Lumia 920, One X, or Nexus 4?

zokudu

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2009
Getting a new phone on AT&T. Really like the 920 but the availability of apps makes me nervous, especially with the whole Google blocking MS services deal that's been going on recently.

I don't like the SGS3 leaving the HTC One X as the top Android subsidized on AT&T, how does that compare to the Nexus 4? Nexus 4 worth the extra cash up front?

Really trying to decide which to buy.

thecapsaicinkid

Nov 30, 2012
If the lack of expandable memory and LTE is not an issue for you, I'd say the Nexus 4 is the best Android phone to date.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
SGS3>One x+>One x>Nexus 4

Lumia is a different argument, if you like winmopho go for it.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Lumia 920 and Nexus 4 are terrible phones. One X+, SGS3, Note 2, or IP5 not in any order.(Note 2 is the best of those phones however)

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I'd say nexus 4 is the best, but like thecapsaicinkid said you have to be ok with it's shortcomings. To me the strengths of the N4 far outweigh the negatives, I've owned both the SGS3 and 920 and I'm far happier with the N4.

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
Nexus 4 is the best phone but it lacks LTE which is okay if you want to switch to straight talk. One x has the best screen quality and would be my choice with att subsidized cheap or nothing. Forget the forgetabble one x+ and iPhone 5. SG3 is a solid choice but that screen is mediocre. I don't recommend the note anymore since Nexus 7 is so affordable and note 2 is so pricey. Simply add a nexus 7 as a secondary device then you don't need to carry a phablet.

Nokia 920 is a wonderful device that gets no love...

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
You do realize the One X goes for 200-250 used? Why would you sign up for a contract to get a subsidy on that?

Not saying the One X is a bad phone but I would not sign a contract in postpaid AT&T service for it. You will be wasting money. Same with the nexus 4.

Go prepaid or buy the iPhone 5 sell it then buy what you want in eBay or here on the forums.

Last edited:

pantsaregood

Feb 13, 2011
I'm enjoying my Lumia 920 so far. Nexus 4 is the only Android phone I'd currently consider, but I do find the lack of storage disturbing. The lack of LTE also kind of sucks.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
If you can carry the 920 you can carry the Note 2 (same weight). The Note 2 is a couple of generations more advanced and polished...

pantsaregood

Feb 13, 2011
If you can carry the 920 you can carry the Note 2 (same weight). The Note 2 is a couple of generations more advanced and polished...

I have no idea why anyone would complain about the weight of a phone. I do think the Note is gratuitously large, but complaining about the weight of a phone seems absurd. It isn't like a block of lead. I'd honestly expect the Note 2 to weigh less than the Lumia 920.

\\

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
920 is beautiful and has been flawless or me so far. Haven't looked back since making the switch.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
I have no idea why anyone would complain about the weight of a phone. I do think the Note is gratuitously large, but complaining about the weight of a phone seems absurd. It isn't like a block of lead. I'd honestly expect the Note 2 to weigh less than the Lumia 920.

\\

The Note 2 weights 180g, Lumia 920 weights 185g.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
Getting a new phone on AT&T. Really like the 920 but the availability of apps makes me nervous, especially with the whole Google blocking MS services deal that's been going on recently.

I don't like the SGS3 leaving the HTC One X as the top Android subsidized on AT&T, how does that compare to the Nexus 4? Nexus 4 worth the extra cash up front?

Really trying to decide which to buy.

the only android phone I would consider is the nexus line - I can't stand skinned android so the HTC phones wouldn't even be an option for me. I own a n4 and daily carry my galaxy nexus. the n4 isn't that much better... in everyday use it has a better camera and external speaker. The n4 doesn't have squat for cases, and after using a holster case with my GN, that is a bigger factor than anything for me.

There is the issue of availability. Can you even get a n4?

I am a big fan of the lumia 920. build quality is second to none. You get LTE with it vs the N4, but you have to like windows phone... I do like it, but I am in too deep with google now that it didn't make sense to pay the extra money for the 920, or sign a contract with ATT to get it. I can tell you that I used to be excited about getting a new nexus device, but with the nexus 4 I am kind of bored with android. it isn't offering me the cool newness that I got with previous generations -> galaxy nexus. And then there is the iphone-like back glass that is a huge con. it doesn't add anything positive to the feel of the phone and simply makes it heavier. I also don't like the contained battery. I can live with the lake of SD card. never been an issue for me

I have a nexus 4 and I am still debating getting a 920. the fit/finish feel of the phone and refreshing change from android is what is attracting me to it

Last edited:

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
The Note 2 weights 180g, Lumia 920 weights 185g.

the weight is insignificant IMHO. I have used the 920 and it just feels solid. everyone made a big stink about the weight when it was released. When I first experienced myself in person, it wasn't something that I considered too heavy. the note 2 is a good device, but the overall dimensions become the issue with it. it is just a large device

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
I wouldn't get the lumia 920. It's such a fat phone on an immature OS.

The OneX and N4 are fine phones.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
the weight is insignificant IMHO. I have used the 920 and it just feels solid. everyone made a big stink about the weight when it was released. When I first experienced myself in person, it wasn't something that I considered too heavy. the note 2 is a good device, but the overall dimensions become the issue with it. it is just a large device

Note 2 is actually more comfortable for me to hold. The 920 is a really wide phone and the bottom corners of it are actually fairly sharp due to their shape. Add in the weight and it really digs into the pad of your palm. The Note 2 has a much more rounded shape and fits into my hand more comfortably. And it's really not that much wider than the 920. It's definitely taller. For pocketability the note takes up more space but the density of the 920 is more apparent flopping around.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
920 is beautiful and has been flawless or me so far. Haven't looked back since making the switch.

What other phones have you had and what shortcomings did you find with those that the 920 doesn't have? I get the feeling that if you're not a heavy app user you probably like the 920 just fine, but if you stray outside of the 100 most popular apps you may not find an equivalent on WP8. Is that an accurate assessment?

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
Mine is on order now and should be here later this week. I'm really looking forward to using it.

I'll be coming off a HTC Desire Z so i'll be changing platforms, but i decided to take a chance this time - On the most expensive phone i've ever purchased - scary :p

What other phones have you had and what shortcomings did you find with those that the 920 doesn't have? I get the feeling that if you're not a heavy app user you probably like the 920 just fine, but if you stray outside of the 100 most popular apps you may not find an equivalent on WP8. Is that an accurate assessment?
You have a point. The big reason why i went for the Lumina 920 is because i have my laptops and desktops on Windows 8, so everything will be synced automatically as long as i use Microsofts services, which i will.

App wise, i own heaps of apps in the Google store, but most of them are utilities that i don't actually use anymore. The main one i will miss will be the RealVNC remote app which i use quite a lot. Other than that it's mainly email, sms and ringing.

I hope that Windows phones pickes up more traction, but if it doesn't as long as the phone can provide me with a quick OS, Email, SMS and decent call quality then i'm a happy camper.

Last edited:

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
i wouldnt recommend anything windows. lumia looks nice and windows is buttery smooth but the number of common web pages that windows cant render properly (or that it renders in a simplified form) is rather astounding. i wouldnt want to have to deal with that at all

smakme7757

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2010
i wouldnt recommend anything windows. lumia looks nice and windows is buttery smooth but the number of common web pages that windows cant render properly (or that it renders in a simplified form) is rather astounding. i wouldnt want to have to deal with that at all
I havn't heard mention of this before. Is this related to Version 7,7.5,8 or all? That's certainly news to me.

All i've heard that that IE10 is a fantastic and fast web browser.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
It's a little early to tell how IE10 will shape up. Preliminary issue that was pretty big was google maps not working with IE.

As a web developer, I don't prioritize for IE. All the bells and whistles are developed for the other modern browsers.

I'm still skeptical about IE10 because MS thought it was a great idea to release 2 versions of IE10 on Win8, and a gimped version of IE10 for Win7.