Los Angeles is burning

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
The entire city is under an advisory to boil the tap water before drinking it. I had to shut off our water dispensers and coffee machine. We then went out and bought cases of water so we can give people a bottle of water to drink. We legally have to supply drinking water while they are at work. Of course we just can't put the water out in the break room because people will carry as much as they can out to their car, and then return for the rest.

Your company doesn't even provide water coolers for its employees? Wow.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
From the satellite infrared, it looks like another fire along the 405 north of Sunset Blvd.

Edit: I guess that's the Skirball Fire.

Last edited:

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
It's the same story every year. High winds causing trees to contact powerlines and vice versa. Man-made, annualized disaster. No understandable or easily implementable, but obviously obligatory, physical solutions. Thoughts and prayers.

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
We do, they are supplied with City water and have a reverse osmosis filter system on them. The city said that the only way to make sure the water is OK to drink is to boil it. They must be worried about a bacteria being in the water because and RO will take care of all sediment like ash. It won't take care of bacterial though.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I think Carson Dyle means one of these:

friend-black-cooler-hot-cold.png

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I think Carson Dyle means one of these:

friend-black-cooler-hot-cold.png
That was my immediate thought, but they approach water coolers differently. I'm sure it must be near impossible to get one of those delivered today given the water situation in L.A.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
That was my immediate thought, but they approach water coolers differently. I'm sure it must be near impossible to get one of those delivered today given the water situation in L.A.

postmates will do it.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
a crazy amount of firefighters

With Santa Ana winds predicted to continuing gusting through the weekend, firefighters are arriving from across much of the Western U.S. to provided much-needed relief to Southern California agencies.

Strike teams have arrived from Nevada, New Mexico, Montana, Utah and Idaho, according to Mark Ghilarducci, director of the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services. Colorado is also sending crews, outlets in that state reported.

Aurora Fire Rescue’s 4 firefighters arrived with other Colorado fire departments at their California staging area. Stay safe and AFR is thinking of California #AuroraFire #Californiawildfire

Firefighters have also come to the region from Northern California, where deadly and massive wildfires devastated Santa Rosa and surrounding wine country in October.

Los Angeles firefighters were sent north to assist in that response, and now agencies from that region have responded down here, Ghilarducci said at a Thursday morning news conference on the 475-acre Skirball Fire in L.A.’s Bel-Air neighborhood.

“Neighbor helping neighbor, everyone is supporting each other,” Ghilarducci said.

Strike teams from other states are staged to deal with additional problems that may arise from the continuing Santa Ana winds, which are expected to calm by Sunday.

Some 1,200 National Guard troops have also been pre-positioned within the Los Angeles Basin, and they’re accompanied by federal firefighting aircraft, Ghilarducci said.

Cal Fire Chief Ken Pimlott said lots of resources have been deployed to the region, including to cover fire stations. More than 5,000 firefighters are responding to Southern California blazes, a Cal Fire spokesman said F

“We have a system in place and it’s working,” Pimlott said.

Authorities repeated their mantra that those in fire-prone areas be “ready, set, go,” and heed evacuation orders. The red flag warning has been extended until 8 p.m. Saturday.

http://ktla.com/2017/12/07/neighbor...-western-states-arrive-to-assist-socal-crews/

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Mine ordered all the water coolers to be removed and installed some filtered taps in the lunch rooms. The issue with that is 1: it's not cold water, 2: in large offices you're not going to go all the way to the lunch room just for a glass of water (it's not so much about being lazy but about being away from the phones) and 3: once those systems were installed they left and there is no process in place to replace the filters.

Thankfully our building always flies under the radar, we still have our water cooler. :D

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
When I had an evac notice the fire wasn't actually close per-say. I could see the smoke, but I never felt in danger. The notice came through to everyone in the city, even though the fire was far north. I felt it was more a better safe than sorry situation, for me of course.

Reactions: Pick2

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The closest I've ever been to a fire like this is several years back a fire was very close to my city and at some point the wind shifted and all the smoke was coming our way. They were telling everyone to get ready for an evacuation if the wind does not change. Like the odds were still small, but basically to be ready. The wind ended up changing direction though

The picture does not really do it justice, it looked super eerie.

Timmins 9 Fire smoke (around 5:30pm May 24 2012)

Stopsignhank

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2014
Well to top things off I felt an earthquake in the middle of the night. It was just a little one, a 3.3 about 15 miles away.

Best of luck Jules!!