Looking to buy: Teach me your ways about snow blowers / throwers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have a craftsman that was given to me a few years ago, works fine for the amount of snow we get in D.C. but it is starting to have issues with heavy wet snow which didn't used to be an issue for it. Not sure what I'm going to replace it with if it can't handle what little snow we get but I can't see spending 700-800 on one since we use it maybe 3 or 4 times a year for amounts that are typically under 5".

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I have a craftsman that was given to me a few years ago, works fine for the amount of snow we get in D.C. but it is starting to have issues with heavy wet snow which didn't used to be an issue for it. Not sure what I'm going to replace it with if it can't handle what little snow we get but I can't see spending 700-800 on one since we use it maybe 3 or 4 times a year for amounts that are typically under 5".

One of the drive belts might need tensioning.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This. Except I have the 24" with last year of the the B&S engines. That thing is a little beast.

...and I'd sell it to you if you were in WI. We just bought a new house with a 3-stall by 65 foot driveway. Bought a Deere lawn tractor with blower from my FIL for pennies. The Ariens has sat all winter long. No sense even starting it when I can clear everything in 15 minutes with the 44" JD blower. :D

Bought a 24" this year. Happy with it so far. I look forward to snow falls now so I can use it. :D

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I looked at Ariens too at the time, but they are still using metal shoes which I wanted to avoid.

I'm genuinely curious why is metal a bad thing? Those look fairly easy to replace though if you really wanted to. If rust is concern, then it would be an issue for the whole machine. You're probably best to store it in an unheated garage but I imagine they're designed to handle getting wet to some degree as not everyone may have a cold place to store it if their garage is heated.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Pretty sure the #1 thing you need to know about snowblowing is that peak hour for accomplishing the task is 4 AM.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Pretty sure the #1 thing you need to know about snowblowing is that peak hour for accomplishing the task is 4 AM.

I'm almost guilty of that. When I decide to go get a coffee or something at like 2am I'll shovel the driveway while I'm out and push the snow to the side, then debate if I should snow blow it into the yard. "just 1 quick pass". But I usually wait it out, as a courtesy.

The city snow removal passes at night and it's way louder so I really don't see the huge deal, but I don't want to piss anyone off so I don't do it too late. Typically I try to do it before 10pm. Some people sleep ridiculously light and wake up to everything.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I definitely think a snowblower is worth it if they have any kind of decent sized driveway. Boston might only get 44 inches historically but they have had 2 years in the last ten of 80+ and that does not include this season. Plus, if they are in the suburbs they typically get much more than Boston does, so that 44 inch figure is not really comparable.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I have a Toro 826. 8hp 2 stage thrower. It works great (get electric start!).

it was a little expensive but i have had toro machines that last for years (10+ years)

edit: Oh yeah my toro is roughly 10 years old. This year i had to have some work done to it (carb cleaning). Other then that it has ran like a champ and still looks new.

Last edited:

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
I'm genuinely curious why is metal a bad thing? Those look fairly easy to replace though if you really wanted to. If rust is concern, then it would be an issue for the whole machine. You're probably best to store it in an unheated garage but I imagine they're designed to handle getting wet to some degree as not everyone may have a cold place to store it if their garage is heated.

They leave white scrapes up and down the driveway.

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002

Im not aware of a snowblower that doesnt use metal skid plates under the auger ("shoes"). If you find plastic "shoes", be prepared to replace them often. All of the front end weight of the snowblower rides on those shoes and they are metal for durability reasons. I have an asphalt driveway and notice the scrapes too but they disappear soon enough.

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
How old are your folks? Do not get a beast that is heavier than they can comfortably handle.

[Sorry for the rambling, I'm out of coffee.]

A 208cc is probably fine for their needs. My driveway here in MA is fairly long [holds more than 8 cars end to end], wide, unpaved, and on an incline.

I've had or used 4 snow blowers over the last 30 years.

My 3rd one was a true POS. Craftsman 26" 8.5hp. Ran like crap, was too heavy, and had major engine issues. Shifting was difficult. Most likely made by Murray. I junked it after 2 miserable winters. Stay far, far away.

My first two were 24" 5hp MTDs with Tecumseh Snow King engines that lasted more than 12 years each, despite being abused and not well cared for [I was young & dumb].

My current model is a 208cc 24" MTD Yard Machine, not bad for $500 as I didn't have the $$ for an Ariens.

I have found that a 24" 208cc may be a bit slower than the heavier and wider models but is infinitely easier to handle and maneuver. It can take 2 to 3 hours to clear my circular driveway, as it takes 5 passes to clear the width just in the narrower parts. As a 5'3" female I'll take ease over breaking my back any time. Wind is currently whipping the 17"+ that fell overnight.

I've learned to always add stabilizer to my gas cans now to help prevent gumming up the carburetor.

Last edited:

preCRT

Platinum Member
Apr 12, 2000
My last 2 blowers came with electric start, never needed to use it.

Stock up on shear pins when you get the blower, you don't want to not have any when you need them and they sell out during winter.

The most useful thing is having a headlamp, it helps both to see what you are doing and more importantly, helps any motorists to help see the snow blower in poor conditions.

Last edited:

NetWareHead

THAT guy
Aug 10, 2002
This looks pretty sick for $1400, but I can't find any reviews on it anywhere:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEK-45-i...ower-45SDM15/205720534?N=5yc1vZbx9zZ5yc1vZ45o

Would be a good for the peak 4-am time.

Glad to know I'm following protocol. I was up and snowblowing this morning at 4:00 AM to get to work by 8:00

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
For that size driveway, an Ariens Compact 22 would work just fine. That's what I use on my 100' long driveway. It's 14' wide at the road and 28' wide at the garage, much larger than the OP's. Takes 15 minutes in light snow, 25 to 30 in heavy snow. Throws the snow 35' to 40' easily, biggest issue is not getting it in the neighbors driveway.

Too bad you can't still get them with the Subaru engine. I love mine, starts first pull every time. Not worth the time to plug in the electric start.

Last edited:

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
Lol, that scoopper isn't meant for lots of snow, that is mainly for a couple of inches max.
And just where do you think you are going to push the snow anyway ? You can't push it into the street, that is illegal in most areas. You can't push it to the side, once the stuff you pushed before hand piles up to more than a few inches.
Maybe if you live on a hill, you can make a nice snowball with it.

2-stage is what you want, but, some of these are still pretty heavy even if they are self-propelled. Dunno if that is an issue for your parents or not, and the same for the engagement levers. Some are much harder to hold down, so, you might want them to tag along to see if they can manage it.

The hell you say bro.

It ain't called a Yooper* Scooper for nothing. Been using em up there for years.

Got 18" two weeks ago here in the Detroit area. Took longer than normal (because it basically filled within its own footprint) but no problems. It just glides right up over whatever you've scooped previously. Pushed it to the yard. Have a giant 15' wide, 8' deep, 3-4' high hill now after a winters worth of snow. Kids love the ready made hill.

* excerpt: "Records of 390 inches (990 cm) of snow or more have been set in many communities in this area. The Keweenaw Peninsula averages more snowfall than almost anywhere in the United States&#8212;more than anywhere east of the Mississippi River and the most of all non-mountainous regions of the continental United States. Because of the howling storms across Lake Superior, which cause dramatic amounts of precipitation, it has been said that the lake-effect snow makes the Keweenaw Peninsula the snowiest place east of the Rockies. Herman averages 236 inches (600 cm) of snow every year. Lake-effect snow can cause blinding whiteouts in just minutes, and some storms can last for days. Hancock is found frequently on lists of the Snowiest Cities in America."

Last edited:

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Gotta have electric start and remote throw angle/height adjustment.

I have a single-stage and it does well enough for everything except the curb that gets built up at the foot of the driveway by the passing snow plow.

BTW, use only ISO EGD- or JASO FD-certified oil for a two-stroke snowblower.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Im not aware of a snowblower that doesnt use metal skid plates under the auger ("shoes"). If you find plastic "shoes", be prepared to replace them often. All of the front end weight of the snowblower rides on those shoes and they are metal for durability reasons. I have an asphalt driveway and notice the scrapes too but they disappear soon enough.

The new Cub Cadets I posted use composite shoes. It was the reason I bought it. They seem to be holding up just fine so far.

As you can see here, they have a good amount of vertical adjustment. They could be lowered several times as they wear if needed.

Last edited:

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
How old are your folks? Do not get a beast that is heavier than they can comfortably handle.

[Sorry for the rambling, I'm out of coffee.]

A 208cc is probably fine for their needs. My driveway here in MA is fairly long [holds more than 8 cars end to end], wide, unpaved, and on an incline.

I've had or used 4 snow blowers over the last 30 years.

My 3rd one was a true POS. Craftsman 26" 8.5hp. Ran like crap, was too heavy, and had major engine issues. Shifting was difficult. Most likely made by Murray. I junked it after 2 miserable winters. Stay far, far away.

My first two were 24" 5hp MTDs with Tecumseh Snow King engines that lasted more than 12 years each, despite being abused and not well cared for [I was young & dumb].

My current model is a 208cc 24" MTD Yard Machine, not bad for $500 as I didn't have the $$ for an Ariens.

I have found that a 24" 208cc may be a bit slower than the heavier and wider models but is infinitely easier to handle and maneuver. It can take 2 to 3 hours to clear my circular driveway, as it takes 5 passes to clear the width just in the narrower parts. As a 5'3" female I'll take ease over breaking my back any time. Wind is currently whipping the 17"+ that fell overnight.

I've learned to always add stabilizer to my gas cans now to help prevent gumming up the carburetor.

This is good advice. My 24" model weighs almost a couple hundred pounds less than my previous 30" model. It is much easier to operate and maneuver. Look up the weight, and aim for 250 pounds.

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Option A, the Power Smart from Amazon, does not impress me. I am not familiar with that brand, and I have never heard of the engine maker. The discharge chute appears to be plastic, not nearly as durable as steel. The direction hood at the top of the chute also is plastic, and can only be adjusted up or down by hand; remotely adjustable is more convenient.

The Toro unit (Option B) from Home Depot has better features, including a steel discharge chute and remotely adjustable top hood. More importantly, it is made by a well-known manufacturer using a well-known and reliable engine from Briggs & Stratton. The size and power of this unit should be fine for the space you describe. In fact, in my experience there is a problem with very large units in medium-sized spaces: they are heavy and hard to manoever in tight spaces. I have an Ariens model about this size with a B&S engine, and it's great. I clear much more space with it' My parking space is off the back lane, so after clearing that space, I clear about 250 feet or more of back lane to get to the end of the block. Last snowfall was about 8" and it took me under 3 hours to do all that plus my pathways around the house.

(I'm back after a delay.)
Option C is a larger "three-stage" unit. I don't see any advantage to the extra auger disk out in front, and again this is a manufacturer I don't know. It is also MUCH more expensive.

By the way, I've found "snow thrower" is used for smaller machines, like some electric units I have used in the past. "Blower" is used for the type of machines we're talking about here. Single- or double-stage is not the distinction, although there is a correlation: many single-stage units are smaller with less capacity.

Last edited:

Dee67

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2000
what was said about plastic being no good and get lets of shear pins while you can - SOLID advice.

Back about 16 years ago, bought a Craftsman - it was $799 on sale, don't remember any dimensions. Had electric start, NEVER needed it, a couple primes (push of a squishy bulb) and choke and thing started RIGHT up, regardless of temperature or if it was sitting 3 seasons waiting in the dirty garage.

The chute was made of plastic. GRRRRRR. this was the ONLY issue I ever had in 14 years of owning that home and machine. Went through a number of chutes and really tested my MAcGyvering skills. Nothing quite like shooting icy, wet snow STRAIGHT up in the air onto yourself because the chute pops right off.

I used to get cans of silicone spray, spray the inside of the chute, the blades and anything that moved and/or came into contact with snow to help everything flow. Cheap insurance? I don't know. Seemed smart.

Have your Dad (assuming he'd do the work) go with you and see if he has any issue spinning it around a few times. Though you CAN reasonably turn around with the self drive, when you're out in the cold, it quickly becomes the way to just man handle it around for passes. If he's an older guy, just have someone plow for them. Though it is easier, it is still work.

Best of luck finding something that serves your folks well.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

How would that happen? Mine just slides on the hard snow while the blower picks up the new/soft snow. You're not suppose to scrape right down to the drive way. I guess I can see it being an issue for the first snow fall of the year when there is not a base of hard packed snow established though.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
How would that happen? Mine just slides on the hard snow while the blower picks up the new/soft snow. You're not suppose to scrape right down to the drive way. I guess I can see it being an issue for the first snow fall of the year when there is not a base of hard packed snow established though.

I never scraped down to the driveway. The rear scraper bar didn't touch the ground, and some seasons I would take it off. The entire front weight of a 400 something pound snow blower was on the new metal shoes. They would leave white lines up and down the asphalt driveway.