Man accidentally shoots himself in testicles! CCW FTL

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
What does CCW have to do with this thread? This is basically what Plaxico Burress did too, he just had better (worse?) aim.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Yep, definitely sounds more like the fool was trying to be "gangsta" than he was CCW.

Oh well, at least now, when he goes to prison, they won't have to worry about giving him a reach-around!! D:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I'd say with certain guns yes. I feel safe enough with my kimber to carry it just in my waistband, but it's not something I normally do. Most holsters offer little protection for safety mechanisms but typically cover the trigger area.

It still completely baffles me as to how this could have happened in either case. I see no possible way you could have activated the trigger accidentally despite how little pressure it might require.
I think plaxico's slipped down and he grabbed it, pulling the trigger.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
"It takes balls to tuck a weapon into your waist band. So, I guess he won't be doing it again"

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I think plaxico's slipped down and he grabbed it, pulling the trigger.

Which is the main issue I can see with carrying in a waistband. For the brief amount of time I've worn without a holster it felt pretty snug, but this was only over the course of an hour or so. Going all day without one would be very irresponsible.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Which is the main issue I can see with carrying in a waistband. For the brief amount of time I've worn without a holster it felt pretty snug, but this was only over the course of an hour or so. Going all day without one would be very irresponsible.
What, no balls?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Sigh, great, more reasons for them to try to put stronger ccw laws in place here in WA.

And to the person who said that only idiots would carry in their waistband - The majority of concealed carry is IWB - In waistband. If you do it right, you should NEVER have an accidental discharge. The likelihood in this case is that he probably was carried unsafetied and had one already in the chamber, single action. I can see no probably way how this happened without him grabbing for it though or a malfunction.

I have a single action kimber - It has a manual lever safety, as well as a grip safety, I carry loaded and cocked.

The only possible way that it could go off is if I both somehow deactivated the lever safety and had pressure on the back of the grip. The chances of this happening are nearly 0.

Double actions also require a significant amount of pressure to both chamber and fire the round.

In your waistband and in your waistband with an IWB holster are 2 different things.

Holsters FTW!

No mention on revolver or semi-auto. Could have discharged in several ways.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I'd say with certain guns yes. I feel safe enough with my kimber to carry it just in my waistband, but it's not something I normally do. Most holsters offer little protection for safety mechanisms but typically cover the trigger area.

It still completely baffles me as to how this could have happened in either case. I see no possible way you could have activated the trigger accidentally despite how little pressure it might require.

Bolded part is pretty much the point.

a holster is there for retention, not just safety. it prevents the gun from falling down your fucking pant leg. it also makes it easier to reach when you need it because it won't shift or move.

gun probably started falling down his pants and he went to grab it by instinct and accidentally pulled the trigger. or maybe the trigger got caught on his boxers and he tried to adjust the gun or something like that.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
There's a vas deferens between holster or not.

Not bad.. not great, but I appreciate the effort. ;)

I fail to see how this has anything to do with a CCW/CWP/CWL fail. Carrying in your waistband without a holster is just idiotic, and in additional this guy obviously wasn't carrying on-safe or didn't care for the gun enough to prevent malfunction. Idiots like this give concealed carry a bad rap.

Yourself

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2000
Lol...was there at the store about 5 minutes after it happened. The ambo wasn't even there yet. Guy was silent on the floor of the next aisle over from where I was shopping...guy who witnessed it, said he went into shock immediately.

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
Not bad.. not great, but I appreciate the effort. ;)

I fail to see how this has anything to do with a CCW/CWP/CWL fail. Carrying in your waistband without a holster is just idiotic, and in additional this guy obviously wasn't carrying on-safe or didn't care for the gun enough to prevent malfunction. Idiots like this give concealed carry a bad rap.

It doesn't, the OP put it there as troll bait.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Lol...was there at the store about 5 minutes after it happened. The ambo wasn't even there yet. Guy was silent on the floor of the next aisle over from where I was shopping...guy who witnessed it, said he went into shock immediately.
No shit. Most of us would if we had been that stupid.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Sigh, great, more reasons for them to try to put stronger ccw laws in place here in WA.

And to the person who said that only idiots would carry in their waistband - The majority of concealed carry is IWB - In waistband. If you do it right, you should NEVER have an accidental discharge. The likelihood in this case is that he probably was carried unsafetied and had one already in the chamber, single action. I can see no probably way how this happened without him grabbing for it though or a malfunction.

I have a single action kimber - It has a manual lever safety, as well as a grip safety, I carry loaded and cocked.

The only possible way that it could go off is if I both somehow deactivated the lever safety and had pressure on the back of the grip. The chances of this happening are nearly 0.

Double actions also require a significant amount of pressure to both chamber and fire the round.

damn yo, u r gangsta

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I also don't like how this is a "accidental discharge". No, it's negligent. It happened because of negligence. The trigger was pulled, it's up to the owner to make sure that doesn't happen unless they mean to pull it.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

You're an idiot if you carry a 1911 clone cocked and locked in your waistband...or any gun for that matter but especially a single action gun like the Kimber.

You should NEVER carry a handgun in anything other than a holster designed for that particular gun.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
You're an idiot if you carry a 1911 clone cocked and locked in your waistband...or any gun for that matter but especially a single action gun like the Kimber.

You should NEVER carry a handgun in anything other than a holster designed for that particular gun.

Modern 1911 clones all feature firing pin safeties. The chances of one discharging when dropped are slim. While I wouldn't carry one without a holster, it's really not any more unsafe.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
A handgun without a safety switch seems kinda stupid imo. Am I missing something?

And what is CCW? Sorry I'm a gun noob.

Almost all handguns have some sort of safety, it's just not always a switch. For instance, my Springfield xD-9 has a trigger and palm safety. Basically, for my gun to fire you have to be pressing the back of the gun and press a thin trigger safety before pressing the trigger. The likelihood of this happening is slim to nil.

Some glocks only have the trigger safety, and some small carry weapons have no safety, just a very strong required trigger pull.

definitely nothing wrong with CCW.

but CCW with a round chambered in something you don't have 100% absolute faith in the safety mechanisms = FTL

personally, i'd never carry anything with a round chambered; but i can understand others feeling safe enough with a high quality firearm with multiple safety mechanisms.

this guy was probably carrying a hi-point or something.

This. I will never carry with one in the chamber no matter what gun. The chances of me needed my gun are slim and the chances of having an accident with a round in the chamber are slim. That being said, I'll prevent the accident even if it takes me another second or so if I ever need to draw to pull the slide back.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
read random posts from the people on ATOT that carry guns and you'll see why people are pro-gun control

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Modern 1911 clones all feature firing pin safeties. The chances of one discharging when dropped are slim. While I wouldn't carry one without a holster, it's really not any more unsafe.

Bullshit. All it takes is the safety to snick off, which is entirely possible with a 1911 or 1911 clone, and then you have a loaded gun with a very light trigger pull jostling around in your waistband just ready to go off accidentally.

Carrying a gun in this manner is always a bad idea and nobody who knows anything about firearms and firearm safety would ever advocate carrying a gun in this manner.

Edit-Carry means on your person, not in your hands. Jammed in the waistband of your pants is a method of carry, an unsafe method, but it is a method. In a holster is a much safer method of carry and the only one I would ever advocate. If you can afford a modern handgun then you can afford a decent quality holster for it.

Last edited: