lower back pain after workout

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Ugh... yesterday I was supersetting curls with crunches. Soon after I finished, I was pacing around the gym when out of the blue something muscular in my lower back twinged. It's been hurting ever since.

What can I do to help treat this? I put a heating pad on it last night & tried some light stretching yesterday & today. It seems like it's loosened up some, but is still pretty painful.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
you need to put heat on it... yes, ice, initially, but you need to increase blood flow and loosen up the muscle. Ice will help inflammation and swelling, but you need to follow the ice with heat.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
1) wtf crunches?
2) Stretch your lower back... Google is your friend
3)..... Crunches..?!?!?

There's literally hundreds of better abdominal and core exercises than crunches. Pick one, stretch, and the pain should subside. If not, I'd visit a PT to make sure you don't actually have a real problem.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
1) wtf crunches?
3)..... Crunches..?!?!?

There's literally hundreds of better abdominal and core exercises than crunches. Pick one, stretch, and the pain should subside. If not, I'd visit a PT to make sure you don't actually have a real problem.

ok, so not exactly crunches... I have been doing weighted "crunches" on a cable machine with a rope attachment. I've been doing them in supersets with my "muscle of the day" exercises in order to build & maintain heart rate & momentum.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
ok, so not exactly crunches... I have been doing weighted "crunches" on a cable machine with a rope attachment. I've been doing them in supersets with my "muscle of the day" exercises in order to build & maintain heart rate & momentum.

Welllllll those are two different things lol but okay, those are acceptable.

So the back never hurts at any other time, except after doing that movement?

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Welllllll those are two different things lol but okay, those are acceptable.

So the back never hurts at any other time, except after doing that movement?

"crunches" is easier to type than "crunchy type thing on a cable machine with a rope attachment" :)

This is a first for my lower back, at least on the right side. Several years ago I strained my lower back on the left side while doing bench press, but it seems to be 99% healed.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
"crunches" is easier to type than "crunchy type thing on a cable machine with a rope attachment" :)

This is a first for my lower back, at least on the right side. Several years ago I strained my lower back on the left side while doing bench press, but it seems to be 99% healed.

If I were you, this is how I'd approach the situation:

1) Stop doing that specific exercise. Work your abs via planks, ab wheel, etc.
2) Stretch the lower back out every day for 5-10mins
2a) If no pain on the new ab exercises, go back to old rope exercise
2b) If there's still pain, see a PT

General question: Do you specifically ever work your lower back muscles during your routines? If you're neglecting it, those muscles may be weak. Since I'm not you (and I don't know your pain tolerance) I can't say if what you're experience is just muscle fatigue and soreness, or potential injury.

Also, just my .02, but I'm not even a huge fan of that rope exercise. Done properly I think it's fine, but people may still tend to arch the back a lot. When in life (and lifting) is an arched back ever a good thing? This is why I stick to planks, ab wheel, leg lifts and wood choppers.

Last edited:

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
If I were you, this is how I'd approach the situation:

1) Stop doing that specific exercise. Work your abs via planks, ab wheel, etc.
2) Stretch the lower back out every day for 5-10mins
2a) If no pain on the new ab exercises, go back to old rope exercise
2b) If there's still pain, see a PT

General question: Do you specifically ever work your lower back muscles during your routines? If you're neglecting it, those muscles may be weak.

good advice, thanks!

Yeah - I use a Roman chair at least once a week. On leg day, I rotate straight-legged deadlifts and good mornings (mostly for hamstrings, but a good lower back workout at the same time).

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
you likely have tight psoas and hip flexors... look up psoas stretches

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
sounds like back spasms i used to get. like someone stuck a tiny sharp knife and gave a little twist. quick, but the pain spread and lingered for days.

stretching helps relieve the pain a bit.

iluvdeal

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999

I recommend trying the rope crunch on a balance ball, I feel like it hits my abs 10x better than just kneeling and doing a rope crunch.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
day 2, more stretching yesterday & today, more heating pad last night... it has evolved from being a sharp localized pain in my lower left lumbar area to being a dull localized pain. I think that is a good sign that it is healing

Sep 29, 2004
thanks, I never can remember. is there a rule of thumb?

It used to be if under X hours use ice. After X hours, use heat.

Not sure if it is still true.

I had a similar problem 6 months ago. Lifted Sunday. Went to heavy on Pendalay rows. Tweaked my back. On Wednesday at 7 PM it still hurt. Had 3 days of hellish sleep. I took a double dose of advil or whatever the hell the OTC anti-inflammatory is. At 7:30 PM I show up at pickup B-Ball and I was fine. Slept like a baby that night.

I thouguht it was a muscle. I don't know what it was but anti-inflammatorys are your friend ;-)

Sep 29, 2004
1) wtf crunches?
3)..... Crunches..?!?!?

No shit. I do Ab roll outs. I also do situps but making sure I have a straight spine. I used to do 25 lb plates on my chest with perfect form and had no issues. I did not increase to 30 pounds ever because my form went to shit.

Crazy huh ... even sit ups have proper form. It's not just squats and deads. It all comes down to shoulders back and activated core (muscles around spine are tight).

I can squat and deadlift 300 pounds. I have no belt. I have good form. Nothing is more important. A strong core and good form. This is not unique to these two exercises. Do situps with a straight spine with activated core. If you can't .... you can't actually do a proper sit up.

I am not totally against crunches but they are stupid unless you are an elite body builder or something. I'm assuming that the OP is not elite. I mean really elite. Like elite by definition of top 10 in the world.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004

There is no proper term for this?

I write software at work and my recent bitching about the improper use of words lately has created a friendly debate among coworkers.

What is it called?

Googles has told me:
cable crunches

So, you were doing seated cable crunches with a rope attachment when facing away from the machine? Or towards the machine? Seated? The simple use of the correct verbs and nouns will tell us everything in 5 words or less.

Learn the terminology and use it properly.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
There is no proper term for this?

I write software at work and my recent bitching about the improper use of words lately has created a friendly debate among coworkers.

What is it called?

Googles has told me:
cable crunches

So, you were doing seated cable crunches with a rope attachment when facing away from the machine? Or towards the machine? Seated? The simple use of the correct verbs and nouns will tell us everything in 5 words or less.

Learn the terminology and use it properly.

Ask yourself, does it really matter?

Towod

Dec 6, 2008
you likely have tight psoas and hip flexors... look up psoas stretches

I occasionally have pain in the same area. I initially teaked mine while moving a bunkbed
Went to my Chiropractor and then a massage, the massage therapist suggested the same stretches and it has helped alot.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
thanks, I never can remember. is there a rule of thumb?
Ice for couple days, then heat. Moreover, rest. In the future, probably should pay more attention to core exercises and stretching. They've helped me avoid things like this CONSIDERABLY!!!

Reactions: highland145