Man, this housing thing is going to get REALLY ugly

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
But there's a lot of hoops they have to go through in order to be able to do that. Especially given their stay could be very temporary. It's one less thing for them to worry about coming over here.
Huh, looks like 1.2m are staying forever this year.

Skilled, technical, degrees workers. Amirite?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
If they all looked like this group of Scandinavians the entire Republican party would be climbing over each other to give them full citizenship

Actually companies prefer not letting them get citizenship and force them to stay on the visa. Makes it difficult (albeit not impossible) to change jobs.

Pushing citizenship is all Democrats.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
Yes, I'm also referencing companies/jobs that work behind computers. Think Silicon Valley, think accounting firms, think law firms, think advertising, think investment banking. All done by people at computers. There is no way all those jobs are best done fully remote. People do benefit from three dimensional land.

I don't know...

frbes.PNG

Sounds like the benefits of the time a person gets back when they aren't commuting, or even wasting a full 8 hours sitting in an office for a job that takes maybe 5 are pretty nice! Because otherwise the remaining "on company" time isn't productive for anyone.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I don't know...

View attachment 51266

Sounds like the benefits of the time a person gets back when they aren't commuting, or even wasting a full 8 hours sitting in an office for a job that takes maybe 5 are pretty nice! Because otherwise the remaining "on company" time isn't productive for anyone.

I'm not sure what your point is. I never argued the work week doesn't need to be adjusted and shouldn't be more flexible, in fact I think a full-time work week should be 4 days/32 hours. Whether or not people can have more flexible hours in general, I stand by the statement that for many jobs having face time in three dimensional land is definitely beneficial and creates interactions and situations that contribute positively to the workplace.

Nov 20, 2009
My employer doesn't know what each toe is doing let alone each finger. On a team call our boss says we'll continue to be working remotely 100% of the time through the end of the year. Thirty-six hours later the organization I'm under says you are coming back into the office part-time starting next week. Then the company's corp real estate announces that the location I work at is condensing consumed space and forcing everyone on floor X to floor X-1 making it even harder for everyone to come into the bloody office. Three decisions by makers affecting me and my peers and manager and none of them talked to one another about the consequences. So, now everyone one is tripling up compared to pre-COVID and they don;t even consider how that will effect future outbreaks in the workplace. And that's how Ma Bell operates these days. So, the cringe to stay at home, even buy a home to stay in, is daunting if you don't already have one.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
My employer doesn't know what each toe is doing let alone each finger. On a team call our boss says we'll continue to be working remotely 100% of the time through the end of the year. Thirty-six hours later the organization I'm under says you are coming back into the office part-time starting next week. Then the company's corp real estate announces that the location I work at is condensing consumed space and forcing everyone on floor X to floor X-1 making it even harder for everyone to come into the bloody office. Three decisions by makers affecting me and my peers and manager and none of them talked to one another about the consequences. So, now everyone one is tripling up compared to pre-COVID and they don;t even consider how that will effect future outbreaks in the workplace. And that's how Ma Bell operates these days. So, the cringe to stay at home, even buy a home to stay in, is daunting if you don't already have one.

Sounds like job cuts are in your future.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
it's weird because i live in a place where it seems like nobody wants to move to

but the houses are still selling at double price from 2 years ago

there's so few available, it might just be the people looking to upgrade or move out of an apartment who are getting screwed

who knows though? with inflation, these house prices could be considered cheap in 5 years
F1PvrRb.png

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
No one works at Ma Bell and not live under the continuous threat of being shown the door.
Ha, one of my friends took a package a few years back. Came back in a few months ago as a sub. Yesterday she said that she really didn't need their BS and might quit again. Granted, she had 25+ years when she left the 1st time.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I don't know how much rent prices have been discussed over the past 12 pages but I think their inclusion in the discussion is valid.

I talked to a dear old friend today. He found an apartment in a really nice complex about 6 years ago at a very (imo)reasonable price - around $1000 a month. He saw slight manageable increases over the first few years that had him up to $1200 a month.

Two years ago it jumped to $1400 a month and his current contract has him paying around $1550. His complex has a few hundred apartments and only 14 one bedroom units are available as of now.

Those are now renting for $1790 a month (!). He's panicking about his next lease. It really sucks to see stuff like that.

This is mid town Atlanta, in case anyone was interested. Right near the Home Depot HQ.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I don't know how much rent prices have been discussed over the past 12 pages but I think their inclusion in the discussion is valid.

I talked to a dear old friend today. He found an apartment in a really nice complex about 6 years ago at a very (imo)reasonable price - around $1000 a month. He saw slight manageable increases over the first few years that had him up to $1200 a month.

Two years ago it jumped to $1400 a month and his current contract has him paying around $1550. His complex has a few hundred apartments and only 14 one bedroom units are available as of now.

Those are now renting for $1790 a month (!). He's panicking about his next lease. It really sucks to see stuff like that.

This is mid town Atlanta, in case anyone was interested. Right near the Home Depot HQ.

Cheaper to just buy a house.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

Besides lack of supply, nearly half of my rental income goes to someone else. And if something big breaks, this becomes a not so fun hobby.
Cheaper to just buy a house.
If you can find one. Was looking for another townhouse. Exactly 1 for sale $150k. Nothing else under $200....and they are "ready for construction."

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Besides lack of supply, nearly half of my rental income goes to someone else. And if something big breaks, this becomes a not so fun hobby.

If you can find one. Was looking for another townhouse. Exactly 1 for sale $150k. Nothing else under $200....and they are "ready for construction."

The old Lady and I were talking about this the other day. We could make some money on our house if we sold it. But then you would have a hell of a time finding somewhere to live that is reasonable.

Bump that I think I'll stay where I am.

Reactions: highland145

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I don't know...

View attachment 51266

Interesting but people already date, take naps, and do side hustles on company time at work. (Some people even are having sex ie refer to some of facebooks workplace culture lawsuits). And don't forget companies are paying a pretty penny for the office space whilst they're doing it.

The old Lady and I were talking about this the other day. We could make some money on our house if we sold it. But then you would have a hell of a time finding somewhere to live that is reasonable.

Bump that I think I'll stay where I am.

I don't know how old you are but in my town its pretty common for elderly people to sell their massive homes at a large profit and move into cheap small apartments. They get tired of the constant maintenance and as they get older have issues with stairs and etc and just want to downsize.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I don't know how old you are but in my town its pretty common for elderly people to sell their massive homes at a large profit and move into cheap small apartments. They get tired of the constant maintenance and as they get older have issues with stairs and etc and just want to downsize.

I'm 67 in a few months. This is the primary reason I did not buy a house that was too large for me and made sure it was a single story ranch and easy to maintain. Paid 70K for it back in 1995. I'm sure the value is quite a bit higher today.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Noticed a bunch of signs in my area "Will buy houses CASH any condition!" with a number to call. No company name or anything like that. Feels sketchy. Guessing these are investment firms that will try to low ball people for their house then sell it for profit and take advantage of this crazy market.

I'm just so glad I managed to score my 40 acre property in this crazy storm, I really lucked out.
Those were a fixture in the area where I lived for a few years, when I was selling my houses I figured I'd give one a call. Sent him some pics, he asked how much I wanted, and he told me they buy houses like that for $15-20k all the time. I said, uh, sure you do, and ended up selling for way, way more than that.