MA considering raising the gas tax 27 cents/gallon

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Come on Bitter Bob, you can't tel me you aren't miserable SOB when all you do is whine like a little bitch in every thread you post in and then chastise others for complaining about having to pay gas taxes, especially after we just got done getting bent over by the oil companies.

Sorry, what did you say? I couldn't hear you over my knob slobbing and trolling.
:shocked:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: MovingTarget
3/4 roads to get to an airport? Damn. Talk about overuse of toll roads. I'd say that is excessive. However, my position still stands. The government should not be allowed to track you even by proxy in your vehicle unless they have a warrant. Having an rfid unit to signal to a passing booth to charge your account is not especially Orwellian, but when 3/4 of your major roads require them, it is a step in the wrong direction. Besides, what I read from the article is that those in Massachusetts will not have a choice on whether or not to have these units. If you were given a choice in that state of opting-in, then I would have no problem. Damn I'm glad I don't live/drive in that state.
I agree with this. And saying a person can avoid the tolls in most cases is not practical, as toll roads get the best land and are the best kept up. Although it is technically an option to avoid them in most cases, the extra time required is so burdensome that it adds a ton of effort and forcing somebody to make that choice of being tolled and tracked vs not is rather forcing their hand.

I went in the middle of a huge snow storm from Rochester to Ottawa last year. The toll road had so many plows it was unreal, like a convoy of them, littered all over the highway and the roads were fine. Literally the minute we got off that road onto a non toll road that goes from Syracuse to Canada I do not believe we saw a plow once. The road was treacherous in the extreme and simply ridiculous--and yet still lots of cars were there. The state simply didn't care that much about it.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: Sawyer
http://news.bostonherald.com/n...e/srvc=home&position=1

I suppose the chip is to make sure drivers are not crossing state lines to get it much cheaper, what a damn joke. And the with the outrageous toll prices and putting tolls on the border, damn when will it end?

The gas tax is a substitution to raising tolls and adding additional tolls.
Which is bullshit, why should those who don't use them have to pay more for gas tax?

Well, the majority of toll payers now don't use the Big Dig either. Should tolls be put up on either end of the Big Dig on 93? That would be fairer but the traffic congestion created would defeat the main reason for the project.

I haven't done the research to figure out how they came up with 27 cents. Not sure why it's so friggin high.

could do some kind of electronic open road tolling.... that would speed things up.