Lumia 920, One X, or Nexus 4?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by zokudu, Jan 5, 2013.

1. biostud

biostud Lifer

I've just ordered a 920, as my first smart phone.
    Reasons:

-I like how it looks and feel.
    -I'm not a heavy app user since I havn't had one before, and you can download nokia's maps to the phone, and use the GPS offline (US maps ~1.8Gb), very good for traveling.
    -Camera, video and microphone
    -not apple
    -Integration with win 8
    -I think WP8 looks and feel nicer than android and iOS.

Lot of subjective reasons, but that was my reasons :)

2. Nebor

Nebor Lifer

My Lumia 920 keeps pulling my hair and pushing me in the mud. :'( I'd run away, but it's too heavy to run with!

3. amdhunter

amdhunter Lifer

I have both the Lumia and Nexus 4 (and an iPhone 4 with no service.)

The lack of apps on the Lumia is nerve-wracking. Don't believe the hype when people say "well, the important apps are there", they are not. That said, it's incredibly fast on ATT's LTE network. Incredibly fast.

My Nexus 4 is annoying because I could only snag an 8GB on launch day. Other than that, it's a great phone. I love to tinker with my phone so I am putting in a new ROM every other day. I like that. There are a ton of apps, and for the most part, they work fine. I preferred the app experience on my iPhone 4 better, but the fact that iOS's face hasn't changed much since iOS 1 is annoying as hell.

If I were getting a new phone today, it would probably be Nexus 4 > iPhone 5 > Lumia 920.

Of all the phones I've ever owned, the Lumia gets the best comments from people. It's proof that good design trumps thin.

4. openwheel

openwheel Golden Member

Good choice. You may be an early adopter of WM8, but it's a good one to start with. At this point WM8 is sleek and stable, and you are not becoming an iSheep or another Android clone. People will say they have more apps, but trust me if you are even semi-productive in life you would minimize your apps. The bet app on any platform is still, the browser.

Bonus: you have arguably the best camera on a cellphone today: The second most important feature besides the dialer. The best low-light performance bar-none. I believe there is an official software update for the ATT version and significantly improves day time picture quality.

Now you just need a Nexus 7 or iPad Mini Retina (if Apple will make one) and you are all set.

#29 openwheel, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  5. biostud

biostud Lifer

I have all my work on SkyDrive, and I tried editing a word document in the store, so that seemed to work as it should. I've read about the patch, but the release in Europe should be around february along with a major WP8 update, or so the rumors say.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/smar...mia-920-820-software-update-features-detailed

#30 biostud, Jan 7, 2013
  6. Jeff7181

Jeff7181 Lifer

What are some examples of apps missing from the Lumia?

7. Skel

Skel Diamond Member

There are lists here and there of apps that WP just doesn't have and in some cases (Google services) there doesn't seem to be any indication that they'll ever show up. Personally I've found that it's a very subjective thing as people don't use computers/tablets/phones the same way so what's missing for one person isn't an issue for another. Case in point, I remember seeing something about an ESPN app missing for WP (could be there now). I can't ever see myself using it that much, so I wouldn't care if it ever showed up. The user that posted it before obviously cared a lot.

8. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

One X+, but NOT the original One X. It's a good phone that helped it's storage problems of the normal One X by increasing storage to 32gigs and increasing battery size a tad. That's enough for me (not everybody) so I'd go with that. I could go with a Nexus 4 if it had a 32gig option but I don't believe it does so I personally wouldn't even consider it.

9. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

All Android is skinned unless your rom boots to a command prompt.

10. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

:p

The one and only phone I would tolerate manufacturer customizations on is the Note 2.

11. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

There's been an ESPN app for Windows Phone for months, heck almost a year.

As for Google services, you aren't picking a device anymore, you're picking an ecosystem. Google's obvious "screw you" to Microsoft ecosystem users should tell you that they are willing to use you as a pawn to further their goals. I dumped Gmail after the Google Maps re-direct fiasco.

12. Zivic

Zivic Diamond Member

I guess you got me on a technicality.... bonus points for you....

13. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Its not a technicality. JB is skinned, ICS is skinned, TW roms are skinned... the fact that you think the icons in one look prettier or that the menu looks nicer doesnt change that.

14. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Eh, you should have left it as a joke. :p

You know what he means, I know what he means, everyone here knows what he means.

15. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Go on then, what did he mean?

16. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Non-stock Android.

17. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

So you're saying he likes the stock skin?

#42 WelshBloke, Jan 7, 2013
  18. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

so basically you're insistent on calling everything a skin because unskinned OS should be a command prompt?

you know what people mean when they mean unskinned. it means AOSP Android. skinned refers to touchwiz, sense, etc.

19. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

What's holo then?

20. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

No option for the LG Optimus G?
    That should be available on AT&T subsidized contract plans.

21. s44

s44 Diamond Member

Instagram

22. MrX8503

MrX8503 Diamond Member

Native to android

23. Zstream

Zstream Platinum Member

Coming from Iphone 3gs/4 and motorola Atrix user:

Iphone 3gs/4 - It's an ok phone, the call quality sucks as I'm on conference calls all day long and admit that the phone does a terrible job of being a "phone". When it comes to the ecosystem, it's one of the best. Everything is just there, very little in terms of customization or settings that you have to set to get this to work.

Internet websites appear to be tailored to the iOS vs. Android or WM7/8. This can lead to a better experience.

Android Atrix - Pretty good phone, speaker phone is terrible, phone is pretty bad as well unless in perfect conditions. Web browsing is great as it had flash. It did always crash in Youtube which is a known common problem and pretty frustrating. I did like making some widgets here and there but it all drained the battery.

Lumia 900 - Good phone, build is great, speaker and phone are very good. The battery life is just "ok" and nothing special. Nokia Drive, Maps is one of the best GPS software applications on any device. I just got tired of downloading so many apps and today I just use Facebook, ActiveSync, Lync, Engadget, youtube, ESPN, Fox News, CNN, Skype, Flashlight-X, Fandango, Nokia Drive, Nokia Maps, Football '12, SoundHound (needs updating, app is poor).

24. Zivic

Zivic Diamond Member

I think you, I, and everyone in this thread knew the point I was making. I want an android experience that is not skinned by a third party. I want android as google puts it out, not with touchwiz, motoblur, or sense.

25. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

The point I was making is the skin is a really superficial thing to get hung up on.

Why do you just want the skin that Google releases? What if the next Google skin is Hello Kitty?

Argue against the bloat or the launcher or the longer time for updates but the skin just seems like a trivial thing.