LOST 2 x 03

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Homerboy
Walts power is that he can make stuff appear out of what he sees. He imagines and its there.

That's the theory

so he hasn't actually made anythign appear? what happened in the show to show his powers?

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: habib89
i like the idea of the plane splitting, one side going to "the others" and the other side being left alone for jack to lead.. maybe this is just some experiment on human psychology (wasn't sociology and psychology mentioned in the orientation video?) on the ways people can act when set in a small lawless/governmentless groups? i bet they were all chosen for whatever reasons.. they do all seem to have a connection..

i'm not quite sure i agree with this statement. i don't think they are "the others" they're just being more careful w/ the n00bs that just showed up on the island.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
so he hasn't actually made anythign appear? what happened in the show to show his powers?

He was given a stuff polar bear by his dead when they first said "goodbye" when he was ~4yrs old. He also found a comic book, after the crash with a Polar Bear in it (no English text).

THere are 2 scenes in season 1 where Polar Bears attack the passengers, once specifically against Walt.

Also in season one, when Michael meets Walts step-dad the step-dad mumbles about how Walt is "special" and things 'just happen around him"....

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003

He was given a stuff polar bear by his dead when they first said "goodbye" when he was ~4yrs old. He also found a comic book, after the crash with a Polar Bear in it (no English text).

THere are 2 scenes in season 1 where Polar Bears attack the passengers, once specifically against Walt.

Also in season one, when Michael meets Walts step-dad the step-dad mumbles about how Walt is "special" and things 'just happen around him"....

Also, the scene in season 1 where Locke is showing Walt how to throw a knife.

Locke says something along the lines of "visualize the knife hitting the target", I think he also said to see it in your mind's eye. Walt concentrates, throws the knift and it hits. Walt says something along the lines of "I saw it hit before I threw it, and it happened".

mzkhadir

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Phoenix86

Also, the scene in season 1 where Locke is showing Walt how to throw a knife.

Locke says something along the lines of "visualize the knife hitting the target", I think he also said to see it in your mind's eye. Walt concentrates, throws the knift and it hits. Walt says something along the lines of "I saw it hit before I threw it, and it happened".

Isn't there a flashback with a dead bird.

TCPpacket

Feb 8, 2001
co-worker pointed this out to me, which was pretty cool. type in the following at maps.google.com, 4.815 162.342 (the numbers are coincidentally coordinates as well) and zoom out a bit. turns out these coordinates might be the position where the island is (flight path between austraila and los angeles).

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: TCPpacket
co-worker pointed this out to me, which was pretty cool. type in the following at maps.google.com, 4.815 162.342 (the numbers are coincidentally coordinates as well) and zoom out a bit. turns out these coordinates might be the position where the island is (flight path between austraila and los angeles).

now THAT is very cool

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by: TCPpacket

couldn't find it on google maps..

Dec 27, 2001

I disagree.

There was already mention of some kind of animal research convoy or something crashing into the island. Then, in the orientation video they watched last episode, there was a quick shot of polar bears again when they mentioned animal experiments.

I don't think Walt creates things out of thin air. In his flashback episode, he made a bird crash into the window. He made the knife hit the target. Also, he sabotaged the raft because he didn't want to leave. He also told Locke not to open the hatch.

So his powers seem more along the line of perception and manipulation.........NOT UNLIKE THE ISLAND ITSELF I might add. It's possible his powers are what kept the front of the place intact enough for them to survive. Any bets on whether or not Michael or Walt's mother had ties with the Dharma Project at some point? Could Walt be destined to serve as a channel for the island.....or might be be the counter balance that will be unity to the force? ;)

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
hrmm... good call on walt's mom having ties to dharma project.. does anyone nkow how she died? she did die right? that's how michael got custody of walt?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Oh I dont think Walts makes sh!t magically appear either. Thats just one of the widely believed theories out there.

What about Michaels "art" thats always mentioned in flashbacks too yet never in present day. I certainly agree with you that Walts mom/dad had some tie-ins with the Dharma project on some level.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
hrmm... good call on walt's mom having ties to dharma project.. does anyone nkow how she died? she did die right? that's how michael got custody of walt?

Cancer if I recall

Dec 27, 2001

I don't think we know specifically, but she did die and was experiencing dizziness/headaches briefly before. Possible side effects from her Dharma days? :)

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Kev
Originally posted by: athithi
The second season is off to a slow start because they are just setting up the next stage, the first stage being settling down on the island. I think the show is moving at the right pace and, frankly, if they simply keep revealing answers every episode, the show wouldn't last more than a few episodes. At its nadir, 'Lost' is way better than the rest of the crap on TV.

I wonder what's with all the Hindu/Indian connection, though. The narrator in the orientation film closes by saying 'Namaste', the project is called the 'Dharma Initiative' and of course, all the references to 108, which is a significant number in Hinduism.

what does namatse mean, and what is the significance of 108 in hinduism?

Namaste

...it's used like shalom or aloha or 'sup dawg :p

Furyline

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: RaDragon
No one's mentioned yet (or at least I missed the post) -- the Shark that was attacking Sawyer; they showed this on a Access Hollywood or something -- anyway, the Shark had a tatoo of the "Swan"/Bagua symbol/Evil corporation logo on it's tail. Are these sharks part of their experiments? Are they the reason why they had to implement that computer-code every so hours process?
Shark tail from ep 2. You can tell it is a similar logo, but with a different center. So it's probably connected to a different station; there are probably more stations on the island.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Furyline
Originally posted by: RaDragon
No one's mentioned yet (or at least I missed the post) -- the Shark that was attacking Sawyer; they showed this on a Access Hollywood or something -- anyway, the Shark had a tatoo of the "Swan"/Bagua symbol/Evil corporation logo on it's tail. Are these sharks part of their experiments? Are they the reason why they had to implement that computer-code every so hours process?
Shark tail from ep 2. You can tell it is a similar logo, but with a different center. So it's probably connected to a different station; there are probably more stations on the island.

I think the stations are scattered around the world....not the island.

Didn't the bunker have something to do with the island being used in WWII?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I think the stations are scattered around the world....not the island.

Didn't the bunker have something to do with the island being used in WWII?

I don't recall any mention of WWII...