Low of -54F tomorrow

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Currently 56.3°F in Maitland, FL. Tomorrow's high is supposedly 76°F.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
wow, we are the ones that are suppose to get that type of weather. well that's ok, you can have it. I'm happy with our unnormally warm -10Cs. Well it's actually -17C now but w/e.

I do actually see the effects of "global" warming though when I look at the general changes in climate in the past 10-20 years. It seems our winters are getting shorter and shorter, though they also seem to have shifted. They tend to end at a later date then before. Our summers also suck more and more. Seems our summers are colder and our winters are hotter. Wonder at what point they will just equalize and we wont have any seasons? :p

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I'm trying to imagine what that feels like, it was around 27 the other night here and I was fucking freezing. I'm thinking how 80 feels semi warm and 107 is almost unbearably hot. 27 was too cold for me, I don't think I could stand 0, -54 I would fucking die.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
-54F will kill you without a coat in about 15 minutes. Don't believe it? A few people die every year "just running to the corner for ____" in office clothes. The air freezes their lungs and they suffocate. We now return you to regularly scheduled spamming.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I was out puffing a jib last night and it was freaking cold. The wind chill was 8° F apparently.

Man that sucks. Thought I would be okay with that temp because where I'm from and especially went to school, it was commonly below zero with wind chills much colder. I'd walk at least a mile daily to school in that stuff. It's cold here in NY but not as bad as MI.

I love having a garage for my car here. Though I'd way rather have had it in conditions in MI where I'd clean 6-8" off almost every day at times. Ex: http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/duragezic/snow_3-2006_06.jpg. Along with ice many times that made it impossible to open doors and windows.

Last edited:

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
And I'm sniveling about it getting down to 25F here tonight? I have been in some pretty cold places (Watertown NY, Sierra Nevada Mountains, Norway) but -54F is brutal.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
-54F will kill you without a coat in about 15 minutes. Don't believe it? A few people die every year "just running to the corner for ____" in office clothes. The air freezes their lungs and they suffocate. We now return you to regularly scheduled spamming.
I wonder when I see video of people in really cold weather. Their faces are exposed. Don't suppose it's -54F there. Well that was supposed to be with windchill, but you have to think the actual temperature is well below 0. The last week it has been much colder here than at any time since around last January. I've gotten used to it already. It doesn't get that cold here, though. Lowest this week was 31 at 2:30 AM.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
I remember last winter scraping the ice off my car at -15 with -35 windchills. My whole car was frozen, even the ignition was stiff when I put in the key. Fired right up though :) But then I found my wheels were frozen to the concrete (was on the topmost level of the parking deck), had to give it some gas to break it free.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I wonder when I see video of people in really cold weather. Their faces are exposed. Don't suppose it's -54F there. Well that was supposed to be with windchill, but you have to think the actual temperature is well below 0. The last week it has been much colder here than at any time since around last January. I've gotten used to it already. It doesn't get that cold here, though. Lowest this week was 31 at 2:30 AM.

It's the extreme cold coupled with aerobic exercise (running) that does the damage. Your nose doesn't have a chance to pre-warm the air and the surface area of your lungs is much greater than a few square inches of exposed face. The cold shock can cause convulsions and lack of muscle response in addition to keeping you from breathing. Those that suffer from asthma or did in the past are at high risk for these additional complications.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
lmao

12° tonight with 20-30mph winds.

26F with windchill of 7F. Been babysitting a friends dog and need to take him back to his house now which is about 1/2 mile away. Thought about driving him home but I'm going to just bundle up and walk him home instead.

When you have a dog and run outside year round, you stock-up on cold weather gear.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It was around 4f yesterday, with gusts of wind up to 50mph. I wore a hoodie with a heavier jacket over it.

Today it got up to 25 and was sunny. I wore shorts today and a hoodie.

What a difference 20 degrees and some wind makes....

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
for being in tennessee, i'm ususally considered a polar bear. typically no jacket above 40-50* and even in non-substantial clothes i'm not really affected until it gets to be in the 20's.

but -50, goddamn.