Looks Like Illinois Will Be The Next Legal Marijuana State

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
https://www.chicagotribune.com/poli...nal-marijuana-legislation-20190531-story.html
llinois is one signature away from joining the 10 other states that have legalized recreational use of marijuana.

With a bipartisan vote of 66-47, the House approved a bill Friday that had been passed by the Senate Wednesday. Gov. J.B. Pritzker, who campaigned for office on a promise to legalize pot, almost immediately issued a statement in which he promised to sign a bill that he said offers “the most equity-centric approach in the nation.”

“This will have a transformational impact on our state, creating opportunity in the communities that need it most and giving so many a second chance,” Pritzker said in his statement.

With the governor’s signature, Illinois would become the first state to create a commercial recreational marijuana industry through the legislature rather than by voter initiative.

Good for them, the more the better. Plus it helps those incarcerated for pot.
Rep. Jehan Gordon-Booth, a Peoria Democrat, said the discussion about the bill’s expungement provisions was the first time in her decade as a lawmaker that minority communities were at the center of a major policy decision.

Wiping people’s criminal records clean will open up new educational and career opportunities that will help lift people out of poverty, Gordon-Booth said.

Last edited:

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Good. Ridiculous to be incarcerating for pot still. Waste of money and philosophically is stupid.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Limited home growing is still illegal except for med card holders so they'll always have somebody to bust. Being able to grow your own helps to keep the whole thing more honest. Legalization is still a good thing.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Limited home growing is still illegal except for med card holders so they'll always have somebody to bust. Being able to grow your own helps to keep the whole thing more honest. Legalization is still a good thing.
I'm assuming the ban on home growing is to protect tax revenue?

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I hope I see the end of the insane drug war in my lifetime. I believe that it will someday be viewed as a crime against humanity. Another baby step is surely welcome.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Does a lot of things, prevents break-ins, growing more than allowed and selling on black market, etc. I'm sure taxes figured in there as well.
It seems as though break ins wouldn't be much more of a problem than they are now. Selling on the street is an issue, no tax.
One of the pacific northwest states is going through this right now. Weed is cheaper on the street than in the store because of heavy taxation. I believe California also saw about half the expected tax revenue from weed. I guess these things would fall under the heading of "growing pains".

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Does a lot of things, prevents break-ins, growing more than allowed and selling on black market, etc. I'm sure taxes figured in there as well.

Yup, similar to alcohol, there's limits on home making. Baby steps isnt always a bad idea.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
You you would think the politicians WOULD want the masses high and compliant all the time. Makes it easier for them to pass worse things when everyone is more interested in getting high than dealing with reality.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I hope I see the end of the insane drug war in my lifetime. I believe that it will someday be viewed as a crime against humanity. Another baby step is surely welcome.
It strikes me as a loosing deal no matter how it works out. The trick seems to be picking the least damaging approach.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
You you would think the politicians WOULD want the masses high and compliant all the time. Makes it easier for them to pass worse things when everyone is more interested in getting high than dealing with reality.
How is alcohol any different and it's been legal for decades. Except alcohol is worse for your body.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Jeez, I think you're being a bit over dramatic here. It's like reading a political version of reefer madness.

Sure, plenty of people will go check it out, it's not gonna be drug crazed abandon, which is the point...it won't be lol.

Like @soundforbjt said, the same thing could be said about alcohol, and throw in ANY prescription medication that alters mood too....

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Jeez, I think you're being a bit over dramatic here. It's like reading a political version of reefer madness.

Sure, plenty of people will go check it out, it's not gonna be drug crazed abandon, which is the point...it won't be lol.

Like @soundforbjt said, the same thing could be said about alcohol, and throw in ANY prescription medication that alters mood too....

I'm not disagreeing, but let's not overlook the fact that there are abusers of it all and those people aren't typically the high functioning members of society.

How is alcohol any different and it's been legal for decades. Except alcohol is worse for your body.

never said it was, it also is part of the equation.

Quit being defensive about it, it was an observation that it would be in the governments best interest to have a sedated populous and so you think they'd be all over it handing the stuff out like candy (well as payment for actually working).

Reactions: IllogicalGlory

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'm not disagreeing, but let's not overlook the fact that people revel in their ability to smoke

never said it was, it also is part of the equation.

some people will assuredly partake(not smoking necessarily), and revel in it while doing so. To think it's more than it already is maybe not be a stretch, but just like alcohol...it's not for everyone. Simply put, it doesnt matter. It wont be like a propaganda video, so why say things like a propaganda video

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
some people will assuredly partake(not smoking necessarily), and revel in it while doing so. To think it's more than it already is maybe not be a stretch, but just like alcohol...it's not for everyone. Simply put, it doesnt matter. It wont be like a propaganda video, so why say things like a propaganda video

Because it wasn't, that is how you took it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Alcohol makes you stupid. Getting high is more of a sideways shift in perception.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Because it wasn't, that is how you took it.

well, it certainly seems like some fearing mongering of the propaganda persuasion. so I guess that's it.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
well, it certainly seems like some fearing mongering of the propaganda persuasion. so I guess that's it.

I would say it is only propaganda if it offended you. As I said it was an observation - not necessarily only about weed. I know enough potheads to know they are...well...good poster children for propaganda against legalization if we want to take it that way.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I would say it is only propaganda if it offended you. As I said it was an observation - not necessarily only about weed. I know enough potheads to know they are...well...good poster children for propaganda against legalization if we want to take it that way.

I personally didn't find it offensive. So, to understand this correctly, you using the term "high" in a MJ legalization thread doesn't necessarily mean weed. Well, ok then lol.

I would say your anecdotal evidence could be presented with many things that are legal, so oh well. Criminalizing MJ specifically has shown to do more harm than good. As a society, we accept a certain level of risk with many different items. MJ is benign comparatively.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I personally didn't find it offensive. So, to understand this correctly, you using the term "high" in a MJ legalization thread doesn't necessarily mean weed. Well, ok then lol.

I would say your anecdotal evidence could be presented with many things that are legal, so oh well. Criminalizing MJ specifically has shown to do more harm than good. As a society, we accept a certain level of risk with many different items. MJ is benign comparatively.

again, per what I said, You you would think the politicians WOULD want the masses high and compliant all the time. Makes it easier for them to pass worse things when everyone is more interested in getting high than dealing with reality.

Yes, it was in a weed legalization thread, because well, that's what we are talking about...then per the norm, everyone goes on the 'but but alcohol' - because apparently only they can make those comparisons? I'd be fine with alcohol being illegal, it wouldn't impact my life in any way. My main point in stating it here is that as Jhnnn pointed out weed basically dulls you and makes you less likely to rise up. Alcohol/Opiods (or insert <drug> here) are similar if not always the same but if you can get the masses more focused on their addictions than your policies, you've already won. Of course the next argument is 'well weed isn't addictive'.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
again, per what I said, You you would think the politicians WOULD want the masses high and compliant all the time. Makes it easier for them to pass worse things when everyone is more interested in getting high than dealing with reality.

Yea, and that's propaganda type assertions

Yes, it was in a weed legalization thread, because well, that's what we are talking about...then per the norm, everyone goes on the 'but but alcohol' - because apparently only they can make those comparisons? I'd be fine with alcohol being illegal, it wouldn't impact my life in any way. My main point in stating it here is that as Jhnnn pointed out weed basically dulls you and makes you less likely to rise up. Alcohol/Opiods (or insert <drug> here) are similar if not always the same.

I'm not ok with making alcohol illegal again. We know what prohibition does, and it's foolish to treat either alcohol or Mj that way. Neither would impact me either, but plenty of people would be. I guess if you wanted to follow the bouncing ball, I would be impacted because taxes would need to be adjusted to deal with all the new criminals.

Jhnn said it's a sideways shift in perception. He didn't assert that it dulls you or makes you less likely to rise up (maybe I missed the post?). Just like alcohol, each person's experience will be different.

I would say stay open to new information, you may be surprised what you find.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I didn't say that.

Alcohol alters your perception as well. And being high tends to make you look stupid as well to those who aren't also high. So I'm not sure what your point was then if you weren't saying that other than to try to drive home the 'alcohol bad, weed good' mentality.

The real difference is alcohol tends to bring out certain personality traits that are always there, but typically not as forefront - and amplifies them. Weed just tends to mellow people to the point of doing not doing much, and looking for more weed.

Last edited: