Looking to buy: Teach me your ways about snow blowers / throwers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
what was said about plastic being no good and get lets of shear pins while you can - SOLID advice.

Back about 16 years ago, bought a Craftsman - it was $799 on sale, don't remember any dimensions. Had electric start, NEVER needed it, a couple primes (push of a squishy bulb) and choke and thing started RIGHT up, regardless of temperature or if it was sitting 3 seasons waiting in the dirty garage.

The chute was made of plastic. GRRRRRR. this was the ONLY issue I ever had in 14 years of owning that home and machine. Went through a number of chutes and really tested my MAcGyvering skills. Nothing quite like shooting icy, wet snow STRAIGHT up in the air onto yourself because the chute pops right off.

I used to get cans of silicone spray, spray the inside of the chute, the blades and anything that moved and/or came into contact with snow to help everything flow. Cheap insurance? I don't know. Seemed smart.

My experiences exactly with a damned plastic snow chute. I think I had the same craftsman as you. 9 Tecumseh HP engine, I think a 26 inch cut. Shame because the snowblower was a decent performer and the engine was strong too. The handles to engage the auger and forward/rear motion were awkward but whatever. The plastic chute ruined for me and I replaced it once (I think I had to pay $80 + S&H or some kind of robbery price). Sold it after I noticed the new chute was beginning to fail in the same place as the old chute. The entire machine was made of tough steel and some cheapskate designer in an effort to save some pennies put a plastic chute on a part that sees some of the most abuse during operation. Sold it and lesson learned.

keird

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
My last 2 blowers came with electric start, never needed to use it.

Stock up on shear pins when you get the blower, you don't want to not have any when you need them and they sell out during winter.

The most useful thing is having a headlamp, it helps both to see what you are doing and more importantly, helps any motorists to help see the snow blower in poor conditions.

Solid advice above.

I have bought both the Toro 824 and, as a gift, the newer 826. The 826 was nicer because of the joystick and light, but a headlamp is still better for your situational awareness. I am now using the 13 year old Toro 824 that is okay. I just replaced a belt this season and made a repair to a rod that holds a pulley.

Instead of shopping for 'shear pins' find the specs and purchase 20 brass bolts and the corresponding lock nuts. It's much less expensive and you won't need to make an emergent trip for a replacement.

Snow throwers are always a welcome gift.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Snow blower A: 208cc, this is probably labbored, looks expensive for what you get (+$100 shipping).

Snow blower B: 250cc, little bit better. Is this adequate enough?

Snow blower C: 357cc, this is a 3-stage. From what I read, this should be the job most of the time.

Any feed back on those? Quality of engines, etc... any other recommendations entirely?

All due respect - screw all of those options. Go to a small engine/power equipment store, and buy an ariens, simplicity, or honda.

Make sure you get a strong engine - 7HP min for a 24 inch width, 9HP min for 24-30" width. Anything wider than that will be overkill. Ariens still makes one of the best snowblowers around. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I have a 927LE and it is a BEAST. Has handled the recent blizzards with relative ease.

The simplicities and hondas will be more expensive, but have slightly better engines.

Protip - don't buy a model with power chute controls, handwarmers, etc. That stuff breaks easily, costs a bunch of $$, and just is not worth it. All you really need is forward and reverse, independent drive and auger levers, and a manual chute control.

If you want to spend extra money on useful options, buy a set of chains for the tires or, better yet, buy a model with tracks. Heavy weigh snow skids/shoes are also useful.

Why buy from a power equipment dealer you ask? Because it is pretty well known that big box stores buy special sku's from snow blower manufactures. Those sku's can be sold for less $$ because they contain cheaper parts. E.g., plastic chute, bolts that are not stainless (big issue when moving salt and walter), aluminum vs. stainless gear case, etc. You will be FAR better off in the long run paying an extra $100 to the power equipment store, because you are in fact getting a better piece of equipment. You might not notice it right away. But you definitely will in 5-6 years.

2. Should I still buy them now or wait til next year? Should I wait til summer or something if they get cheaper off season- if so, worth the wait for saving?

You will probably have to wait until next year, as most stores in the northeast are completely sold out.

You can get a deal off season, but snow blowers can be hard to find then. A lot of manufactures store unsold inventory for next year.

3. General maintenance tips? Change oil, put gas, that's it?

Biggest maintenance tip is to make sure you run out or drain the gas after the winter season. Either that or ALWAYS use ethanol free gas. Most snowblowers are carburated engines. Ethanolated fuel can and will gum up the fuel lines and the carb. I always put fuel stabilizer and run a carb cleaner through my blower before storing it for the season. Other than that, you should change the oil and spark plug before each season. Hydraulic and/or other control lines will have to be adjusted from time to time too.

Also - buy some extra sheer pins. You will need them at some point and it sucks when one breaks and you can't get out of your driveway.

I presume it's always worth it to do a pass WHILE snowing to lessen the stress on the machines?

Nope. No need to worry about that. only time you "need" to do a pass while it is snowing is if it is likely that the snow will be deeper than the lip of the snowblower opening (typicallly 22-27"). The machine should handle up to 20" of now with relative ease.

Last edited:

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
Biggest maintenance tip is to make sure you run out or drain the gas after the winter season. Either that or ALWAYS use ethanol free gas. Most snowblowers are carburated engines. Ethanolated fuel can and will gum up; the lines and the carb. I always put fuel stabilizer and run a carb cleaner through my blower before storing it for the season. Other than that, you should change the oil and spark plug before each season. Hydraulic and/or other control lines will have to be adjusted from time to time too.

To clarify, do you take the carb apart and clean it before storage? Or do you mean there a carb cleaner you can run through an operational engine?

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
To clarify, do you take the carb apart and clean it before storage? Or do you mean there a carb cleaner you can run through an operational engine?

As Sho'nuff said, ethanol screws up small engines. We have a high percentage here in NJ, so it's a major issue for landscapers. I follow the recommendation of the small engine guy who works on my stuff. To winterize I leave the tank full, add a stabilizer (sta-bill or something like that), run it for a minute or two to get the juice into the lines, and then put it away for the winter. Has worked well for me so far.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
That size driveway, sounds like room to park a truck. Is getting a used truck with a plow out of the question? 10 times faster and 10 times easier for removing the snow.

Or, for the $1000+ that you had in the OP, why not just pay someone to plow the driveway after a significant snowfall? I don't recall that it snows that often there - stats show about 20 times a year with a total of only 40-50" of snow.

Average min cost of a single plowing in Mass/NH is $25. Times 20 that is $500/year.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
All due respect - screw all of those options. Go to a small engine/power equipment store, and buy an ariens, simplicity, or honda.

For the Ariens, make sure you get one with the Tecumsah engine - 7HP min for a 24 inch width, 9HP min for 24-30" width.

Tecumseh quit making engines in 2008.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
As Sho'nuff said, ethanol screws up small engines. We have a high percentage here in NJ, so it's a major issue for landscapers. I follow the recommendation of the small engine guy who works on my stuff. To winterize I leave the tank full, add a stabilizer (sta-bill or something like that), run it for a minute or two to get the juice into the lines, and then put it away for the winter. Has worked well for me so far.

I run with stabilized gasoline too and wondering if a carb cleaning is something I should be doing on a seasonal basis. Carbureted engines (especially those stored for long periods) tend to build up deposits even with the use of stabil. My Honda snowblower has a fuel cutoff and before I put it away at end of season, I'll run the engine and then close the fuel switch allowing the engine to drain the carb and the float bowl entirely. Your idea of filling the fuel tank to the top is a good idea as well since you don't leave air space for condensation to form.

I'm wondering if a separate carb cleaning step is necessary; the only thing stopping me from doing it is the work involved and my fear of the engine not running anymore after meddling with it :p

jaha2000

Jul 28, 2008
Tecumseh quit making engines in 2008.

yeah ariens from 08 to 13 have the B&S Snowtech. I have one, it works great.
Not sure what they are doing for a supplier now, looks like their own brand.
The rest of the thing is built like a tank, I put gas in it and change the oil every season and it works.
Has not been an issue clearing snow up to the top of the opening. I just busted some drifts down that we got from the storm this weekend.
Huge winter storm in MI this weekend. Total national coverage = 0. Time for the east coasters to toughen up.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Can you guys start linking me to specific Ariens models?

From my OP, you're saying model C (357cc) is truly an overkill? This is New England snow we're talking about.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Last edited:

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
yes metal chute is worth it

guess what gets really brittle when its cold - Plastic
the width is prob a lesser concern

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I wonder if 250cc is strong enough for NE bat crazy snow.

I wouldn't mind spending extra $200 for the 350cc (from 250cc), the model C of my OP.

I'd really like 'real world' experiences from you guys.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Not sure what particular one she has, but my grandmother has a big beast of a Toro. Hers has chains on the wheels which helps a lot with traction. She isn't very strong, but she has no problems walking behind it. My uncle lives with her now and so usually he handles the snow. They are in WI and have a big driveway and long walkway from garage to house (garage near road, house near lake, 100 feet or so of walkway between them)

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I honestly cant tell you the CC of our ariens, because its 28 years old, its a 8 HP 24-28" unit (cant remember) we used it for 15 years when we lived in Maine without issue and it used to clear a 1/4 mile long driveway frequently

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Is this Arien worth extra $100 vs my OP's model B?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-D...ing-921030/204266986?N=5yc1vZbxc5Z2ciZ1z0wwdx

versus

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Pow...-37772/203516985?N=5yc1vZbxc5Z1z0wwdxZ1z0uxk9

Both are 250cc with similar width (26" vs 28").

Is $100 extra worth it for all-metal chute and extra 2" width? The Toro one DOES have Briggs & Stratton engine, while Arien does not (its own Arien XA engine)

For the driveway you decribed above, those are both complete overkill.

This one will more than do the job:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-C...Snow-Blower-920021/205376710?N=5yc1vZbxc5Z2ci

Still overkill, but the compact 22" isn't showing on the site. With that small of a driveway, I'd be looking more for lighter weight, since you will be tuning around every 20 feet.

Or even this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sno-Tek-...920402/202222489?N=5yc1vZbxc5Z1z0wwdxZ1z0uxk9

Last edited:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
For the driveway you decribed above, those are both complete overkill.

This one will more than do the job:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-C...Snow-Blower-920021/205376710?N=5yc1vZbxc5Z2ci

Still overkill, but the compact 22" isn't showing on the site. With that small of a driveway, I'd be looking more for lighter weight, since you will be tuning around every 20 feet.

Or even this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sno-Tek-...920402/202222489?N=5yc1vZbxc5Z1z0wwdxZ1z0uxk9

Where do you live? I'm reading reviews of Ariens 250cc having a difficult time clearing heavy snow & truck-plowed banks. And here you are recommending 200cc and 250 is an overkill?

This is the kind of snow Boston got past weekend:
234D42C800000578-2838919-image-95_1416420445493.jpg

af47939d440d75da8ca135b21f9390e9.jpg

Last edited:

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Where do you live? I'm reading reviews of Ariens 250cc having a difficult time clearing heavy snow & truck-plowed banks. And here you are recommending 200cc and 250 is an overkill?

Northern Michigan. we get lots of snow. 125" to 145" annually.

It's more tan just the size of the motor. My previous 8hp MTD worked no where near as well as my current 6 hp Ariens (169cc Subaru).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSurp7yE2tw

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
Is $100 extra worth it for all-metal chute and extra 2" width? The Toro one DOES have Briggs & Stratton engine, while Arien does not (its own Arien XA engine)

The Ariens has a 14 in diameter auger while the toro has an 11 inch. Translates to more snowclearing height. Id get the Ariens.

IMO for $100 the answer is yes. The extra engine displacement means that the snowblower wont become bogged down in heavy snow. You feel/hear it when the engine begins slowing down when you take a big bite out of snow; more than it can handle. Bigger engine means you dont have to slow down as often and you can power through most loads; especially the stuff the street plows pack into the end of your driveway. That snow is very heavy, dense and wet.

As I said before, once you have a snowblower you will begin snowblowing areas you never had cleared before. What was once too much work with a shovel is now entirely possible with a snowblower. As I mentioned, I do all of our walkways and even clear a path for the mailman to access the mailbox. I clear a space out to my grill and where we keep the trash/recycling containers. Examine every space you would like to keep clear of snow and that is your expected load, not just the driveway. E.g. my next door neighbor snowblows a 20 x 50 foot section of her back yard lawn for the dog to run out in the morning and do its business. Are you going to shovel by hand all of the aforementioned examples after doing the driveway?

Start the snowblower up before you buy it and maneuver with it. The good models will have a differential between the driving wheels; though I would imagine this was seen as a luxury is probably a standard option now. That makes it maneuverable and quick to turn.

A metal chute is a plus and worth it for $100. I know some will disagree with me and say plastic is OK but my own experience shows otherwise. A replacement plastic chute will run you almost $100 for one replacement not to mention that avoiding the inconvenience of a chute breaking and leaving you to do the rest of the driveway by hand.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ariens-D...ing-921030/204266986?N=5yc1vZbxc5Z2ciZ1z0wwdx

versus

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Pow...-37772/203516985?N=5yc1vZbxc5Z1z0wwdxZ1z0uxk9

250CC correlates to just under 8HP (based on online converters) - Personally I think that is a little underpowered for a 26-28" wide blower. Especially if you are moving wet heavy snow (typical in New England). Think about it - the wider the "mouth" of the blower, the more snow you will potentially ask the impeller to throw. 6-8HP for a 24" would be more than adequate. But for a wider snowblower I would be looking for something in the 9HP (290CC) range. Anything less powerful and you are asking to be very annoyed . . . wither by having to go slowly or by the fact that your arm will hurt from having to restart it so much.

100 for the metal chute is definitely worth it. The chute is subject to quite a bit of force under cold conditions. Plastic + cold + stress = cracking.

I would look at the Ariens deluxe 28+ (with the 291CC engine) if you are going to go with a larger blower. If you get the 24" William posted to its base engine should work fine as long as you go reasonably slow (notice the pace of the operator in the video William linked) For a small driveway it would be fine. But it would take me literally all day to clear my (130 foot) driveway at that rate.

Speaking of restarting, absolutely DO get a blower that has an electric starter. It makes using it SO much easier. Getting a 7-10HP engine to turn over with a ripcord in 10-20 degree weather is NOT fun.

http://www.ariens.com/en-us/snow-blowers/deluxe-snow-blower

Last edited:

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007

This is the kind of snow Boston got past weekend:
234D42C800000578-2838919-image-95_1416420445493.jpg

af47939d440d75da8ca135b21f9390e9.jpg

To be fair - the snow Boston has been seeing this year is record breaking. Doubt we will see its like again for a loooooong time.

OP - I live in NH and have a 130 foot long driveway. I clear it easily with an Ariens 927LE, which is a 27" wide blower with a 9HP tecumseh snow king engine. Just this year it has eaten through one 3 foot snowfall, a 26" snowfall, and an 18 inch snowfall. It throws the light and fluffy stuff some 40 feet, which is proving to be a huge advantage with the kind of snow we are seeing. The wet and chunky stuff doesn;t fly as far, but it still goes 10-14 feet on average. Just a great machine.

If the 927LE was still sold I would absolutely tell you to get it. It rips through any type of snow easily and quickly. Only time it bogs down at all is when taking huge chunks out of the plowed side of the street. But that will happen to any blower. Unless you happen to have one that is mounted to a tractor.

Last edited:

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

versus

You're also getting a 5yr warranty on the gearbox (most important part) for the Ariens. Many smaller dealers might offer a 5yr warranty on the whole thing (mine did). The metal chute is absolutely worth it. Also, the Ariens is made in WI whole the Toro probably isn't.

While the XA isn't B&S, they are probably made in the same Chinese factory. You have to go bigger to get a USA made B&S.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
1. So this is your New England snow. They don't fvck around. I think I'll need something that doesn't work around either. 2 stage, and lots of horsepower/cc. The parents' have a big drive way, you can fit 3 cars side by side, and probably 1.5 cars 'long'.

No offense but that is not a big driveway. Certainly not when a snowblower is involved. You are talking maybe 10-11 passes with a 24 incher and a little extra time to do detail stuff.

Personally I would look for a 24" wide blower with the strongest motor available for that application. Ariens, Simplicity, or Honda, in order of price. Ariens Deluxe 24 or Platinum 24SHO. I would not go with the compact as the Engine is a bit underpowered for NE sludge.