Looking to buy a powerbook...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

addragyn

Golden Member
Sep 21, 2000
UglyCassanova, and other new OS X users, if you want to know what processes run OS X, how it boots and what yu do with it all buy, Running Mac OS X Panther.

This book will give you a handle on OS X because you'll know how and why. Cool stuff - one of the best OS books I've seen.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Nice thread.

May get a PB sometime in the future but I'd like to play some games even though I don't play much in the way of games on my windows pc :p

I just want a dam pc that is the same thickness as a PB though :p. I have no issues with my Windows 2000 setup on my pc or laptop. Sweet 12" Sony laptop :D. 1.67kg but no optical drive but I can live with that.

Koing

Ciber

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Koing
Nice thread.

May get a PB sometime in the future but I'd like to play some games even though I don't play much in the way of games on my windows pc :p

I just want a dam pc that is the same thickness as a PB though :p. I have no issues with my Windows 2000 setup on my pc or laptop. Sweet 12" Sony laptop :D. 1.67kg but no optical drive but I can live with that.

Koing

My 12" Powerbook plays Call of duty, UT2k4, and Halo just fine once i tone down the settings a bit.

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Alright. I'm going to give Apple a couple thousand dollars of money tonight. Any last thoughts?

frazzled

Dec 7, 1999
Congrats on your decision....very cool to just walk into the Apple Store and buy it. I always decide I want some BTO config so have to go mail-order.

Which store did you go to? The flagship in SOHO is beautiful.

I'm planning on surprising my teenage daughter with a trip to the SOHO store in July .... and let her take home a brand-new iBook. Already looking forward to it.

Let us know what you think about your 15" ....my 17" PB is spectacular.

regards,

JT

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
I've been to the SoHo store but I ordered it online. I wanted to config it. (I wanted the backlit keyboard on the 1.33 and the bigger/faster HD. i ordered only 256 of RAM cause I bought a 512 stick from Crucial that is sitting here waiting to be installed.

The Apple site says ships on or before the 18th which is Friday. I have 2 day shipping, so, if it ships by Thursday, I might be able to get it by Saturday.

And I will definitly let you guys know how using the powerbook (and using a Mac regularly for the first time in almost a decade) is.

P.S. - I hope transfering gigs of music and West Wing eps without a CD burner goes alright.

Shivatron

Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by: NakaNaka
Alright. I'm going to give Apple a couple thousand dollars of money tonight. Any last thoughts?

Did you get an Airport Express? I think that they are the coolest thing since sliced bread. Seriously considering getting one when they meet "regulatory approval" here in Canada.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Atticu5

Did you get an Airport Express? I think that they are the coolest thing since sliced bread. Seriously considering getting one when they meet "regulatory approval" here in Canada.

I agree! Wireless internet has made me incredibly lazy though, because now all I do is sit in the hammock and surf the net. :p

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
I didn't get the Airport Express. Since I'll be spending most of the year away from home (at college) I was wondering if it was worth it.

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Damn. They said shipping on or before tomorrow when I ordered it Monday. Hasn't shipped yet. Too bad. This means I might not get it till Monday. :(

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Friday night and it still hasn't shipped though it was supposed to ship today. Hope everything is okay.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Friday night and it still hasn't shipped though it was supposed to ship today. Hope everything is okay.

Don't worry, mine took a while too. :p

frazzled

Dec 7, 1999
I've ordered two in the past 6 months and they both shipped on a Saturday...they're fun to track across the Pacific.

I bet you'll have it by Monday or Tuesday, lots to look forward to!

JT

frazzled

Dec 7, 1999
Ouch!

Kind of interesting given that the initial big PB buying spree (after the April bump) should be over by now. Probably still catching up.

FWIW, same thing going on with the Powermacs, I was toying with picking up one of the refurb Dual 2.0 G5s ($1999 !), but they keep disappearing and the delivery dates are stretching way into July. Decided I might as well wait for the new Dual 2.5s at that rate.

Let us know what you think when the new PB arrives.

regards,

JT

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
ok guys im on the poerbook and im loving it. but i have a question. expose works when i set the corners to do certain things. but F9 and F10 dont work for expose (just F11) .. it displays some weird faded gray thing. whats up with that?

also in safari - how do i get the little drop down box with the websites ive typed in (the last 20 or so)

ALSO - im plugged into the router but i dont know how to access the files off my windows PC connected to the same rouiter. ive never done networking. what do i need to enable on the windows pc?

thanks. im sure i will have more questions later,

-phil

EvanAdams

Nov 7, 2003
you did not get airport express because you are using it at college? College is the one place I think it is needed. My campus let you sit on the grass in the quad and get wifi (UC Davis).

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: supafly
Airport Express doesn't ship till mid July anyway.

Oh? I thought I had it right now. :p

NakaNaka - I have no idea about networking, I'm having a little trouble with it at the moment anywho. :eek:
I'll pull out the powerbook later and see about the first two though.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
If you try to order it from their website it does say that it ships mid July...

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: supafly
If you try to order it from their website it does say that it ships mid July...

Oh, ok. Misunderstanding, I thought you meant that the Airport Extreme's were going to be first released in July, so I looked at mine and said well wtf is this? :p

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
ok guys im on the poerbook and im loving it. but i have a question. expose works when i set the corners to do certain things. but F9 and F10 dont work for expose (just F11) .. it displays some weird faded gray thing. whats up with that?

also in safari - how do i get the little drop down box with the websites ive typed in (the last 20 or so)

ALSO - im plugged into the router but i dont know how to access the files off my windows PC connected to the same rouiter. ive never done networking. what do i need to enable on the windows pc?

thanks. im sure i will have more questions later,

-phil

Ok, open your system preferences up and click Expose. All will be solved. For Safari, if you are talking about the dropdown box like IE has, I'm not sure that it has that. It does have autocomplete though, but I know that's not the same thing. IE is on there, so no worries you can use that if you like. As far as the networking thing goes, I have no idea. I have a bad habit of fsking up anything and everything related to a network that I come across. :p

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
I figured out the Expose. What was happening is that I've got a backlit keyboard so F9 and F10 were being used for lighting for the keyboard so Expose became Fn+F9. I decided just to use hot corners for Expose.

And yeah, auto complete isnt the same but I'm just book marking my favorite pages and that's working out well. I really like safari.

As for networking, I figured it out. Sort of. I can't see my windows PC from my Mac but I can see the mac from the PC so I can just drag and drop on the PC and it all works out.

I've had it just under 48 hours now and I definitly consider this the best computer purchase I've ever made.