Lumia 920

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It's lot more hassle to get that $449.99 price. You have to sign up for AT&T voice plan and service. And AT&T will hard pull your credit score. Then once you get your shipping and wireless number information, you have to call AT&T and cancel your voice and data service so you don't get hit with $35 activation fee and first month service fee. It's nothing complicated but it's annoying and unnecessary. You would think AT&T would just sell you the phone without making you jump through hoops.

And what I'm reading is that it's a bit of the PITA to get Windows Phones up and running on ST. You can get most of the functions working, except MMS on Nokia phones is a challenge. You need to access to a Nokia App called "Network Setup" that lets you adjust more settings that aren't part of the APN options. It was published to the App store at one time, and then pulled. Then published again. And I can't find again...although that could be something that you need a Nokia phone to be able to see.

Just know that there's a few extra hurdles than just popping in an AT&T sim from ST and then adding in the att.mvno setting in the APN setup.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
drats. even called in to see if they would mind overriding it and let me upgrade but no go. Sounds like they are firm on the 18-month deal now. Bummer.

-Luke

Calling and physically visiting are two different things. People, especially customer support, are much more compliant in person than over the phone. I'd go to a store and try doing so in person. And if it doesn't work at that store, try a different one, or at different times (for different employees). All it takes is finding that one person that's cool with it, and they're not that rare. :)

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
Calling and physically visiting are two different things. People, especially customer support, are much more compliant in person than over the phone. I'd go to a store and try doing so in person. And if it doesn't work at that store, try a different one, or at different times (for different employees). All it takes is finding that one person that's cool with it, and they're not that rare. :)

Thanks for the tip! When the phone is available in store on display to play with I'll stop by the local shops for a demo and see what happens!

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
I'm switching from Verizon so I just got one of these. I'll be using it alongside a Nexus 4 (when it's out) so I'll be in phone gadget overload for a few... days.

Last edited:

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
People on xda devs are posting that the Rogers Canadian 920 comes unlocked. It works with att 3G and lte. It also supports aws for tmobile 3G.

Maybe the us version is pentaband too?

Last edited:

Silenus

Mar 11, 2008
People on xda devs are posting that the Rogers Canadian 920 comes unlocked. It works with at 3G and lte. It also supports aws for tmobile 3G.

Maybe the us version is pentaband too?

No way?! Man if I could get an unlocked 920 that works on Tmobile I would be SO tempted to try it out. I am a Google/Android person all the way....but I'm also a photographer. What Nokia is doing with camera tech could easily push me over the edge to try Windows Phone (which actually doesn't look bad at all to be honest). Nokia is putting everyone else to shame on the camera front.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
I really wish this phone were coming to Verizon already.. :( I have to settle for middling specs in the 822 and then... HTC. The Odyssey might be a great phone, but Samsung REALLY disappoints me in the design/build department. I'm glad to see HTC and Nokia changing up the tempo on the design front with these Windows Phones.

Doublejr

Jul 25, 2004
Got my 920 in the mail at about noon today.

It is heavy, coming from the OG Focus, about 2 ounces heavier. Not too heavy but you will know it is in your pocket.

It seems a lot snappier than my focus, resuming/loading apps is about half the time or less than on the focus.

The screen is nice. I don't think it is a bright as the focus which had a super amoled display, I think the 920 has an IPS something or other. The screen is very sensitive and you can toggle the high sensitivity setting (Supposedly you can use it with gloves on, haven't tried it).

The camera is nice, in a dark room with no flash the pictures still look better than ones taken with my focus and the flash. I bought it to try my hand at developing some lenses for the camera app.

Can't speak on battery yet, it has been charging and downloading maps for the past couple hours.

Overall I am liking it so far, time will tell.

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
I just called a corporate att store and they said that I can buy the phone outright without any contract for $450 but no charging pad though. I'm going to bite! :D Nokia offers the charge plate through their website so I'll get it from there.

Last edited:

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
Is the faster refresh on the screen noticeable? I was wondering how that turned out since they talked it up some.

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
I just called a corporate att store and they said that I can buy the phone outright without any contract for $450 but no charging pad though. I'm going to bite! :D Nokia offers the charge plate through their website so I'll get it from there.

who was offering up the free charging plate?

slicksilver

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2000

Is the phone unlocked?

Oct 19, 2000
Picked up a black 920 from my local AT&T store earlier today. Loving it so far, I've already ran the battery all the way down just from playing around with it and am charging it back up now.

I wouldn't call it a brick like some, but it's pretty stout. I don't mind it one bit. The only time I notice its weight is if I'm purposefully feeling for it.

The store didn't have any of the wireless chargers but I was told I'd get a call when they came in and would be first in line to get them. Most likely middle of next week.

I'll write up my thoughts on the phone tomorrow.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I messed around with one in the store today. The weight thing was waaaay overhyped. It's solid but not really any heavier feeling than my iPhone 4 and case. It's a very nicely built phone and felt good in my hand. Like the physical camera button and the screen was excellent. A lot of navigation felt much more natural than iOS. Like the physical back button and where it is placed.

Also played around with a Galaxy Note II and WP8 just felt like a more user friendly device and more enjoyable in basic phone functions.

Tough call for me. There's A LOT I like about WP8 and I'm already invested in the Skydrive ecosystem. I also like the price and Nokia based apps.

But there's a lot of added function and productivity that I really like about the Note. Uhg.

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
I messed around with one in the store today. The weight thing was waaaay overhyped. It's solid but not really any heavier feeling than my iPhone 4 and case. It's a very nicely built phone and felt good in my hand. Like the physical camera button and the screen was excellent. A lot of navigation felt much more natural than iOS. Like the physical back button and where it is placed.

Also played around with a Galaxy Note II and WP8 just felt like a more user friendly device and more enjoyable in basic phone functions.

Tough call for me. There's A LOT I like about WP8 and I'm already invested in the Skydrive ecosystem. I also like the price and Nokia based apps.

But there's a lot of added function and productivity that I really like about the Note. Uhg.

Same... was at a store to buy but all the reps were busy helping customers. I played with a black and white lumia 920... felt great in the hand. wp8 is freakin' SMooooth compared to android (currently have one x w/ ICS). What a difference... everything was really easy to use etc. I also played with the note 2 and that thing is beast... I do like android smart phones and the note 2 takes cake for being fast, powerful, big, etc... just was fun overall playing with it. Lumia 920 = 450 Note 2 = 650. That's a substantial amount. I will still go with the Lumia 920 though, although this time I'm waiting for Cyan.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
My review:
Hardware 8/10
Display = 10/10
Sound = 9/10
Camera = 11/10 ��
No micro sd slot 0/10
4g LTE = 9/10
WiFi, Bluetooth = 10/10
NFC = no clue, what is it for???
Size/weight = 7/10 too heavy for kids

Software 9/10
Windows = 8/10
Office = 10/10!!
App store = 8/10
Nokia apps = 10/10

Overall 9/10

Weight isn't horrible but will be too much for many. Unbelievable camera will replace my DSLR 90% of the time.