Man buys Hummer, Eco-terrorists wreck it

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
I confess, I've totally been tempted to do the same thing to hummer's I've seen on the street.

back before I had a driveway and had to park 3-4 blocks away from my house every night because parking sucks on the street, it used to make me so bad to see these jackasses in hummers and huge trucks/suv's taking up 3 spots by themselves.

over exaggeration for the win!

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Shivetya
I confess, I've totally been tempted to do the same thing to hummer's I've seen on the street.

back before I had a driveway and had to park 3-4 blocks away from my house every night because parking sucks on the street, it used to make me so bad to see these jackasses in hummers and huge trucks/suv's taking up 3 spots by themselves.

over exaggeration for the win!

ok... 2 and a half spots. but it's effectively 3 if you're not in a motorcycle ;)

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
If the smugness cloud over this guy's neighborhood merges with the smugness cloud generated by George Clooney's acceptance speech, we are all doomed.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Who that drives a Hummer worries about the black kid he is killing with asthma? It's legal to kill people with pollution but not to beat up polluting cars. It's funny how things are like that.

Bullcrap, Hummers run cleaner than motorcycles because they have pollution control

GDaddy

Mar 30, 2006
When will people start worrying about themselves instead of everyone else, these cowards in masks have no guts to face the man themselves, instead they hide behind masks and self righteous ideals. The same as people here say "i dont condone vandalism, but i understand", more worried about sticking it to the "man" then living thier own lives as best as can be. I hope they find the cowards and give them the hardest sentence they can, but wont because its not "PC".

I have no right to smash anyone else's property, and no one has the right to smash mine.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
I love all the liberals trying to justify their hatred in this story...

Look at all the "but I don't condone violence" statements
If they were really outraged by the violence the first thing out of their mouths would be "I don't condone violence"

I do like the comment about this being a 'hate crime' maybe if they catch these guys they can charge them with that crime in addition to the others they committed.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: GDaddy
When will people start worrying about themselves instead of everyone else, these cowards in masks have no guts to face the man themselves, instead they hide behind masks and self righteous ideals. The same as people here say "i dont condone vandalism, but i understand", more worried about sticking it to the "man" then living thier own lives as best as can be. I hope they find the cowards and give them the hardest sentence they can, but wont because its not "PC".

I have no right to smash anyone else's property, and no one has the right to smash mine.

Thanks First Lieutenant Obvious. Did you see someone say otherwise here? People have called the guy eco-insensitive and questioned anyone's need for a hummer, but I didn't see anyone say what the vandals did was legit or that the guy deserved it.

But everything happens in context. [insert ridiculous example to illustrate point:] When someone rapes a teenage girl and the girl's father hunts down and kills the guy (and hopes he burns in hell!) prescutors still charge for murder, and juries still convict. That doesn't mean people can't possibly say that they "understand" the father's motivations while simultaneously condemning his actions.

As I do here.

In fact, the only illegal activity I see condoned on this thread has been for vigilantism and suggestions of the death penalty for a couple of vandals. That's what they do in China probably. A good model for the US.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: ProfJohn

If they were really outraged by the violence the first thing out of their mouths would be "I don't condone violence"

I do like the comment about this being a 'hate crime' maybe if they catch these guys they can charge them with that crime in addition to the others they committed.

Just like you radical righties skirting the issue and trying to spin.

Bottom line is your heroes have created this environment and it is only going to get a lot worse before it gets better until your kind no longer is destroying this country.

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Just like you radical righties skirting the issue and trying to spin.

Bottom line is your heroes have created this environment and it is only going to get a lot worse before it gets better until your kind no longer is destroying this country.

and when called on their behaviour they change the subject!

typical, blame someone else.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

I think people should be able to drive whatever they can afford and obviously whoever vandalized this vehicle is clearly in the wrong.

That said, unless this person has a better reason to be driving around in a gas guzzling SUV other then "image" he should have to pay extra for the privledge.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
I don't exactly think these eco-nuts were attacking the right person. This man obviously worked for his crappy vehicle.

They should have destroyed UN-SOLD hummers in a car lot or something, instead. Not that I think that is alright to do, but still, why go after someone who already received the painful punishment of paying his hard-earned money for a P.O.S.?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: GoPackGo
I certainly don't condone what happened to this guy.

However it clearly shows the country is getting more fed up with the rich everyday.

You reap what you sow.

Dave, and H3 starts at 29000, and his was 38

The H2 starts at 55k...

Heck...the new Saturn Outlook is 40k.

The little Saturn Vue I drive was 23...

This guy is probably middle to upper middle class...but probably by no means "rich"

plus he lives with his mommy...

RedChief

Dec 20, 2004
For all those out there condoning this, its a damned H3. Its basically a Chevy full size pickup truck w/ a different body. How many environuts are going to start vandalizing pickup trucks now?

GDaddy

Mar 30, 2006
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Thanks First Lieutenant Obvious. Did you see someone say otherwise here? People have called the guy eco-insensitive and questioned anyone's need for a hummer, but I didn't see anyone say what the vandals did was legit or that the guy deserved it.

But everything happens in context. [insert ridiculous example to illustrate point:] When someone rapes a teenage girl and the girl's father hunts down and kills the guy (and hopes he burns in hell!) prescutors still charge for murder, and juries still convict. That doesn't mean people can't possibly say that they "understand" the father's motivations while simultaneously condemning his actions.

As I do here.

In fact, the only illegal activity I see condoned on this thread has been for vigilantism and suggestions of the death penalty for a couple of vandals. That's what they do in China probably. A good model for the US.

I did many times over, just not in the exact words. Like the men in masks. And i never suggested going after the men in masks. I have a problem with people hiding behind masks. Also i was responding to all the posts, that appeared before mine, about how poeple cheered for the men in masks, because it was sticking it to the rich, the auto companies, and non "liberal" people in general, and standing up for the enviroment, when really its just their own self righteous ideas.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

However it clearly shows the country is getting more fed up with the rich everyday.

You reap what you sow.

You mean like yacht owners?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: sirjonk

As I do here.

I did many times over, just not in the exact words. Like the men in masks. And i never suggested going after the men in masks. I have a problem with people hiding behind masks. Also i was responding to all the posts, that appeared before mine, about how poeple cheered for the men in masks, because it was sticking it to the rich, the auto companies, and non "liberal" people in general, and standing up for the enviroment, when really its just their own self righteous ideas.

Nice spin, but show me one. There's only about 25 posts before yours. Show me where the vandals were cheered. And don't give me a selective quote. If someone said, "what the vandals did was wrong, but it shows how people are fed up with the rich," that's called condemning bad behavior and an observation of the motive, not cheering the bad guy.

Of course you could just quote "shows how people are fed up with the rich" and spin it your way, but thats taking something out of context, isn't it? Don't be a politician or the drive-by press on this one.

GDaddy

Mar 30, 2006

Here is one, moonbeams before it, Dave's earlier, but he prefaced it by saying he does not condone, but he is hapy they are sticking it to the rich.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Wait, he left his car sitting outside for 5 days in Washington DC and he didn't expect it to be totaled?

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: BoberFett

You reap what you sow.

You mean like yacht owners?

Oh Snap!

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Here is one, moonbeams before it, Dave's earlier, but he prefaced it by saying he does not condone, but he is hapy they are sticking it to the rich.

You don't want to post what they said because it shows you were wrong. So I'll do it.

The one above says he understands the vandals' motivation. I notice he says he has been tempted to do what they did, but didn't, because clearly he realizes that it would be criminal behavior, and wrong. He didn't endorse what they did, just understood it.

Moonbeam said "The people want higher fuel economy standards put into law but they are blocked in this desire by the auto and oil company lobbyists. Maybe Americans are turning to revolution." If you know Moonbeam posts, they're all pretty sarcastic and his sig even tells you this in case you misinterpret. But his statement here can't possibly be read as an endorsement or cheering of the vandals. He observes once again that this criminal behavior might be caused by a frustration against the big oil lobby and crooked politicians. You equate examining reasons for criminal behavior with endorsement of it?

Dave's post you bravely state prefaces his comment with his unequivocal condemnation of the criminal act, but you then twist his sentiment into him being "happy they are sticking it to the rich." Here's what he actually said. "However it clearly shows the country is getting more fed up with the rich everyday." Another conjecture into why this might have happened, that you spin into him not only endorsing the vandals, but being happy about it.

You should go work for a politician or O'Reilly.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
most V8 pickups get 14mpg why arent the nut jobs wrecking those?

my 1995 GMC 1500 got 15mpg on a good day with a tailwind.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

You reap what you sow.
As is typical Dave posts total BS.
How much do you think a Volvo cost Dave?

have you priced out a brand new loaded pickup? your talking 40K. thats right 40K for a FORD PICKUP!!! i can by a poor man's merc for that.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: child of wonder
I don't condone the act of violence, but is there really any legitimate reason for a civilian to drive a Hummer?

Because they can? What position do you have in life that you can dictate what others do with their money?

Since a Hummer burns so much gas needlessly and a large chunk of change goes to the Middle East to purchase the oil needed to make that gas, I kind of don't like it that some people feel the need to burn far more than needed just to have the biggest vehicle on the road.

Not to mention the environmental consequences.