians that want to deal with climate change. I could give a million examples of things I I support that won't benefit me, and some things that would definitely help me, like universal healthcare.

But either way, you have shown here that you can only project, and you have provided zero factual rebuttals to anything or any points or well thought out articles and examples with anything but your selfish feels and hyperbolic nonsensical statements.

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I see you are now moving on from just arguing your feels without any facts to projecting your own selfishness.

I'm guessing the answer is yes. You just care about what you perceive could be a threat to the value of your home, with zero proof. It seems inconceivable to you that people care about issues that won't just directly benefit them, which to me means you are just projecting your own selfishness. Probably one of the top issues facing this country today - healthcare, housing, wealth inequality, climate change, education, housing is up there.

It's funny, I never thought of upzoning as a benefit to me professionally. It's just a way to start to fix a massive societal problem if done right. And if you break it down, the markets I work are mostly already upzoned, the more dense areas of NJ right on the Hudson River from Edgewater down to Bayonne. So I'm good. It wouldn't help me a bit. The traditional burbs where SFZ is prominent, which are further west, I rarely ever work.

I support a lot of things that would have zero direct benefit to me, something I think you have shown you are unable to also do, and your initial reaction is to protect that onto me. I support education initiatives. I don't have kids, never wanted them. I'm pushing 50 soon. Major improvements to K-12 education done now may help society in my lifetime, towards the end, but not by much. That is for future generations mostly. Not enough for me to care about my own benefit. I care about climate change. Again, something that is not going to majorly affect my life, but help future generations, but I still support initiatives and politicians that want to deal with climate change. I could give a million examples of things I I support that won't benefit me, and some things that would definitely help me, like universal healthcare.

But either way, you have shown here that you can only project, and you have provided zero factual rebuttals to anything or any points or well thought out articles and examples with anything but your selfish feels and hyperbolic nonsensical statements.
At the rate you're slaughtering straw, I'm going to have to resurrect my comment about Strauschwitz.

• Haha
Reactions: highland145

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
At the rate you're slaughtering straw, I'm going to have to resurrect my comment about Strauschwitz.
Your ability to not counter a single argument or point with any facts even still, but with just your feels or something you consider a glib statement, is impressive. I will give you that. It's amusing.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Your ability to not counter a single argument or point with any facts even still, but with just your feels or something you consider a glib statement, is impressive. I will give you that. It's amusing.
You've provided no facts, none. You type a lot to be sure and hyperventilate very well but most of your words come down to…

1632005041747.png

Reactions: highland145

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
While no one is paying attention, corporate management companies are buying up houses as fast as they can.

Once they "own" a large swath of single family homes they rent out, they will definitely be in control of housing. People will be caught between a very limited market, and a greedy ass corporation that wants to rent these houses at inflated rates. This trend will take on a snowball effect, and they will snatch up any dwelling as soon as it hits the market, further blocking the average family from owning.

I own two homes, live in one. I constantly get phone calls, mail, email, and even SMS text message wanting to buy, as is and in cash, the address I don't live at. They are usually out of town or state. How the hell they get my cell phone, or email is a mystery. I am not on social media, and nothing linking my name with this info.

I guess they search the county property tax records, looking for property with mailing addresses different from the actual address.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I got three calls in two days this summer asking about selling my house.

Not sure how I got on the list.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You've provided no facts, none. You type a lot to be sure and hyperventilate very well but most of your words come down to…

View attachment 50443

Apparently you can't even read links, articles or any rational arguments breaking down things like the process of how developers respond to being able to upzone, how places build infrastructure around low density housing that you are very against, how long it takes to change neighborhoods, besides screaming 'IT'S BAD! IT'S BAD! IT'S BAD' You've literally made zero rational arguments in this thread. All you say is it's bad, it's gonna be bad, or dumb shit like razing Central Park or destroy communities (another way of saying IT'S BAD!)! I know you are no Trumper, but you are really really trying to compete with them here. It's a Q-Anon level of debate on your part. I think a Trumpie anti-vaxxer I debated with on FB had way more ability to come up with even one cogent thought than what you were able to conjure up here.

Also you won't take a friendly small wager to go to a charity about Minneapolis getting destroyed because they eliminated single family zoning and are allowing 2 or 3 family zoning, something you said would destroy communities.

You just look silly. But keep responding. You look sillier every time.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I got three calls in two days this summer asking about selling my house.

Not sure how I got on the list.

While no one is paying attention, corporate management companies are buying up houses as fast as they can.

Once they "own" a large swath of single family homes they rent out, they will definitely be in control of housing. People will be caught between a very limited market, and a greedy ass corporation that wants to rent these houses at inflated rates. This trend will take on a snowball effect, and they will snatch up any dwelling as soon as it hits the market, further blocking the average family from owning.

I own two homes, live in one. I constantly get phone calls, mail, email, and even SMS text message wanting to buy, as is and in cash, the address I don't live at. They are usually out of town or state. How the hell they get my cell phone, or email is a mystery. I am not on social media, and nothing linking my name with this info.

I guess they search the county property tax records, looking for property with mailing addresses different from the actual address.

Are either of you going to sell now that you've gotten calls to sell?

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Probably not right now.

I'm thinking of eventually moving to the Smyrna/Vinings/Buckhead/John's Creek area of Atlanta but not until late next year at the earliest. I have some friends down there and I really love the area.

I'd like to think the housing market will continue to cool a bit.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Hopefully it does and then regressive NIMBY's who couldn't argue their way out of a paper bag about how mild and planned upzoning destroys neighborhoods can shut up and move somewhere else. It should hold up, local governments can have laws within reason - overly restrictive zoning should not be one of them.

This will help solve one of California's biggest crises, very high housing prices. All you have to do to deal with some planned upzoning in the right areas is build infrastructure as needed. I've seen it happen. All it takes is planning and commitment. I hope they do this with more of a European model. As evidenced by articles in this thread, you can build slighly more density while having even more thriving municipalities - more revenue, more jobs, more businesses can be supported. Just NIMBY's who can't counter that spout alarmist nonsense about how it isn't possible with zero evidence of anything.

Have you been to California? In LA there's absolutely no room to build more SFH unless you're building way out in places like Thousand Oaks that are very far away from what one may consider an urban center. The Bay Area is the same. I'm not really sure what this solves. Why not go after corporations that are needlessly forcing their employees back into the office after having them work from home an entire year? Having 35% of your population able to move away from urban centers would help more than this, imo. Everyone's trying to be cramped into some geolocation so their commute isn't awful when it isn't necessary.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
LA could use some more density but I dunno if earthquakes discourage builders from doing it.

Everyone's trying to be cramped into some geolocation so their commute isn't awful when it isn't necessary.

It is though. New Grads really need to be in the office. Any company which feasts off of them really should be pushing hard to return to office. Since you mentioned the Bay Area I think the only reason Tech Companies aren't is because of PR but they will go back eventually.

Dec 10, 2005
Have you been to California? In LA there's absolutely no room to build more SFH unless you're building way out in places like Thousand Oaks that are very far away from what one may consider an urban center. The Bay Area is the same. I'm not really sure what this solves. Why not go after corporations that are needlessly forcing their employees back into the office after having them work from home an entire year? Having 35% of your population able to move away from urban centers would help more than this, imo. Everyone's trying to be cramped into some geolocation so their commute isn't awful when it isn't necessary.
Why do we have to force people to move away? Maybe some want to be full remote, and would move away, but there are may also still be others who want to stay in the area because of the amenities that a city offers. And others want to be in an office. Working remote isn't for everyone.

Why do we artificially restrict housing in these cities to majority SFH and dedicate so much space to parking? There is plenty of room for more homes, just not for SFHs.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
To make matters even worse, there are capital gains taxes on houses now. So when you do move you're going to take a huge hit if your house value went up since you bought. I did not realize this had actually went into effect already but that's what my mom was telling me as she is in the middle of dealing with that for a family member. This basically reduces your buying power since you will basically lose a big chunk of the sale from your existing house so you can't just buy a house that costs as much as your house is worth now and expect to break even.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This basically reduces your buying power since you will basically lose a big chunk of the sale from your existing house so you can't just buy a house that costs as much as your house is worth now and expect to break even.
In the USA, they have what's called "the wash rule", at least for real estate (AFAIK, this is not financial advice, and I am not a lawyer), my understanding is that if you sell property/real estate, and then turn around and use that money to buy another property within a certain timeframe, and those valuations are similar, then you don't necessarily have to pay Capital Gains tax on that sale. Don't take my word for it, though, talk to a lawyer.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
To make matters even worse, there are capital gains taxes on houses now. So when you do move you're going to take a huge hit if your house value went up since you bought. I did not realize this had actually went into effect already but that's what my mom was telling me as she is in the middle of dealing with that for a family member. This basically reduces your buying power since you will basically lose a big chunk of the sale from your existing house so you can't just buy a house that costs as much as your house is worth now and expect to break even.

primary residence that you stay in more than 5 years are exempt. seriously how can you know so little about law?

Reactions: Brainonska511

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
primary residence that you stay in more than 5 years are exempt. seriously how can you know so little about law?

Uhh I'm not a lawyer? Law is a complicated matter and changes all the time, it's not really common knowledge unless you are in the industry or dealing directly with it, at which point you'd have a lawyer that would tell you everything. Good to know houses you've been in for a while are exempt though. Still sucks if an unforeseen circumstance arises and you need to move sooner though.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Uhh I'm not a lawyer? Law is a complicated matter and changes all the time, it's not really common knowledge unless you are in the industry or dealing directly with it, at which point you'd have a lawyer that would tell you everything. Good to know houses you've been in for a while are exempt though. Still sucks if an unforeseen circumstance arises and you need to move sooner though.

It is common knowledge for every bloody homeowner. This is not new, probably in place when your parents bought their house. The only thing that changed in 2016 is that you have to report it on tax return.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Why do we have to force people to move away? Maybe some want to be full remote, and would move away, but there are may also still be others who want to stay in the area because of the amenities that a city offers. And others want to be in an office. Working remote isn't for everyone.

I keep an eye on the core Chicago market and return to office plus people who just want city amenities has driven the rental occupancy rate ABOVE the pre-pandemic high. Landlords have had to slow their leasing at new buildings to avoid all their units from turning over at the same time. The city for its part has been approving 10s of thousands of new apartment units in the last year resulting in the fattest development pipeline seen in recent memory.

Also saw that rents are exploding in NYC where people who got concessions last year are seeing like 50-70% rent increases. The demise of the city has been greatly exaggerated, though not all will recover so quickly.

Reactions: Brainonska511

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Why do we artificially restrict housing in these cities to majority SFH

Because non-poor families want to live in an SFH.

and dedicate so much space to parking? There is plenty of room for more homes, just not for SFHs.

That is because of fears in a bear market that an apartment or condo complex will turn into de facto projects if it doesn't have adequate parking since that's a deal breaker for most middle class and up people. NYC is the one exception to this.