Mafia 3 - Discussion

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Well the game unlocks in 10 hours for me.

However some people are already playing the game.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/360430/

Everyone is Ranting tho, quite possibly the worst launch 2K games has done with the 30fps lock.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
30fps?

it's current year for (deity's) sake.

catering to the console crowd to make it as fair as possible?

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
http://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/229038887--PC-Mafia-III-30-FPS

Hello, everyone.

We know how important having options that best suit your PC’s performance capabilities are. The team has been hard at work ensuring that Mafia III’s performance is consistent across all platforms, and right now the game runs at a solid 30 frames-per-second.

We are currently working on an update for PC that will give players the option to play Mafia III at higher framerates. We’ll share more details about the update, and when you can expect it to arrive, very soon.

In the meantime, the team welcomes feedback and would like to hear from you about what performance adjustment options are important to you. We’re actively considering a number of additional post-launch improvements on PC that would give players more control over how they can tailor the game’s experience to suit their rig’s performance.

It’s been an incredible journey developing Mafia III and we couldn’t be more excited to get the game in your hands and hear what you think!

Sigh... Why do i keep preordering when lately developers always end up doing stuff like this?

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012

looks like the internet is telling them what they think of it.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
30 fps would literally look like a slide show to me, how is this acceptable? This is why I stopped pre ordering games years ago, doesn't matter how great it looks ahead of time have the patience and wait it out.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
locked at 30? are you kidding? this is not a joke?

will never buy. if i wanted to play locked at 30 id buy a xbox

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Seriously this is unacceptable. I will concede that destiny at 30fps is playable. However after seeing 60fps and switching to 30fps games are unplayable.

I think destiny has heavy motion blur which hides it well. That's something I don't use on PC. Motion blur is good for consoles not for PC.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
rofl steam decided to hide the overall reviews from the massively negative before launch.
mafia3.jpg

Honestly i think the dev's need to wake up and realize they just cant do stuff like this to PC ports without negative backlashes.
And i also hope it teaches other studios not to attempt this kind of stuff.

It seems like 2K studio's have learned from Ubisoft on how to do a bad launch to boost pre orders.

UPDATE [10/6 / 6PM PT]: We currently have a patch running here at the studio that includes 30, 60, and unlimited frames-per-second options in the video menu, among other improvements for the PC version of Mafia III. We’re verifying the patch now to ensure everything is working as expected. If everything goes well, we expect the update to go live this weekend. We will be keeping the PC community up-to-date on the status of the patch throughout the weekend and thank you for all the feedback!

Wow just wow.... its not a day 0 patch, but a weekend patch....
So yeah they just royally pulled an ubisoft on us.

definitely not a good year for 2K...
First battleborn.. or should i say FailedHardcoreBorn..... and now Mafia3.

Last edited:

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Take a deep breath, folks. The sun will still come up tomorrow.

I didn't know they were even making a Mafia 3 until 20 minutes ago but the trailer I just watched looked incredible. I'll hold out until they patch the 30fps and/or clear up any other PC port issues, but damn I'm excited about the potential of a GTA clone set in late 60's New Orleans with these kind of production values. No way they'll touch Rockstar levels, but that does appear to be what they're aiming at and if they can come close then more power to them.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
hmm... 21:9 GTX 1080 + i7-6700k.

I can't play this game at all... The menu doesn't work for me...

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
My trusted impression sources are saying positive things about the game. I'll give it time till they patch it to non peasant refresh rates, maybe it will be discounted by then as well. Supposedly they already already have a patched 60fps/unlimited fps version running in house, testing it further.

I will say that the no review ahead of launch day policy is shady. Please don't bring up Doom, it's an exception, most games suppressing reviews tend to suck.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
It's not just the 30fps that's putting me off this game, it's everything. Mafia was all about keeping things on the downlow, keeping your speed under 40 in the city when cops are around, maintain road discipline, not running over a red light etc. We don't need another GTA when there are already so many GTAs. Thank God at least the vintage/noir music is still present.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
It really is amazing that they didn't see this coming, there are no excuses here, they blew it big time.

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
It's not just the 30fps that's putting me off this game, it's everything. Mafia was all about keeping things on the downlow, keeping your speed under 40 in the city when cops are around, maintain road discipline, not running over a red light etc. We don't need another GTA when there are already so many GTAs. Thank God at least the vintage/noir music is still present.

That's how it still is....

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
2K admits to knowing about the broken menus on 21:9 mode. that the menu is still really in 16:9... much to be patched...

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
I bought it an hour after the patch. Saw quite a few glitches and bugs, some hilarious, none game-breaking so far.
Performance could be better but IQ is actually good after killing chromatic aberration and sharpening via sweetfx.
Game gets lots of criticism, deservedly so but IMO foliage looks good, view distance and amount of detail in distance is actually decent:
Full 4K SS is below this one:

mafia32016-10-0904-45h7p1y.jpg

https://abload.de/img/mafia32016-10-0904-454pq9r.jpg

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
No disrespect intended, but that screenshot looks horrendous. It looks like something from previous gen games, the lighting is non existent and everything looks brown, distorted, flat, and nasty.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
So how is the game, people? Is it worth buying? Or should I wait till all the bugs are ironed out?