Lumia 920

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
$599 if you buy it from Best Buy (which always overcharges unsubsidized phones), but only $499 if you get it direct from AT&T (and I would assume similar pricing for Amazon). Plus, you should be getting a free wireless charger, a $99 value.

I just bought a Straight Talk sim with the intent on getting a Nexus 4 but this... hmm. I'm really tempted to try out WP8 instead. This seems like a really good price.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
do you guys consider lumia to be a chick phone? could you maintain your heterosexual image if you got say, the blue or the orange 920?

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
do you guys consider lumia to be a chick phone? could you maintain your heterosexual image if you got say, the blue or the orange 920?

What an odd question. If someone has to worry about whether the color of a phone makes them look feminine, I'd say they have bigger issues or maybe they're just hiding something.

Life is too short to care about such things IMO.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
What an odd question. If someone has to worry about whether the color of a phone makes them look feminine, I'd say they have bigger issues or maybe they're just hiding something.

Life is too short to care about such things IMO.

i wasnt asking for myself....

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
It's funny how defensive people are about Nokia over at WP Central. If you say one negative thing about the phone the Nokia Defense Squad comes rushing in claiming you must be a biased HTC fanboy.

With as little market share that Windows Phone has you'd think that you'd try and rally together and forget the differences and be happy that anyone is buying into the platform.
Some of it is the European Nokia fanfoys as I think wpcentral is based in the UK. The rest is more that Nokia was supposed to be practically a 1st party WP device maker. It still is but they've continued to do some really stupid stuff like AT&T exclusivity. Personally, I want the HTC 8x but my contract doesn't renew until April with Verizon. At least HTC is putting their excellent flagship phone on the major carriers.

Oct 19, 2000

I've never seen an orange 920 and there's not a blue 920, rather a cyan.

For $99 and a free charging plate, I'm first in line. I considered getting the red 920 but I'm afraid I'll start to hate it after a couple of months, so I'm going to play it safe and just get black. I'm sticking with AT&T and not even considering ever switching to Verizon (AT&T coverage is better in the mountains of KY), so I don't mind re-upping for a couple more years.

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008
It's funny how defensive people are about Nokia over at WP Central. If you say one negative thing about the phone the Nokia Defense Squad comes rushing in claiming you must be a biased HTC fanboy.

With as little market share that Windows Phone has you'd think that you'd try and rally together and forget the differences and be happy that anyone is buying into the platform.

It's like that on any tech site. Mention Android or iOS or even a Samsung or HTC WP model, and a swath of Nokia fanboys come in.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Fanboys are fanboys, regardless of their chosen archetype.

$99 is an amazing deal. I think this just climbed the ranks in terms of recommendations for smartphone purchasing this year. Been with AT&T for 9 years now, no complaints here.

i wasnt asking for myself....

Lol?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Ok, I was almost entirely ready to give up on it and just pony up for a Note 2, but at $449 + wireless charger + straight talk = not bad.

Somebody is eating some serious money in this. Not sure if it's AT&T or Nokia. That's a competitive price.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
This is at&t doubt they are eating to much. My guess it is Nokia with money microsoft is giving them. So in the end I am sure it is 80% MS money via Nokia and 20% AT&T. The pricing has me sold on the phone now. Was leaning Nexus 4 for my self but 100 dollars more is well worth it in this case.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I thought about MS throwing money at them too. Just having troubles understanding the MS & Nokia relationship. Nokia was originally the chosen child. Then come this fall and Balmer starts talking up HTC as the "Hero" device and barely giving Nokia a blip of attention during the product launches.

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
I wonder if MS is publically distancing themselves from Nokia to not piss off other OEMs. Especially now that samsung has the android market wrapped up. Lot of android OEMs that might look at WP8 as a fresh start. This is an opportunity for MS to get other phones other than android re-treads like we saw last time(WP7) around or the Samsung Ativ. If MS was all about nokia it might scare them off. That and the 920 I don't think is a main stream device because of the bulkiness. So why not push the HTC device that has more main stream appeal and maybe get another long term partner.

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
Agh stupid AT&T contract. I'm not elidgable for a full upgrade discount until may. In the past I've always been givin full upgrade elidgability after 12 months for the past like 5 years. :-( at 99 I would scoop this up this month but at 449 I'll have to wait.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Agh stupid AT&T contract. I'm not elidgable for a full upgrade discount until may. In the past I've always been givin full upgrade elidgability after 12 months for the past like 5 years. :-( at 99 I would scoop this up this month but at 449 I'll have to wait.

Depending on your current contract, you might want to just start saving up until May. Get a new unlocked phone at the same time that you drop AT&T and switch to something like straight-talk.

How much data do you use each month?

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
Depending on your current contract, you might want to just start saving up until May. Get a new unlocked phone at the same time that you drop AT&T and switch to something like straight-talk.

How much data do you use each month?

noob question: what's straight-talk?
I use my phone for work so I average between 1.5-2GB a month. highest peak I think was 2.5GB.

-Luke

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
noob question: what's straight-talk?
I use my phone for work so I average between 1.5-2GB a month. highest peak I think was 2.5GB.

-Luke

Straight Talk is bring your own device, pre-paid service. $45/mo for unlimited talk/text/data (in reality closer to 2GB/mo) and it uses AT&T's towers.

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
Ah hrm. thanks for the info. Something to consider. my gf and I are on a 'family' plan with ATT so we'd both jump ship if we did. Although, she just got a new phone, picked up the ip4 for $0.01 deal. so we probably locked in a 2year for her. not sure how they do it with the family plans.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
Ah hrm. thanks for the info. Something to consider. my gf and I are on a 'family' plan with ATT so we'd both jump ship if we did. Although, she just got a new phone, picked up the ip4 for $0.01 deal. so we probably locked in a 2year for her. not sure how they do it with the family plans.
Yes, you did. However, if it's under 14 days, you can return it and that voids the 2 year contract till you upgrade again.

Last edited:

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
Thanks for the heads up! this was a month or two back so we're passed the 2 week return. Oh well.
Anyone have any luck haggling with ATT to get full upgrade eligibility 5 months early? Speaking of which, anyone know why they changed upgrade policies? Like I said in the past it's always been every 12 months.

-Luke

Oct 19, 2000
Thanks for the heads up! this was a month or two back so we're passed the 2 week return. Oh well.
Anyone have any luck haggling with ATT to get full upgrade eligibility 5 months early? Speaking of which, anyone know why they changed upgrade policies? Like I said in the past it's always been every 12 months.

-Luke

I don't believe it was a steadfast 12 months, I think it was more that they were willing to be lenient and let you upgrade early to make sure you stuck around with them a bit longer. Maybe they are tightening the reigns a bit these days.

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
I agree that AT&T used waive the rules a bit on two year contracts and let you do it once a year, but they are supposed to be every two years now. I have found that AT&T tells me their policy is to allow upgrades every two years, but if I go into the store they let me upgrade every 18 months. This last upgrade, they let me do it after 17 months and 2 days (18 months after last upgrade was Oct. 28th, and they let me upgrade on Oct. 1st).

lkailburn

Apr 8, 2006
drats. even called in to see if they would mind overriding it and let me upgrade but no go. Sounds like they are firm on the 18-month deal now. Bummer.

-Luke

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Looks like the phoneis 449.99 no contract price and free charging pad. Man that might be even a better deal than the Nexus 4. The extra 100 dollars gets you the camera,double storage,LTE and wireless charging pad for now.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/07/att-selling-unlocked-lumia-920-449-99/

It's lot more hassle to get that $449.99 price. You have to sign up for AT&T voice plan and service. And AT&T will hard pull your credit score. Then once you get your shipping and wireless number information, you have to call AT&T and cancel your voice and data service so you don't get hit with $35 activation fee and first month service fee. It's nothing complicated but it's annoying and unnecessary. You would think AT&T would just sell you the phone without making you jump through hoops.