Looks like it’s happening. Trump wants a grand military parade.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The link I provided had examples. The Blue Angels fly planes, in cities on the ocean we have events where battleships and carriers are shown off. Don't you think cruising some carriers and battleships past a crowd is exactly that?

Not the same and you know it.

Jan 25, 2011
Maybe. And now the left is shitting their pants. Already "fascism" is being tossed around.
Nobody is making this a grand conspiracy. They are making it what it is. A sad display by a small man who wants to feel important and powerful. It shouldn’t happen.

Will it be treasonous or unamerican if you don’t attend and applaud enthusiastically too?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Bullshit. Your link is a false equivelency. Show me where there has been a parade of this scale. Like Bastille day in France which apparently was his motivation for this. You can’t.

I don't think its a false equivalent at all. How many countries cruise by crowds in $10.5 billion aircraft carriers?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Nothing turns a person into a liberal faster than feeling safe and self confident in one's own power. It was the inferiority induced by the defeat of the South in the Civil war that made it the bastion of ignorance and hatred of others in America, and the victory in WW2 that lead to American self confidence and preeminence in the world. Lot's of parades and demonstrations of might untested in actual combat and you start to believe it resulting in a decrease in personal insecurity and aversion to liberal risk-taking. We always create what we fear and conservatives above all else fear liberals.

One can always skip the theatrics, however, and get into psychoanalysis and directly root out the self hate by remembering via reliving what we suppress, what we really feel. Or you can just love God so much you become Him via reflection. Any baby steps anybody can take by showing kindness to others put icing on the cake.

I met a man at the hospital today who out of nowhere asked me why I was there and he told me when I answered that the surgery I will soon have is a piece of cake. That kind of thing.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
John Thomas Flynn’s As We Go Marching, published in 1944:

"But when fascism comes it will not be in the form of an anti-American movement or pro-Hitler bund, practicing disloyalty. Nor will it come in the form of a crusade against war. It will appear rather in the luminous robes of flaming patriotism; it will take some genuinely indigenous shape and color, and it will spread only because its leaders, who are not yet visible, will know how to locate the great springs of public opinion and desire and the streams of thought that flow from them and will know how to attract to their banners leaders who can command the support of the controlling minorities in American public life. The danger lies not so much in the would-be Fuhrers who may arise, but in the presence in our midst of certainly deeply running currents of hope and appetite and opinion. The war upon fascism must be begun there."

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
We have a lot of military exhibitions. I think this is making something out of nothing.

From that link: "We actually do have military displays, pretty frequently. Certainly not on a grand scale like China on National Day, Russia on Victory Day, or France on Bastille Day, but many more, smaller scale events."

What Trump wants is a parade even more grand than the French one on Bastille Day , not one of our normal exhibitions. An over the top multi-million dollar event for his own gratification.

"Trump was awestruck by the tableau of uniformed French troops marching down Avenue des Champs-Elysees with military tanks, armored vehicles, gun trucks and carriers — complete with fighter jets flying over the Arc de Triomphe and painting the sky with streaks of blue, white and red smoke for the colors of the French flag. 'We’re going to have to try to top it.'”

Every time I think Trump just can't do or say anything more ridiculous than whatever his current gaffe is, he does. Every. Time.

Jan 25, 2011
John Thomas Flynn’s As We Go Marching, published in 1944:

"But when fascism comes it will not be in the form of an anti-American movement or pro-Hitler bund, practicing disloyalty. Nor will it come in the form of a crusade against war. It will appear rather in the luminous robes of flaming patriotism; it will take some genuinely indigenous shape and color, and it will spread only because its leaders, who are not yet visible, will know how to locate the great springs of public opinion and desire and the streams of thought that flow from them and will know how to attract to their banners leaders who can command the support of the controlling minorities in American public life. The danger lies not so much in the would-be Fuhrers who may arise, but in the presence in our midst of certainly deeply running currents of hope and appetite and opinion. The war upon fascism must be begun there."
I think I love you.

Reactions: Amused

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I wonder if the man who lives in a gold-plated mansion knows what Bastille Day was even about.

I don't doubt that he'll be pushing for them to carry Trump signs.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Umm, how is it possible the military didn't just say Fu*k No?
They can't, but Congress can and you and I can tell Congress to tell Trump to go fuck himself. While I think the Presidents have grossly overstepped their Constitutional authority in sending troops on foreign adventures, I also think that ordering the military to parade around in DC is well within his authority unless Congress chooses to say "no funding allowed".

Reactions: Younigue

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Bullshit. Your link is a false equivelency. Show me where there has been a parade of this scale. Like Bastille day in France which apparently was his motivation for this. You can’t.

I still can't decide if he's just a troll, or, worse, he really doesn't understand the difference. Given some of his posting history, I think that it may unfortunately be the latter.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
"Parade envy"- I love it.

I take it that Trump is going full bread & circuses at this point...

It's the only way he can get ppl to show up for his parades, when they are under orders.

Nov 25, 2013
I still can't decide if he's just a troll, or, worse, he really doesn't understand the difference. Given some of his posting history, I think that it may unfortunately be the latter.

Or both, a troll who doesn't understand the difference.