Question Looking for very small mini-itx case

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I'm looking for a very small mini-itx case, somewhere between NUC and NAS. Something like the Supermicro SC721TQ-250B but smaller (D 11" x W 8.27" x H 9.45" ) . Ideally also with integrated power supply. If not it must be even smaller. All the cases I find are simply too big, even bigger (and not much cheaper) than this supermicro one as they seamed geared towards gamers.

It doesn't need to fit a GPU. No optical drive. No hotswap. No fancy front io needed. The case can be "deeper than the supermicro one but then should be much less wide)

Requirements:

- 2x3.5" slots (ideally also 1 or more 2.5" for ssd)
- mini-itx

Does anyone know a case like that?

misuspita

Jul 15, 2006
I built a couple of months ago a system with Streacom FC8. It's also fanless. Might worth a look. Or look at FC7, which is active, not passive

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
don't get one with built in power supply unless were talking about EVGA hadron.

Edit: Ack i see you want smaller..

Silverstone has some really small cases.

Coolermaster also:

There is also Thermaltake.

But is there a reason why it has to be that small?
If it is, it is probably a better idea to go some form of prebuilt like a ASRock ITX Mini:

They come in both intel and Ryzen.

Last edited:

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
But is there a reason why it has to be that small?

Space. Should be a second machine for ETH-staking. And since I'm paranoid I want something that can deal with ECC which basically rules out most NUCs or other prebuilt. (and if staking turns out too difficult or risky, I at least want to be able to reuse it for a NAS built hence the 2x3.5 drives requirement)

On top of that, hard to believe for Americans I assume, Amazon does not exist in my country and does not deliver (except books in non-local languages from the good old days). Electronics? Nope. Out of luck. So also a bit limited what I can get.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Difficult since i assume you already went though supermicro's and hp's microserver lineup.
ECC + ITX or smaller, is difficult / expensive.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Difficult since i assume you already went though supermicro's and hp's microserver lineup.
ECC + ITX or smaller, is difficult / expensive.

Yeah HPE MicroServer doesn't support nvme and is quiet large + external PSU and the prebuilt supermicro stuff is all still based on Xeon-D (which might actual be too slow due to low clocks and I don't need the 10GB lan).

Many actual just use an intel nuc but if you get a bit flip at just the wrong time, byebye 1 ETH (=$3000 right now).

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I mean, I get the space thing but... isn't the reliability more important? Since you can also lose eth for failure to validate, etc. wouldn't a larger chassis that allows for more standard components and cooler operation trump the hard size requirements?

I am not trying to be a jerk, just saying if you are putting a risk mitigation as a hard requirement for me size would fall to the wayside. Especially if 32 eth are at "stake" - haha.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I mean, I get the space thing but... isn't the reliability more important? Since you can also lose eth for failure to validate, etc. wouldn't a larger chassis that allows for more standard components and cooler operation trump the hard size requirements?

I am not trying to be a jerk, just saying if you are putting a risk mitigation as a hard requirement for me size would fall to the wayside. Especially if 32 eth are at "stake" - haha.

Well current trend/recommendations seem to be Intel NUCs which I'm hesitant to use for lack of ecc and suspected cooling issues due to 24/7 operation. But I get why it's done. Hard to get anything small form factor with ecc.

Worst thing that can happen in actual usage is that you get slashed (= -1 ETH) and then banned. SO you don't loose all of it.

As of my case search I found there is a Intel NUC with xeon but it's actually huge given that it doesn't support any 2.5" or 3.5" bays (for my back-up plan of being able to use it as a NAS).

I've found however this case which seems to suit my need pretty well. Only downside here is the FlexATX power supply requirement.

But my next problem is a motherboard. Will open new thread in that category.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Well current trend/recommendations seem to be Intel NUCs which I'm hesitant to use for lack of ecc and suspected cooling issues due to 24/7 operation. But I get why it's done. Hard to get anything small form factor with ecc.

well the thing about NUC's is you can run them passive with a AKASA passive case.

I have a NUC8 in Turing case, which does an excellent job at keeping the entire thing acceptable as a HTPC and without any noise.
But if i was gonna do load applications on it, i think i would still want a tiny fan up against it.