Looks Like Illinois Will Be The Next Legal Marijuana State

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I did my part fighting the war on weed and have two felonies to show for something that is now legal. I also got stoned and protested Nixon in '74, so I get exactly what you are saying. Stoners do nothing but chase getting stoned. We're passive and compliant, just give us our weed. We're dismissive of your concerns because we're stoners and believe weed is safe.

Gotcha. I think you need to get stoned, real bad. :D

Thank you! Finally. I realize what I said isn't representative of everyone (as is any such controversial subjects) and I think people here tend to take everything as an absolute. I swear WWIII will be started by a tweet. Good on you for standing up for what you believe in (seriously). Where we differ is your impression of the rarity of wasters versus what I've seen. I get that they can be different experiences. My experience has been mostly a negative one personally (if it wasn't apparent), however I am fully aware of many successful people who are chronic users - that fact is not lost on me at all. Let's just say that I know way more weed smokers than I know non-weed smokers. The bulk of them are mostly all talk and no walk. Maybe it's a age difference, a era difference, who knows.

As judgey as I come off on this subject, I really am not, although it's more of a tolerate mentality - meaning, as long as it doesn't interfere with what needs done then all is good, but that could be said of anything. Where I do tend to draw a hard line (as I'm sure someone will call me out on it if I don't explicitly state it) is being accountable for actions. All that really means is if you break the law and get caught, take accountability. Obviously where weed is legal, this isn't an issue, but where it isn't legal, of course it can be an issue. The correct answer is simply, don't do it. However in conversations this clearly isn't the answer some want to hear and they proceed to do it anyway, and complain about it. I can certainly see that being an issue if you are the one arrested over it. My main point in many of these posts is simply that. Those who don't smoke weed aren't really concerned about the possible legal ramifications of smoking weed. The context always turns to 'it should be legal' but really the bulk of those who care are weed smokers. Those who don't aren't getting excited about it. They're like...okay..cool..I guess.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Thank you! Finally. I realize what I said isn't representative of everyone (as is any such controversial subjects) and I think people here tend to take everything as an absolute. I swear WWIII will be started by a tweet. Good on you for standing up for what you believe in (seriously). Where we differ is your impression of the rarity of wasters versus what I've seen. I get that they can be different experiences. My experience has been mostly a negative one personally (if it wasn't apparent), however I am fully aware of many successful people who are chronic users - that fact is not lost on me at all. Let's just say that I know way more weed smokers than I know non-weed smokers. The bulk of them are mostly all talk and no walk. Maybe it's a age difference, a era difference, who knows.

As judgey as I come off on this subject, I really am not, although it's more of a tolerate mentality - meaning, as long as it doesn't interfere with what needs done then all is good, but that could be said of anything. Where I do tend to draw a hard line (as I'm sure someone will call me out on it if I don't explicitly state it) is being accountable for actions. All that really means is if you break the law and get caught, take accountability. Obviously where weed is legal, this isn't an issue, but where it isn't legal, of course it can be an issue. The correct answer is simply, don't do it. However in conversations this clearly isn't the answer some want to hear and they proceed to do it anyway, and complain about it. I can certainly see that being an issue if you are the one arrested over it. My main point in many of these posts is simply that. Those who don't smoke weed aren't really concerned about the possible legal ramifications of smoking weed. The context always turns to 'it should be legal' but really the bulk of those who care are weed smokers. Those who don't aren't getting excited about it. They're like...okay..cool..I guess.

This is fair. But to those who don't partake, the criminal status of MJ DOES impact them, whether they care or not. Which was kinda what youre complaining about regarding MJ users, right? Don't want to think about something, so don't.

To provide my own anecdote. I've known many MJ users and adamant non users. I noticed that lazy people are lazy, and MJ seemed to have no impact on that.

The fact is, how we treat drugs in our society impacts everyone. Some more than others, but everyone is affected nonetheless.

Two videos I recommend to most people regarding this topic.

1. History channels Hooked, it's about 20 years old but a good informative watch

2. PBS did a 3 part series on prohibition, was on Netflix for a while.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Congratulations to the people of Illinois to standing up to big government and taking back some of their freedoms. It’s a travesty it’s taken this long for the country to wake up to the nonsense of marijuana being illegal and hopefully the rest of the US follows suit sooner rather than later. The momentum is their and the stats that have legalized already haven’t burned to the ground so hopefully the rest of us can enjoy it without fear soon as well.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
You you would think the politicians WOULD want the masses high and compliant all the time. Makes it easier for them to pass worse things when everyone is more interested in getting high than dealing with reality.
What's the people in the Red states excuse then?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It seems as though break ins wouldn't be much more of a problem than they are now. Selling on the street is an issue, no tax.
One of the pacific northwest states is going through this right now. Weed is cheaper on the street than in the store because of heavy taxation. I believe California also saw about half the expected tax revenue from weed. I guess these things would fall under the heading of "growing pains".

Legal dispensaries are incredibly popular to "normal" 40 hour a work week professionals. You go in, grab some edibles for the weekend...or maybe some evening when your kids are annoying the shit out of you. You spend $15-$20 bucks and you walk out. Pop one or two, have a drink or two, have fun, fall asleep and get one of the best rests of your life and wake up feeling great. Urban professionals drop A LOT of money into dispensaries because they are safe and easy. They don't want to save a couple bucks trying to meet up with some sketchy looking dude named Squeeb on a corner.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Yeh, people should be complacent about injustice when it doesn't affect them. There wouldn't be any problem if people just obeyed the law, even when the law is merely an exercise in authoritarianism & repression. You wouldn't even have to hear about it.

Reactions: dank69

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
I just want to say that I don't believe people should do the marijuanas (vague moral reasons). But we sure as hell shouldn't force that choice on people and ruin their lives if they use. Good on Illinois for passing this law! May the immoral war on drugs fade into a long forgotten memory.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I predict a lot of "checkpoints" in states that border IL after Jan. 1st.

Some like Indiana will probably give that a shot but you can literally toss weed from the back window of a house in Illinois into the back yard of a house in Indiana. Neighborhoods and city street grids connect so it's not exactly the Berlin Wall out there. They're welcome to waste their tax money trying.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Some like Indiana will probably give that a shot but you can literally toss weed from the back window of a house in Illinois into the back yard of a house in Indiana. Neighborhoods and city street grids connect so it's not exactly the Berlin Wall out there. They're welcome to waste their tax money trying.

Stoners' revenge for sending guns to Chicago.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Does a lot of things, prevents break-ins, growing more than allowed and selling on black market, etc. I'm sure taxes figured in there as well.

I don't know... these all sound kind of like excuses. I mean.. it isn't a perfect comparison, but most places allow their citizens to brew alcohol at home, and it isn't really an issue. I think that's partly because homebrew and the like is really more of a hobby, and it's something that you have to work at to get a good result. I have no experience with marijuana let alone growing it, but I assume it isn't different from that.

Although, it is worth noting that some places may still restrict homebrew. I know Alabama only legalized it back in 2013, but even prior to that, to my knowledge, it was largely ignored by law enforcement. Now, there are more craft breweries around here than you can shake a stick at!

But anyway... if you don't tax it ridiculously and its priced "fairly", I would suspect that people would rather pay for it than grow it. Although, I think I did hear that one of the issues in California is that it's too expensive compared to the black market, which is why it still thrives there. If we go back to the alcohol parallel, there's your cheap alcohols (both beer and spirits) and the more expensive kinds, and I think you need something like that with marijuana too.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Iowa has a river between them and IL, should be easy pickings for them to set up checkpoints.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Iowa has a river between them and IL, should be easy pickings for them to set up checkpoints.

It doesn't matter much. Vast quantities of legal weed leak out of CO on every highway even though our population centers are far from our borders. It's mission impossible, doubly so in the urban borders between Chicago, Indiana & Wisconsin.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Yeh, people should be complacent about injustice when it doesn't affect them. There wouldn't be any problem if people just obeyed the law, even when the law is merely an exercise in authoritarianism & repression. You wouldn't even have to hear about it.

Funny that doesn't seem to matter when it comes to the 'conservation camps'. No one wants to break the law regarding that apparently. I can't be the only person who doesn't compartmentalize threads for the sake of being hypocritical based on what I feel is most important to 'me'. I think peoples priorities need a wake up call.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
In my Empire of Cuomo we've decriminalized it. There was talk of legalization but His Majesty cast his eyes down upon those who sought it and banished them from his sight.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Funny that doesn't seem to matter when it comes to the 'conservation camps'. No one wants to break the law regarding that apparently. I can't be the only person who doesn't compartmentalize threads for the sake of being hypocritical based on what I feel is most important to 'me'. I think peoples priorities need a wake up call.
Not even sure what a conservation camp is but everyone should be happy when government overreach is reversed.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
In my Empire of Cuomo we've decriminalized it. There was talk of legalization but His Majesty cast his eyes down upon those who sought it and banished them from his sight.
Same problem in CT with the last governor. New governor is a little more open to it but there still wasn't enough willpower during the last session.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Been legal here for at least 2 years. Haven't stepped into a Cannibis store yet. Washington's taxes are insane and the inability to grow your own is a travesty that should never have been allowed. Only state I know that's legalizedj without personal grow rights. I find it funny that people think they have to deal with random street people if they don't buy from a store.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

The chief sticking point seemed to be who gets to control the money. I assume the good governor wanted that bit of power, like all the other bits he's accumulated for himself.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Yeh, threads are like that, compartments. Maybe it's intentional, huh?