Malaysian airlines has lost a 777

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
I think, instead of just looking for this plane, investigators need to start looking deeper into everyone that was on that plane, starting with the pilots.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Yes, all that stuff about the engines sending data and the plane flying for four more hours...DENIED.

We seem to be stuck in a cycle of claims and denials...

TangoJuliet

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2006
There was a rumor circulating that the manufacturer of the engines (Rolls Royce) had satellite based telemetry on the engines to assist with maintenance planning.

I have refrained from commenting here because I'm not sure if I am permitted by job. I won't get into specifics but what Mark R says here is correct.

I also don't know the specifics of a foreign country's ATC system but if its similar to the US then here is the problem. My guess is that the area in which the flight was traveling was non radar. There are no physical radar sites located in the ocean. The usual requirements are for the pilots to report the aircraft's position every hour.

It could be that the last position they have on the aircraft is the pilot report. Having the transponder on/off doesn't really matter in a non radar environment (for ATC) but it does provide the pilots with TCAS alerts so that is why they remain on. Going back a couple posts, pilots were required to turn off their transponders after they land - however, with upgraded ATC equipment they leave them on so ground controllers can positively identify them on ASDE-X. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2dg1750aXk

If the aircraft was not SATCOM equipped then there is no way to send messages. ACARS messages are sent over VORs and without one in the ocean it would be impossible. If the plane was flying in non radar airspace the only way they could be identified is when they got back into radar range or the pilots reported their position. Its possible they could have flown until they ran out of gas.

Turning off a transponder doesn't make an aircraft invisible to ATC*. It would still show up on radar as a target but it would not have any information related to it i.e.. call sign, speed. I have seen birds appear on my radar scope. If you "click" on the target it will give an altitude but nothing else.

Most people don't realize that the entire North Atlantic is non radar airspace. Until recently pilots had to verbally give their position reports to a radio operator. The RO would take down the coordinates and relay those to the ATC that was responsible for the flight. Now, a lot of planes are equipped with ADS (satellite) and those reports are transmitted by the plane's flight management computer.

Recently, there was a plane en-route from Johannesburg south africa to Atlanta, GA. It was ADS equipped and was transitioning from one ATC to another. The pilots have to "dial" in the next ATC address into their computer and accidentally logged onto the incorrect one (Alaska). The flight crew never checked on and flew for 4 hours in the non radar airspace. Long story short, it was only when it appeared on radar that ATC realized they were there....and head on with other aircraft. The flight crew were issued pilot deviations.

This post is really long and most people probably won't read it all so I'll wrap it up. The strange thing is that the route they were flying seems to be traveled pretty heavily. If the plane went down then the ELTs should be going off and they should be getting picked up. The waters in that region are not very deep so the crash site should be easy identified. My guess is that if they haven't been found by now they are probably looking in the wrong places.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Does anyone know where David Copperfield was?

He would be the first one I would look at.

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
I think, instead of just looking for this plane, investigators need to start looking deeper into everyone that was on that plane, starting with the pilots.

I'm sure they are looking at all possibilities. But they need to be more careful when releasing info about people lest it could lead to false accusations by the public similar to what happened in the Boston Bombing.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
would not be worth the talent for the attention

they have their own engineers

with a population of 1.3 billion do you think they have trouble finding enough professional engineers

not even sure if this would be worth it for major nuclear engineering

This and plus it is easier and cheaper to hack into secure U.S. systems (Just look at the Chinese J20 and see that the Chinese hacked docs on the F-35).

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
I'm sure the USAF or CIA has some sats. up in space that they can find that were watching over an area roughly around the time of take off.

I bet somebody out there knows where it went but there's likely a lot more to the situation than meets the eye.

Either way, the usual shitty reporting and misinformation is abundant.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm sure the USAF or CIA has some sats. up in space that they can find that were watching over an area roughly around the time of take off.

You've seen too many movies. Think about what kind of optics, storage, processing, and data links would be involved in having recorded imagery above even a small swath of the planet. We can barely do 4k on a TV at 60Hz in the consumer space.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
You've seen too many movies. Think about what kind of optics, storage, processing, and data links would be involved in having recorded imagery above even a small swath of the planet. We can barely do 4k on a TV at 60Hz in the consumer space.

Why would the optics be an issue? The hubble has great optics and has been in use for a long time. The other ones I think are more valid, but I'm talking about things up there the public doesn't know about.

And of course they probably can't/aren't watching every square inch of the world all at once, but it was just a thought. It could be a luck thing where a satellite we own happened to be over that general area around the time of take off.

The consumer world and military world are two dif things BTW. If you take the red tape out and fund a project with a nice budget... A lot of interesting things can be built.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
Why would the optics be an issue? The hubble has great optics and has been in use for a long time. The other ones I think are more valid, but I'm talking about things up there the public doesn't know about.

And of course they probably can't/aren't watching every square inch of the world all at once, but it was just a thought. It could be a luck thing where a satellite we own happened to be over that general area around the time of take off.

The consumer world and military world are two dif things BTW. If you take the red tape out and fund a project with a nice budget... A lot of interesting things can be built.

Anything with Hubble level optics has issues past anything the size of a medium sized bus. While it might see the plane, you wouldn't see it unless you had focused for it, and debris wouldn't be visible.

It's true though, the nighthawk had tech back in 1980s that consumers got in mid-2000s for a reasonable price.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I have refrained from commenting here because I'm not sure if I am permitted by job. I won't get into specifics but what Mark R says here is correct. - snip -
IQUOTE]

Thank you for that information. It was a lot of information but I do appeciatte hearing from someone that works in the industry that isn't just a bunch of hype. I do also agree the water isn't that deep so I imagine they are probably just looking in the wrong area.

Last edited:

88keys

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2012
Aviation Experts: we won't know anything until we find the black boxes.
News: According to officials; MH370 might have de pressurized and caught fire when disappeared from radar at which point two iranians with stolen passports might have hijacked the plane and possibly steered it way off course and then could have returned it back to its original course where it may have been struck by a meteor and probably crashed right where these fuzzy pixels are where a ufo could have captured it.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
I bet it landed at designated airport and the crew is unknowingly helping in the search party for themselves