Madden Curse?

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
He had a better completion percentage, more yards, better yards per game average and passer rating. His TD's were down and INT's up, but he also lead his team to the playoffs for the first time since 2003 with a group of WR's had about as much talent as a pop warner football team.

That said, I think it's always been BS because Marshall Faulk had over 1,600 total yards in 2003. They said it was a sharp "decline" from the 2,000 the previous year. Some people don't realize you can't run for 2,000 yards every year. lol

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I thought he had a pretty terrible year, and overall seemed to regress, regardless of his QB rating going up. His TD %/INT % were deplorable. His rating still sucked, even if higher than last year, and his running numbers were WAAAAY down.

He didn' have a catastrophic injury, but he had multiple smaller ones. I say the curse still stands.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko
I thought he had a pretty terrible year, and overall seemed to regress, regardless of his QB rating going up. His TD %/INT % were deplorable. His rating still sucked, even if higher than last year, and his running numbers were WAAAAY down.

He didn' have a catastrophic injury, but he had multiple smaller ones. I say the curse still stands.

You're the guy that said the Titans would be 6-10. We won't even get into some of your other ones.

There is no curse, it's all BS. He did not have a bunch of small injuries. He had the same injury and STILL lead his team to the playoffs for the first time in 4 years. He had career highs in several categories.

His running numbers were down because there was more focus on him passing the ball. His passing yards went up more than his rushing yards went down. I'm not sure how that can be a negative when his team won more games and went to the playoffs.

I'll be the first to admit he is not a good QB and I wish the Titans had picked Cutler, but his season was not doomed and he avoided major injury.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
lol, yes, because I didn't think their running game would be that good. Vince Young actually did about on par, if not worse, than I expected.

"career highs"? Its his second year! He only started 13 games last year! It hasn't hard to have a "career high", especially considering how awful he was last year. His completion % and YPA went up, but they still were sub-par (62% and 6.7). His YPG was a meager 167, he only had 9 TDs (2.4%), 17 INTs (4.5%). His rushing numbers went WAY down. He had MORE attempts (kinda discredits your rebuttal huh), but had less yards, his YPC dropped from 6.7 to 4.2, and he went from 7 TDs to 3 TDs. His rating went from a horrendous 66.3 to a bad 71.1.

I mean, how do you want to look at the Madden curse? It doesn't have to be a season ending injury, or a huge drop in stats - come on, his stats couldn't go down! He was put on the cover cuz he was the media darling and supposed to be a huge star in his second year. Instead, he regressed in most categories, and was a one-and-done 6 seed, thanks to a stingy defense and strong running game.

Vince Young isn't the worst QB, but he's hardly worth the #3 overall pick or the hype he gets from the media.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Steve Young was also a fantastic passer - when I think "running QB" I think "QB that runs well but doesn't pass well"....ala Vince Young or Michael Vick.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You're the guy that said the Titans would be 6-10. We won't even get into some of your other ones.

6 of those 10 wins were by a TD or less. It could easily of been a very bad season.
[EDIT] And of those wins, only 2 were against playoff teams, one of which was resting their starters for most of the game(Indy in the last game of the year).

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Steve Young was also a fantastic passer - when I think "running QB" I think "QB that runs well but doesn't pass well"....ala Vince Young or Michael Vick.

I'm hoping Jay Cutler shapes up to be a really good QB. He runs some, not as much though, but he can when it's needed.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
lol, yes, because I didn't think their running game would be that good. Vince Young actually did about on par, if not worse, than I expected.

"career highs"? Its his second year! It hasn't hard to have a "career high", especially considering how awful he was last year. His completion % and YPA went up, but they still were sub-par (62% and 6.7). His YPG was a meager 167, he only had 9 TDs (2.4%), 17 INTs (4.5%). His rushing numbers went WAY down. He had MORE attempts (kinda discredits your rebuttal huh), but had less yards, his YPC dropped from 6.7 to 4.2, and he went from 7 TDs to 3 TDs. His rating went from a horrendous 66.3 to a bad 71.1.

I mean, how do you want to look at the Madden curse? It doesn't have to be a season ending injury, or a huge drop in stats - come on, his stats couldn't go down! He was put on the cover cuz he was the media darling and supposed to be a huge star in his second year. Instead, he regressed in most categories, and was a one-and-done 6 seed, thanks to a stingy defense and strong running game.

Vince Young isn't the worst QB, but he's hardly worth the #3 overall pick or the hype he gets from the media.

"It doesn't have to be a season ending injury, or a huge drop in stats "

Odd, I thought that was EXACTLY what the Madden Curse was:

Shaun Alexander (2007) - Fractured the 4th metatarsal in his foot He missed six starts and failed to rush for 1,000 yards for the first time since 2000. (Injury)

Donovan McNabb (2006) - Sports hernia and had Season-ending surgery. (Injury)

Ray Lewis (2005) - It was Lewis' first season without a single interception, after posting a career-high 6 the previous year, although interceptions are a secondary statistic for linebackers. Team failed to make the playoffs. (Huge performance drop)

Michael Vick (2004) - He was injured during a preseason game against the Baltimore Ravens, suffering a fractured right fibula.

Marshall Faulk (2003) - Only one that I would never consider a "curse". He had over 1600 yards. It was "down" from 2,000 the previous year. SIXTEEN HUNDRED yards. More than LT had this year. He wasn't "cursed". lol

Daunte Culpepper (2002) - Back Surgery ended season.

So I'd consider missing one game and keeping your stats at or above the same level is not a curse. Also leading his team to the playoffs.

You seem to forget that he was playing with the absolute worst WR corp in the league. How exactly is he responsible for YPC? As stated, he had more attempts passing (which duh, would make his rushing go down) because they're trying to work on his air game. This was stated from training camp on. Rating went up which proves his overall improvement. He did not have a great season, but it was not a CURSED season. That's the point I'm trying to make.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
I don't get the hype behind a running QB. Any of them ever win a Super Bowl?

John Elway
Steve Young
Steve McNair
Donovan McNabb
Fran Tarkenton
Doug Williams

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
See, it's skewed, because he had an awful year last year too. That's what I'm saying. Unless he was knocked out for the season in week 3, how could he POSSIBLY have had a lower statistical season? This was as close as you could really get to a "poor performance madden curse season".

I don't forget how bad his receivers were, in fact I point out that his receivers were bad in the preseason. It doesn't excuse how poorly he played. He was TERRIBLE! If they had had a mediocore QB even, they could have been 12-4. He had more attempts, and less yards rushing! How is that not getting worse? What do you mean how is he responsible for YPC? It's the number of yards he gains each rush...and it went SIGNIFIGANTLY down, along with his rushing TDs.

If it weren't for his draft status/the media/people like you hyping him up and making excuses, I wouldn't have any problem with him. He'd just be another not very good QB that's better than anything else Tennessee has.

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: LikeLinus

John Elway
Steve Young
Steve McNair
Donovan McNabb
Fran Tarkenton
Doug Williams

when did mcnair and mcnabb win a superbowl

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit

6 of those 10 wins were by a TD or less. It could easily of been a very bad season.
[EDIT] And of those wins, only 2 were against playoff teams, one of which was resting their starters for most of the game(Indy in the last game of the year).

Titans lost by 2 points (after leading most of the game) to Indy earlier in the season.

"would" and "could" don't really count. The record was 10-6. That's the reality of the situation. They owe most of those wins to the D.

You could also say that two of those losses were 3 points or less against two playoff teams. So they really could have been 12-4.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: kalster

John Elway
Steve Young
Steve McNair
Donovan McNabb
Fran Tarkenton
Doug Williams

when did mcnair and mcnabb win a superbowl

Played in the super bowl..sorry. Not all of them won.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
deeko is just a blind vince hater. he doesn't pay attention to the titans getting rid of his top receivers from last year and giving him no help at all. he doesn't consider that his receiving corps is top 5 in dropped passes this season. etc etc etc.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
See, it's skewed, because he had an awful year last year too. That's what I'm saying. Unless he was knocked out for the season in week 3, how could he POSSIBLY have had a lower statistical season? This was as close as you could really get to a "poor performance madden curse season".

I don't forget how bad his receivers were, in fact I point out that his receivers were bad in the preseason. It doesn't excuse how poorly he played. He was TERRIBLE! If they had had a mediocore QB even, they could have been 12-4. He had more attempts, and less yards rushing! How is that not getting worse? What do you mean how is he responsible for YPC? It's the number of yards he gains each rush...and it went SIGNIFIGANTLY down, along with his rushing TDs.

If it weren't for his draft status/the media/people like you hyping him up and making excuses, I wouldn't have any problem with him. He'd just be another not very good QB that's better than anything else Tennessee has.

Honestly, I'm a Titans fan and I just don't like him. Freaking Bud Adams made Fisher draft Vince Young because of his love/obsession with TX. It was the worst pick. Jay should have stayed here in TN.

But, I don't think it's a Madden Curse because it didn't cause something out of the ordinary or hurt him. :) We'll just agree to disagree I guess.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

John Elway
Steve Young
Steve McNair
Donovan McNabb
Fran Tarkenton
Doug Williams

edit: nevermind you corrected yourself while I was posting

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: OdiN

I'm hoping Jay Cutler shapes up to be a really good QB. He runs some, not as much though, but he can when it's needed.

Jay Cutler is shaping up to be a great QB. Have to see how Leinart can do when he's not hurt, but he looks to be the best QB out of that draft class by far. I play the Broncos all the time in Madden, he's got a rocket arm and can move.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: sash1
Originally posted by: OdiN

Jay Cutler is shaping up to be a great QB. Have to see how Leinart can do when he's not hurt, but he looks to be the best QB out of that draft class by far. I play the Broncos all the time in Madden, he's got a rocket arm and can move.

Good to see your football insights come from a good reliable source.

And to the OP, how do you consider a year in which you throw for 9 TDs and 17 INTs anything but pathetic? He had the second highest INT % in the league, and fumbled the ball 10 times. Kyle Boller, Eli Manning and Brian Griese all had higher QB ratings than he did.

He had a terrible year when people were expecting him to improve, and there's no denying that he regressed. It was the Titan's defense that got them into the playoffs, and it was all in spite of Vince, not because of him.

Call it the Madden Curse or whatever you want it to, but Vince did not play anywhere close to expectations this year, and to argue otherwise would be foolish.

PS Marshall Faulk had an ankle injury that kept him out 5 games after his break through year.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

John Elway
Steve Young
Steve McNair
Donovan McNabb
Fran Tarkenton
Doug Williams

I don't think John Elway was ever considered a running QB and neither NcNabb or McNair ever won a Super Bowl. The odds aren't in favor of a running QB in any case...not with the risk of injury.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
lol, yes, because I didn't think their running game would be that good.

The defense is why the Titans won 10 games. Not the running game.

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
norm chow should really let vince play "vince style". despite the fact that its just his 2nd season, and that his receivers suck, if hes forced to be a traditional qb, he'll be an okay (but not great) qb. they should let him loose and do what it takes

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
lol, yes, because I didn't think their running game would be that good.

The defense is why the Titans won 10 games. Not the running game.

I expected them to have a good defense though - but that ALONE doesn't get you to the playoffs (2000 ravens had a good backfield, for example). I expected their running game to be terrible, and it turned out to be pretty good, which was the difference between 6-10 and 10-6