Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
The crazy thing is that these stupid people then create a study based on improper science and a bad use of statistics and then claim those who disagree with them are actually the stupid ones.

Yet the lefties will continue to think the science supports them when instead it shows what a bunch of gullible, bigoted fools they are.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
The researchers controlled for factors such as education and socioeconomic status, making their case stronger, Nosek said. But there are other possible explanations that fit the data. For example, Nosek said, a study of left-wing liberals with stereotypically naïve views like "every kid is a genius in his or her own way," might find that people who hold these attitudes are also less bright. In other words, it might not be a particular ideology that is linked to stupidity, but extremist views in general.

woops, guess I shouldn't have read that far.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This isn't really a surprise. Right wing pandering & fearmongering are aimed at the lowest common denominator of intellectual capability & emotional maturity. It's a gut level pitch, with supporting "evidence" presented in the usual method of simulated rationality, all other evidence ignored. When additional facts surface, ones that should lead to questioning the veracity of sources, the whole episode goes down the memory hole, buried under the power of Faith.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
This isn't really a surprise. Right wing pandering & fearmongering are aimed at the lowest common denominator of intellectual capability & emotional maturity. It's a gut level pitch, with supporting "evidence" presented in the usual method of simulated rationality, all other evidence ignored. When additional facts surface, ones that should lead to questioning the veracity of sources, the whole episode goes down the memory hole, buried under the power of Faith.

Whooosh!

Those were the facts passing you by.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The biggest hate-mongers I see are liberals. If you dont agree with them you are just ignorant. Pardon me while I go find ways to starve your grandmother and poison the air.

Xenon

Oct 16, 1999
The biggest hate-mongers I see are liberals. If you dont agree with them you are just ignorant. Pardon me while I go find ways to starve your grandmother and poison the air.

There are two types of conservatives. The stupid that this study points out and the dishonest. You are clearly the second type.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
There are two types of conservatives. The stupid that this study points out and the dishonest. You are clearly the second type.

There are only 2 types of liberals,
the ignorant (if they were better informed, they wouldn't be liberal) and
the stupid (they can never be better informed because they're not smart enough)

you must be the second type since this "study" was refuted in an earlier post.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
It's disturbing how susceptible humans are to seeing "the other" as less human. I can't believe how liberals in this thread are eating this stuff up, even with the actual analyses shown to be bad science.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
It's disturbing how susceptible humans are to seeing "the other" as less human. I can't believe how liberals in this thread are eating this stuff up, even with the actual analyses shown to be bad science.

Some day we'll see the government and the elite ruling class as 'the other'. Then things will be set right when we are not set upon each other.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Whooosh!

Those were the facts passing you by.

As if you even knew what kind of airplane formed the contrails way, way over your head.

Perhaps you'd care to explain Newt's resurgent popularity in terms not utterly tied to emotion & prejudice of the worst sort, the dog whistle politics of Southern White fear & loathing. or Birthers. Or Ron Paul fanbois. or belief in Obama's "Death panels". or the idea that we should cut government spending & employment to create jobs. Perhaps the the faith in the idea that the only things holding back the much revered Job Creators! are regulation & taxes.

Have at it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Cruise on over to the OWS thread - maybe you'll figure out what's wrong with that statement, although it seems unlikely.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
As if you even knew what kind of airplane formed the contrails way, way over your head.

Perhaps you'd care to explain Newt's resurgent popularity in terms not utterly tied to emotion & prejudice of the worst sort, the dog whistle politics of Southern White fear & loathing. or Birthers. Or Ron Paul fanbois. or belief in Obama's "Death panels". or the idea that we should cut government spending & employment to create jobs. Perhaps the the faith in the idea that the only things holding back the much revered Job Creators! are regulation & taxes.

Have at it.

Perhaps you'd like to discuss the "study" in this thread, you know, the actual topic, but since you got slam dunked with the study you want to divert into something else.

Newt is surging a bit because a number of Republicans see Romney as an "establishment" Republican, a RINO and they don't support the Libertarian policies of Paul or the highlighted religion of Santorum. That pretty much means Newt.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Perhaps you'd like to discuss the "study" in this thread, you know, the actual topic, but since you got slam dunked with the study you want to divert into something else.

Newt is surging a bit because a number of Republicans see Romney as an "establishment" Republican, a RINO and they don't support the Libertarian policies of Paul or the highlighted religion of Santorum. That pretty much means Newt.

What the study points out is that simple minds gravitate to simple solutions, usually ones that are emotionally satisfying. And whenever we put "emotionally satisfying" & "conservatives" together, we're talking about prejudice, even if it's subconscious & the subject is in complete denial about it. So it's entirely reasonable to offer up examples & seek other explanations for perceived behavior, which I've done & which you're desperately avoiding.

There's a reason for the term "Right Wing Authoritarianism" & a reason that "social Dominance Orientation" is also applied to modern conservatives-

http://mydd.com/users/paul-rosenber...servative-identity-politics-pt4-in-the-series

http://mydd.com/users/paul-rosenber...ervative-identity-politics-pt-3-in-the-series

Go ahead- read it. Maybe you'll understand yourself a little better.

epidemis

Jun 6, 2007
It's important to note that it's a statistical link. "Conservative beliefs" aren't inherently "stupid".

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
What the study points out is that simple minds gravitate to simple solutions, usually ones that are emotionally satisfying. And whenever we put "emotionally satisfying" & "conservatives" together, we're talking about prejudice, even if it's subconscious & the subject is in complete denial about it. So it's entirely reasonable to offer up examples & seek other explanations for perceived behavior, which I've done & which you're desperately avoiding.

There's a reason for the term "Right Wing Authoritarianism" & a reason that "social Dominance Orientation" is also applied to modern conservatives-

http://mydd.com/users/paul-rosenber...servative-identity-politics-pt4-in-the-series

http://mydd.com/users/paul-rosenber...ervative-identity-politics-pt-3-in-the-series

Go ahead- read it. Maybe you'll understand yourself a little better.

The only thing i'm avoiding it to be labeled by lefties and Democrats as something i'm not.

Go ahead and take Paul Rosenberg and link it far and wide, the guy is a nutcase.

*edit* I read Rosenberg.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Multiple studies and reports have been coming out lately showing how conservatives are not playing with a full deck.

I hope they didn't spend a lot of taxpayer money on these studies when all they had to do was log in here and see that.

1-26-2012

http://news.yahoo.com/low-iq-conservative-beliefs-linked-prejudice-180403506.html

Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice

Polling data and social and political science research do show that prejudice is more common in those who hold right-wing ideals that those of other political persuasions

These findings point to a vicious cycle, according to lead researcher Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Brock University in Ontario. Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, the study found.

There's no gentle way to put it: People who give in to racism and prejudice may simply be dumb, according to a new study that is bound to stir public controversy.

So the forum consensus is roast the OP and ignore the questions he asked.

Yup that will solve everything. As we stick our heads into a hole in the ground in vindication of the Ostrich strategy. Which explains why we only find Ostriches in zoos and on P&N because they can no longer adapt to a modern world. But on the plus side, Ostriches can kick really hard. Just like Ostriches on P&N.

Yee haw, I welcome out new bird brain Ostrich overlords.

There was no questions asked by the OP, see above quote. I don't see a question mark anywhere. Just a bunch of left wing troll crap posting.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I am dubious of general statements made about large groups of individuals. In the past, these statements have shown more about the biases of author than anything else.

Yes I read the article linked but not the studies mentioned.

mammador

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2010
lol... Most human societies in history have been in some sense prejudiced. Have most human beings who ever lived been prejudiced? Or had a low IQ? lol...

The idea that prejudice is "wrong" is just a contemporary moral belief. By that reasoning, most people in the US 100 years were dumb and right-wingers. It amuses how some hack pop-psychologist uses "theories" to support their own biases.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The only thing i'm avoiding it to be labeled by lefties and Democrats as something i'm not.

Go ahead and take Paul Rosenberg and link it far and wide, the guy is a nutcase.

*edit* I read Rosenberg.

I linked Rosenberg out of convenience- feel free to Google the terms.

Both relate strongly to this, at least for modern conservatives-

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/07/11/how_facts_backfire/

All of this is about real world phenomena, about how belief shapes thought rather than vice-versa. All of us lean on our belief system to one degree or another- less intelligent people necessarily so, and conservatives in general as a matter of choice & convenience. Once we believe, we don't need to think as much because we let others do it for us, and because the thinking phase is over. That's why facts don't matter, why the introduction of facts often causes people to lean on their beliefs even harder to avoid cognitive dissonance.

It's why I asked you to explain observable phenomena and why you avoided doing so. It's the how & why of reasonably intelligent people appearing to be less so. Given reason to question their own core beliefs, they simply refuse, behave as if they can't.

mammador

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2010
makes sense. Of course all the hill billy inbred fucks probably pull the average down.

So most of US society was dumb decades ago? most of the world is dumb, since many societies are still prejudiced?

mammador

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2010
So the forum consensus is roast the OP and ignore the questions he asked.

Yup that will solve everything. As we stick our heads into a hole in the ground in vindication of the Ostrich strategy. Which explains why we only find Ostriches in zoos and on P&N because they can no longer adapt to a modern world. But on the plus side, Ostriches can kick really hard. Just like Ostriches on P&N.

Yee haw, I welcome out new bird brain Ostrich overlords.

I just think it's a petty attempt to demonise a group for their views. kind of like the guy who wrote a book saying that liberals are mentally ill.

Morality is subjective, as most people in modern society are realising. If so, then we cannot hold our anti-discriminatory morals as superior above all others, or that we are "better" or "more intelligent" for having them.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
The funny thing about people having "anti-discriminator morals" is that they use them to discriminate against those they feel do not have the same morals.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I just think it's a petty attempt to demonise a group for their views. kind of like the guy who wrote a book saying that liberals are mentally ill.

Morality is subjective, as most people in modern society are realising. If so, then we cannot hold our anti-discriminatory morals as superior above all others, or that we are "better" or "more intelligent" for having them.

Heh. Everybody believes in something. If the idea of egalitarian democracy in a constitutional framework exists as a desirable principle, then prejudice must necessarily be rejected to achieve it. The degree to which that happens and the degree we to which we believe that to be true illustrates the degree of hypocrisy within our society. If we hold anti-discriminatory morals above all others, we're at least consistent.