LOST 2 x 03

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
The second season is off to a slow start because they are just setting up the next stage, the first stage being settling down on the island. I think the show is moving at the right pace and, frankly, if they simply keep revealing answers every episode, the show wouldn't last more than a few episodes. At its nadir, 'Lost' is way better than the rest of the crap on TV.

I wonder what's with all the Hindu/Indian connection, though. The narrator in the orientation film closes by saying 'Namaste', the project is called the 'Dharma Initiative' and of course, all the references to 108, which is a significant number in Hinduism.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
do we know for certain Sawyer, Michael and Jin are on the SAME island as Jack/Kate/Locke etc? Could they be on another island with Experiment Station #2?

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Vegito
Jin speaks perfect english

great, so this is just like 24 threads where retards have to ruin next weeks shows by talking about the previews... ugh...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: iamme
Originally posted by: Kev

great, so this is just like 24 threads where retards have to ruin next weeks shows by talking about the previews... ugh...

Topic Summary: *********Expect Spoilers

Topic Title: LOST 2 x 03

i would also expect spoilers to only be for Episode 3, not the previews of the upcoming episode. I was pretty bothered by how many people in this thread spoiled that, because I know a lot of people on here dont watch previews. I personally do and did last night so it didnt bother me, but still, no type of warning or anything on the spoiler.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Homerboy
do we know for certain Sawyer, Michael and Jin are on the SAME island as Jack/Kate/Locke etc? Could they be on another island with Experiment Station #2?
in interviews with Matthew Fox, he said it was "a different part of the island", so it must be the same island.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: purbeast0

Topic Summary: *********Expect Spoilers

Topic Title: LOST 2 x 03

i would also expect spoilers to only be for Episode 3, not the previews of the upcoming episode. I was pretty bothered by how many people in this thread spoiled that, because I know a lot of people on here dont watch previews. I personally do and did last night so it didnt bother me, but still, no type of warning or anything on the spoiler.

exactly. this is the same idea behind the 24 threads. i wish zim was obsessed with lost too...

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: athithi
The second season is off to a slow start because they are just setting up the next stage, the first stage being settling down on the island. I think the show is moving at the right pace and, frankly, if they simply keep revealing answers every episode, the show wouldn't last more than a few episodes. At its nadir, 'Lost' is way better than the rest of the crap on TV.

I wonder what's with all the Hindu/Indian connection, though. The narrator in the orientation film closes by saying 'Namaste', the project is called the 'Dharma Initiative' and of course, all the references to 108, which is a significant number in Hinduism.

what does namatse mean, and what is the significance of 108 in hinduism?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

When have you ever read/participated in a TV/movie/book/etc thread that hasn't, on some level, included spoilers? This isnt even a spoiler... its in the damned preview.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001

When have you ever read/participated in a TV/movie/book/etc thread that hasn't, on some level, included spoilers? This isnt even a spoiler... its in the damned preview.

the preview IS a spoiler. some people don't watch previews for that very reason.

RaDragon

Diamond Member
May 23, 2000
So Rodriguez is one of "The Others", which leads you to believe that "The Others" are the ones from the tail piece (did the big black guy that beat them down and locked them up have an Aussie accent?). But how can she be part of "the Others" that the French lady talks about? Her "The Others" were there 16+years ago... And why are these people w/ Rodriquez so "savage". And the people with Jack etc so humane?

You're right -- the people who survived the tail piece couldn't possibly be "The Others" because of what the French lady has been saying. They could be savage because they met the "actual" others around the island -- the seem to be deeper in the island, hence, might have had a run-in and are now protecting themselves, albeit like savages, from The Others...

Originally posted by: HomerboyAnd did you notice in the Orientation video how the benefactor of the experiment they set up was this mysterious type guy way up high in the office building? Obviously this is some "evil" and dirty" experiment of somet nature.

Absolutely. You also notice how Locke wanted to see the video again, and Jack didn't -- there's something else in that video that they need to catch, imho.

No one's mentioned yet (or at least I missed the post) -- the Shark that was attacking Sawyer; they showed this on a Access Hollywood or something -- anyway, the Shark had a tatoo of the "Swan"/Bagua symbol/Evil corporation logo on it's tail. Are these sharks part of their experiments? Are they the reason why they had to implement that computer-code every so hours process?

I also think that the pirate/slave ship plays into it... so we have 1 island, we know a priate ship landed 100s of years ago on it, and a French science teams accidentally got ship wrecked on it? and a jet liner crash near it? And a boating/yacht accident? AND the drug runner plane? And this is the electormagnetic station? Hmmm something drawing unknowing participants towards the island? So that there is an endless cycle of lab rats?

Absolutely, but it also has a lot to do with the passengers on-board each crashed boat/jetliner. They all seem to tie together.

Edit: oh, and we know for certain there are more stations to this experiment. I think he said "Swan is station 3, the electromagnetic station on this island" (paraphrased) So does that mean more islands? Or more stations on that 1 island.

And Jack is a pussy for pushing the button.

There definitely more islands for the Swan corporation; I'm guessing there's another station as well -- how do The Others survive?

The Others are very keen on Walt -- could it be because of Walt's "power"? To make things appear out of his imagination/books/comics?

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Haven't read everything yet, but has there been any talk to the man in the tall building in the Orientation film? (Which was at UofM...go...Blue?)

someone said that the man in the window looks like Locke's father. dun dun dun.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001

the preview IS a spoiler. some people don't watch previews for that very reason.

i can see where you're coming from, but i think you have to assume that people will once it's been on TV it's fair game.

i kinda wish i hadn't watched the preview to next week's episode....but if you want to read about it at all online, i think it's tough to avoid people talking about the previews they show on tv.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: EvilYoda
Haven't read everything yet, but has there been any talk to the man in the tall building in the Orientation film? (Which was at UofM...go...Blue?)

someone said that the man in the window looks like Locke's father. dun dun dun.

:Q

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

Retard? man chill down!
again, dont read threads like this... they ALWAYS CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Edit: Ah I see you removed the retard from the original post...

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
btw, wasn't there talk before the episode about some book called the "Third Policeman" or somehting similar?

i saw the book on Desmond's bed....also, after Jack saw Desmond's bed (with the pic of Desmond and someone) he went to Locke to tell him he was leaving. right as Jack came into the picture, he was putting something in his pocket, wasn't he? any confirmation on what it was?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
btw, wasn't there talk before the episode about some book called the "Third Policeman" or somehting similar?

i saw the book on Desmond's bed....also, after Jack saw Desmond's bed (with the pic of Desmond and someone) he went to Locke to tell him he was leaving. right as Jack came into the picture, he was putting something in his pocket, wasn't he? any confirmation on what it was?

Yeah thats the book that is supposed to be a good "decoder" (so says ABC) for the show
there was also the book that the orientation film was behind...

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
I think the black "thug" guy with the "others" may be the husband of the black lady who said he is still alive.

Jack broke down because in the past, Desmond told him "what if you did (fix her)?" Well Jack did fix her, and he married her, he "confessed" this to Desmond who didn't know that.

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
Alright, a few comments.

The investor is not Locke's father. It really looks nothing like him. I just watched that part again.

The 'others' that we've been introduced to don't look savage at all. That simply don't have as much clothing as the main group does. Even the big guy who threw Sawyer and bunch down in the pit sounded cultured when he said "What happened? Who are they?". Savage people don't put a spy in a pit to find out who they are. I think they are ALL people from the rear of the plane and they may have encountered the real 'others' and are hence wary of new people.

Also, noone has mentioned it but I think its pretty obvious that Jack's wife is dead. Possibly from a reinjury of her back. Maybe Jack blames himself for not being able to save her again.

As for Jin speaking English, I don't think he does. Remember the episode where we saw things from his perspective and everyone on the island was speaking gibberish? The preview segment is probably from a dream sequence.

Mark

habib89

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2001
i was annoyed by how they had to repeat the whole kate-escaping, desmond-holding-gun-to-locke's-head scene 3 times already.. must be easy on the actors... but i was wondering.. someone in last week's thread mentioned the rainbow project.. which dealt with magnitism and time travel.. you think maybe this repetition has something to do with time travel maybe? like maybe they're in some sorta spacetime bubble crap that you'd see on star trek?

i like the idea of the plane splitting, one side going to "the others" and the other side being left alone for jack to lead.. maybe this is just some experiment on human psychology (wasn't sociology and psychology mentioned in the orientation video?) on the ways people can act when set in a small lawless/governmentless groups? i bet they were all chosen for whatever reasons.. they do all seem to have a connection..

by the way, i missed the second half of last season.. what's walt's powers?

mzkhadir

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2003
Originally posted by: habib89
i was annoyed by how they had to repeat the whole kate-escaping, desmond-holding-gun-to-locke's-head scene 3 times already.. must be easy on the actors... but i was wondering.. someone in last week's thread mentioned the rainbow project.. which dealt with magnitism and time travel.. you think maybe this repetition has something to do with time travel maybe? like maybe they're in some sorta spacetime bubble crap that you'd see on star trek?

i like the idea of the plane splitting, one side going to "the others" and the other side being left alone for jack to lead.. maybe this is just some experiment on human psychology (wasn't sociology and psychology mentioned in the orientation video?) on the ways people can act when set in a small lawless/governmentless groups? i bet they were all chosen for whatever reasons.. they do all seem to have a connection..

by the way, i missed the second half of last season.. what's walt's powers?

Walts power is that he can make stuff appear out of what he sees. He imagines and its there.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I guess I shouldn't classify the group Rodriguez is with as "Savages" but they are certainly more aggressive than Jack's group. Hmmm... Notice how Rodriguez was "aggressive" in the airport bar, and Jack was certinly more reserved and conservative? Maybe with Rodriguez as their leader they are aggressive and Jacks group is then passive?

Is Jack's wife dead or did he simply not love her when he married her? He couldn't really come up with vows and he was CERTAINLY uncomfortable when she was directly toasting and gahfahing over him at their rehersal dinner. He was skwirming in his seat.

OMG.... I've become one of THOSE people w/ this type of show. Please shoot me.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001

Retard? man chill down!
again, dont read threads like this... they ALWAYS CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Edit: Ah I see you removed the retard from the original post...

yes i'm trying to be less vicious on the forum... ;)