Man calls 911, then shoots burglars while on the phone with 911

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
It must be tough to deal with this in Texas, on one hand, they absolutely love throwing people on the electric chair, on the other hand, this guy killed two illegals. Tough balance for them.

Feb 24, 2001
While I don't agree with his actions, at least there are 2 less shitbags out there. He's been cleared by a grand jury.

HOUSTON -- A suburban Houston homeowner was cleared by a grand jury Monday for shooting to death two men he suspected of burglarizing his neighbor's home.
Joe Horn, 61, shot the two men last November after he saw them crawling out the windows of a neighbor's house in Pasadena, a Houston suburb.
Horn, a retired grandfather, called 911 and told the dispatcher he had a shotgun and was going to kill them. The dispatcher pleaded with him not to go outside, but Horn confronted the men with a 12-gauge shotgun and shot both in the back.
"The message we're trying to send today is the criminal justice system works," Harris County District Attorney Kenneth Magidson told reporters at the courthouse.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Nebor
Under Texas law, this guy walks. Deadly force is authorized to stop a felony in progress. Same in most states. Why do you people think criminals have rights during the commission of their crimes?

He'll never be arrested or spend a day in jail. He will almost certainly go before a Grand Jury and be no billed though.

Holy jesus, I can predict the future 7 months in advance! :D

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Sigh...I don't know. I believe that while some people may be more capable of identifying thieves in their neighbor's yards at night than others, I would not feel safe knowing that my neighbors were ready to shoot people on my property. While I realize that what they are willing to do is an attempt to act in my best interest, they could easily mistake a thief for someone who just happens to be in my yard at late at night. That or they could misfire into my window. Personally, I would rather risk thieves getting away with such things than be in a neighborhood full of vigilantes. That's just me though.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Under Texas law, this guy walks. Deadly force is authorized to stop a felony in progress. Same in most states. Why do you people think criminals have rights during the commission of their crimes?

He'll never be arrested or spend a day in jail. He will almost certainly go before a Grand Jury and be no billed though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe in Texas the guy walks, the Nebor delusion is that in most states, the guy does not walk
and instead faces both criminal and civil liability.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
While I don't agree with his actions, at least there are 2 less shitbags out there. He's been cleared by a grand jury.

HOUSTON -- A suburban Houston homeowner was cleared by a grand jury Monday for shooting to death two men he suspected of burglarizing his neighbor's home.
Joe Horn, 61, shot the two men last November after he saw them crawling out the windows of a neighbor's house in Pasadena, a Houston suburb.
Horn, a retired grandfather, called 911 and told the dispatcher he had a shotgun and was going to kill them. The dispatcher pleaded with him not to go outside, but Horn confronted the men with a 12-gauge shotgun and shot both in the back.
"The message we're trying to send today is the criminal justice system works," Harris County District Attorney Kenneth Magidson told reporters at the courthouse.
:disgust:

Can't believe this guy got off.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Lemon law

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe in Texas the guy walks, the Nebor delusion is that in most states, the guy does not walk

Delusion? I didn't say SHIT about other states, so fuck you. I said "Under Texas law, this guy walks."

So who said anything about "most states," other than you? And we all know that what you say isn't worth much (especially considering you lack my fortune telling abilities.)

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: frostedflakes

Yea, I mean, I'm sure you know more about this case from those 5 words than the grand jury that cleared him. I hope you are never called for jury duty.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Delusion? I didn't say SHIT about other states, so fuck you. I said "Under Texas law, this guy walks."

So who said anything about "most states," other than you? And we all know that what you say isn't worth much (especially considering you lack my fortune telling abilities.)

See both bolded statements. Does not compute.

He would not have walked in most states. Texas is batshit insane sometimes, but so are most states when it comes to one thing or another. In the case of Texas, they are gun crazy and protection crazy.

Originally posted by: JD50

Yea, I mean, I'm sure you know more about this case from those 5 words than the grand jury that cleared him. I hope you are never called for jury duty.

It's not that difficult to figure out what happened based on all of the info provided. Thieves were at work. 911 was called. The neighbor went out and killed the thieves despite being told not to. End of story. The rest is just details which do not matter very much. From there it is simply a question of whether or not you want the people in your state to take the law into their own hands or not in the case of a neighbor's property.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

In most states this guy goes to trial for some version of homicide. Whether he's found guilty or not, different question. But most states do not permit civilians to fire upon people engaged in a robbery of their neighbor's house, especially after telegraphing to a 911 operator his intent to go kill them. In fact, I believe the number of states authorizing deadly force to protect property and chattels is very small.

"Lambright said Horn didn't expect to be involved in a shooting, but rather expected to see the two men running or driving away.
"He thought he was gathering evidence for the police department," [Horn's attorney] said."

Um...

"Horn called 911 first, and told a police dispatcher that he planned to kill the two men -- just moments before he opened fire. "I'm not going to let them go. I'm not going to let them get away with this," Joe Horn tells the dispatcher."

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
re: jonks
I believe that a majority of states have laws authorizing the use of deadly force to stop a felony in progress.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
I believe that a majority of states have laws authorizing the use of deadly force to stop a felony in progress.

:thumbsup:

I would do the same for my neighbors, and they would do the same for me.

When a thief stole copper from my neighbor's shed, he specifically told us to kill them if we saw them trying it again.

whylaff

Oct 31, 2007
This isn?t really surprising. Texas law is pretty clear on the use of deadly force when protecting the property of others.

May 16, 2000

:thumbsup:

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Xavier434

See both bolded statements. Does not compute.

He would not have walked in most states. Texas is batshit insane sometimes, but so are most states when it comes to one thing or another. In the case of Texas, they are gun crazy and protection crazy.

It's not that difficult to figure out what happened based on all of the info provided. Thieves were at work. 911 was called. The neighbor went out and killed the thieves despite being told not to. End of story. The rest is just details which do not matter very much. From there it is simply a question of whether or not you want the people in your state to take the law into their own hands or not in the case of a neighbor's property.

Ooooh, nice, but not quite.

911 operators have NO AUTHORITY whatsoever. Period. They can't tell you to do or not do anything and have it have any force. In fact, numerous lawsuits have come up from 911 telling people to do things that then resulted in their injury or deaths, like telling people to put their guns down when there were criminals coming for them. Dispatch can request, they can suggest, they can ask, plead, etc...but not only do you NOT have to obey them, if anything happens to you as a result of following their suggestions you can sue for every dime the county has.

Rather you personally believe in confronting criminals or not, he acted in accordance with all laws 100%, at least right up until he pulled the trigger. Now, what we don't know is rather there was any reason to believe he was in danger from the criminals once he was outside. If they threatened him in any way then he had the absolute legal and moral right to drop them. Being shot in the back just means they turned sometime during the conflict, it doesn't automatically make his actions wrong. Now, if they were not threatening at any point, then I believe he was wrong, but I also don't mind him not being punished for it because they were wretched wastes of human flesh anyway, and I'm superiorly glad that they're dead.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: frostedflakes

Good, hopefully dirtbags like the tow dead thugs will think twice before turning to such open brazen crime.

Joe Horn :beer: :thumbsup:

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Xavier434

Are you being serious? I've seen some of your other posts and you didn't seem this ignorant. The details are probably the most important part.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Originally posted by: sirjonk
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
The story so far...

Mr. Horn has yet to be charged, police are still investigating.

The election for mayor or the town is coming up, all of the 7 candidates felt he should not be charged, that gives you a hint about what will happen (prob a no bill by the grand jury)

Both of the burglars have turned out to be illegal immigrants with multiple aliases, one was deported in 99' & was on probation.

The victim's who were burglarized were Vietnamese business owners, it's suspected they were singled out because they were likely to have cash around the house, and the burglars were found with $2K in cash evidently from the house. The burglary ring they were part of preys on non native business people because of their habit of keeping cash around the house.

Castle doctrine law

I bolded what will be admissible in the grand jury.

Fixed, and what police chief wants to start off by pissing off his new boss?

Goddamn I love living in Texas :D

LongTimePCUser

Jul 1, 2000

Actually most states require that you can use deadly force only if a life is in immediate danger. When people are shot in the back they are fleeing you and are not an immediate danger. I know that he claimed that he thought his life was in danger. But they were still shot in the back. That means that they thought their lives were in danger and were running away from him.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
When I was about 20, I was over at a friend's house, and we heard a commotion across the street and then a shot. His neighbor had killed a 14 year-old kid who was stealing change out of the ashtray of his POS struggle-buggy Chevy Luv. The kid had been running away, completely unarmed, the guy had taken careful aim and got him with the shotgun at about 100 feet in the back of the head. I watched that kid die, blind from having his occipital lobe blown off and crying to his mommy. And this wasn't some 'criminal,' he was a good kid, athlete and honor student, who made a stupid choice that night and got vigilante justice. And this wasn't a bad neighborhood, but vanilla suburban middle class. The neighbor got 8 months for manslaughter, a travesty of justice IMO. When he got out, we rode him out of town on a fucking rail.

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
When I was about 20, I was over at a friend's house, and we heard a commotion across the street and then a shot. His neighbor had killed a 14 year-old kid who was stealing change out of the ashtray of his POS struggle-buggy Chevy Luv. The kid had been running away, completely unarmed, the guy had taken careful aim and got him with the shotgun at about 100 feet in the back of the head. I watched that kid die, blind from having his occipital lobe blown off and crying to his mommy. And this wasn't some 'criminal,' he was a good kid, athlete and honor student, who made a stupid choice that night and got vigilante justice. And this wasn't a bad neighborhood, but vanilla suburban middle class. The neighbor got 8 months for manslaughter, a travesty of justice IMO. When he got out, we rode him out of town on a fucking rail.

Ahem, contradictory much?

Don't steal, you won't die. It ain't rocket science.

If anything I'd say you all should be charged for riding him out of town. He served his time, justice served. Don't like it, move or change the law.