Madden Curse?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
look, say it anyway you want to, but Vince Young is one of the 5 worst starting QBs there are right now. He is clearly not even the best QB on his own team. Yes, he was great in COLLEGE, but his game does not translate to the pro level at all. Now SOME of his crappy numbers are due to their poor receivers, but if you ever watched any of his games it is clear just how inaccurate he is, his recievers may drop 2 passes a game, but his poor accuracy and inability to read defenses is good for at least 10 incompletion's and an interception each game. Any QB who has nearly twice as many INTs as TDs is terrible, even if he had twice as many TDs he would still be below average.

TechHead87

Sep 18, 2004
Originally posted by: BrownTown
look, say it anyway you want to, but Vince Young is one of the 5 worst starting QBs there are right now. He is clearly not even the best QB on his own team. Yes, he was great in COLLEGE, but his game does not translate to the pro level at all. Now SOME of his crappy numbers are due to their poor receivers, but if you ever watched any of his games it is clear just how inaccurate he is, his recievers may drop 2 passes a game, but his poor accuracy and inability to read defenses is good for at least 10 incompletion's and an interception each game. Any QB who has nearly twice as many INTs as TDs is terrible, even if he had twice as many TDs he would still be below average.

Most of his "inaccurate" passes are when he's being pressured, or when his receivers dont finish their routes (or just run "out-of-route" anyway).

He's got practically NO receivers (especially in Sundays playoff game), an inconsistant O-line, a sore quadricep, and his offensive coordinator is not mean for NFL use. Give Vince a break. Tom Brady would even suffer under those conditions. Anybody who thinks otherwise is disliking Vince just for the sake of disliking Vince.

A lot of you all forget that he just finished his 2nd NFL season, after leaving Texas a year early.

Bottom line: Put some other good players around Vince, and that team will win games because he's a fairly decent quarterback with a very high potential to be great.

Finalnight

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2003
Curse is still there, LT actually declined to appear on the cover THEN vince young accepted.

Look who advanced.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Even with the other problems on offense it is still pretty clear his carrer is going nowhere. At the risk of going somewhere I probably shouldn't I am forced to make that observation that in real life of all the people I know who support Vince Young every single one of them is black. Just throwing that out there, read into it what you will.

TechHead87

Sep 18, 2004
Even with the other problems on offense it is still pretty clear his carrer is going nowhere. At the risk of going somewhere I probably shouldn't I am forced to make that observation that in real life of all the people I know who support Vince Young every single one of them is black. Just throwing that out there, read into it what you will.

Read: "Racist asshat with no other re-course"

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
I don't get the hype behind a running QB. Any of them ever win a Super Bowl?

John Elway
Steve Young
Steve McNair
Donovan McNabb
Fran Tarkenton
Doug Williams

McNair, McNabb, and Tarkenton never won Super Bowls dude.

WisMan

Nov 24, 2004
Originally posted by: TechHead87

Most of his "inaccurate" passes are when he's being pressured, or when his receivers dont finish their routes (or just run "out-of-route" anyway).

He's got practically NO receivers (especially in Sundays playoff game), an inconsistant O-line, a sore quadricep, and his offensive coordinator is not mean for NFL use. Give Vince a break. Tom Brady would even suffer under those conditions. Anybody who thinks otherwise is disliking Vince just for the sake of disliking Vince.

A lot of you all forget that he just finished his 2nd NFL season, after leaving Texas a year early.

Bottom line: Put some other good players around Vince, and that team will win games because he's a fairly decent quarterback with a very high potential to be great.

I dunno, I've watched a view games this year where Vince Young has looked absolutely horrendous, and i wouldn't fully blame it on the receivers or the protection. I don't know how many times I've watched him throw the ball a foot in front of the receivers feet on a 5 yard down and out pattern with absolutely no pressure. It's ridiculous.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Deeko
See, it's skewed, because he had an awful year last year too. That's what I'm saying. Unless he was knocked out for the season in week 3, how could he POSSIBLY have had a lower statistical season? This was as close as you could really get to a "poor performance madden curse season".

I don't forget how bad his receivers were, in fact I point out that his receivers were bad in the preseason. It doesn't excuse how poorly he played. He was TERRIBLE! If they had had a mediocore QB even, they could have been 12-4. He had more attempts, and less yards rushing! How is that not getting worse? What do you mean how is he responsible for YPC? It's the number of yards he gains each rush...and it went SIGNIFIGANTLY down, along with his rushing TDs.

So if someone is statistically low, improving the next year is just a matter of random chance. Yet if someone is statistically high, any drop in performance must be attributable to some sort of spooky supernatural "curse"?

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003

I've got your back... and I'm white! (shocked!) This guy is 24 years old and on a playoff team. His rookie year they were one game from the playoffs. Trust me, as scared as I get every time he drops back to pass I still think there is some hope here.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: jagec
So if someone is statistically low, improving the next year is just a matter of random chance. Yet if someone is statistically high, any drop in performance must be attributable to some sort of spooky supernatural "curse"?

They aren't supposed to GET the Madden cover after a terrible season, that's the problem. Half of the possible Madden Curse (poor statistical season) was eliminated from the start, because he didn't really have stats that could get worse!

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: kalster
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
I don't get the hype behind a running QB. Any of them ever win a Super Bowl?

John Elway
Steve Young
Steve McNair
Donovan McNabb
Fran Tarkenton
Doug Williams

when did mcnair and mcnabb win a superbowl

and I didn't really think McNair was a running quarterback. I thought his strategy was to just drop the ball in a pinch.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Doug Williams definitely wasn't later in his career, when he played for Washington. Oh well.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
I pretty much agree with Deeko's assessment, the 'curse' is broken because they put a crappy player on the cover and he had a less crappy year? I don't think so. The guys who have been on the cover before were top players in the NFL, coming off fantastic seasons and, without fail, those top players have faltered the next year.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
He had a better completion percentage, more yards, better yards per game average and passer rating. His TD's were down and INT's up, but he also lead his team to the playoffs for the first time since 2003 with a group of WR's had about as much talent as a pop warner football team.

That said, I think it's always been BS because Marshall Faulk had over 1,600 total yards in 2003. They said it was a sharp "decline" from the 2,000 the previous year. Some people don't realize you can't run for 2,000 yards every year. lol

LT had an absolute crap year and still led the league.

VY just needs to work on his accuracy and he will be alright

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
He had a better completion percentage, more yards, better yards per game average and passer rating. His TD's were down and INT's up, but he also lead his team to the playoffs for the first time since 2003 with a group of WR's had about as much talent as a pop warner football team.

That said, I think it's always been BS because Marshall Faulk had over 1,600 total yards in 2003. They said it was a sharp "decline" from the 2,000 the previous year. Some people don't realize you can't run for 2,000 yards every year. lol

It's funny to joke about it being a curse, but if you truly believe in curses you're just an idiot in general.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare

what?!?!

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Kev
Originally posted by: Nitemare

what?!?!

I think he means he was far away from him potential.

TechHead87

Sep 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269

I've got your back... and I'm white! (shocked!) This guy is 24 years old and on a playoff team. His rookie year they were one game from the playoffs. Trust me, as scared as I get every time he drops back to pass I still think there is some hope here.

Yeah, sometimes I get scared when he throws while scrambling away from a hefty blitz. He's just gotta learn how to throw the ball away when he gets into trouble.

I think he's gotten a lot better at pre-snap reads, but sometimes what you THINK you see before the play starts turns into something else (fake DB blitz's, DL stunts, etc.)

Games like the Monday night Bronco's game is where he shows how high potential. He threw for over 300, BUT, 3 long passes were dropped passes that certainly would've been caught by better receivers, and he threw 2 INTs. He could've easily had a 400 yard passing game that night.

Like I said, he's still a young QB, and that SD game was good experience for he and the rest of the Titans.