• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Looking for very small mini-itx case

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I'm looking for a very small mini-itx case, somewhere between NUC and NAS. Something like the Supermicro SC721TQ-250B but smaller (D 11" x W 8.27" x H 9.45" ) . Ideally also with integrated power supply. If not it must be even smaller. All the cases I find are simply too big, even bigger (and not much cheaper) than this supermicro one as they seamed geared towards gamers.

It doesn't need to fit a GPU. No optical drive. No hotswap. No fancy front io needed. The case can be "deeper than the supermicro one but then should be much less wide)

Requirements:

- 2x3.5" slots (ideally also 1 or more 2.5" for ssd)
- mini-itx

Does anyone know a case like that?

misuspita

Jul 15, 2006
I built a couple of months ago a system with Streacom FC8. It's also fanless. Might worth a look. Or look at FC7, which is active, not passive

aigomorla

Cases and Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
don't get one with built in power supply unless were talking about EVGA hadron.

Edit: Ack i see you want smaller..

Silverstone has some really small cases.

Coolermaster also:

There is also Thermaltake.

But is there a reason why it has to be that small?
If it is, it is probably a better idea to go some form of prebuilt like a ASRock ITX Mini:

They come in both intel and Ryzen.

Last edited:

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
But is there a reason why it has to be that small?
Space. Should be a second machine for ETH-staking. And since I'm paranoid I want something that can deal with ECC which basically rules out most NUCs or other prebuilt. (and if staking turns out too difficult or risky, I at least want to be able to reuse it for a NAS built hence the 2x3.5 drives requirement)

On top of that, hard to believe for Americans I assume, Amazon does not exist in my country and does not deliver (except books in non-local languages from the good old days). Electronics? Nope. Out of luck. So also a bit limited what I can get.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Difficult since i assume you already went though supermicro's and hp's microserver lineup.
ECC + ITX or smaller, is difficult / expensive.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Difficult since i assume you already went though supermicro's and hp's microserver lineup.
ECC + ITX or smaller, is difficult / expensive.
Yeah HPE MicroServer doesn't support nvme and is quiet large + external PSU and the prebuilt supermicro stuff is all still based on Xeon-D (which might actual be too slow due to low clocks and I don't need the 10GB lan).

Many actual just use an intel nuc but if you get a bit flip at just the wrong time, byebye 1 ETH (=$3000 right now).

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I mean, I get the space thing but... isn't the reliability more important? Since you can also lose eth for failure to validate, etc. wouldn't a larger chassis that allows for more standard components and cooler operation trump the hard size requirements?

I am not trying to be a jerk, just saying if you are putting a risk mitigation as a hard requirement for me size would fall to the wayside. Especially if 32 eth are at "stake" - haha.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I mean, I get the space thing but... isn't the reliability more important? Since you can also lose eth for failure to validate, etc. wouldn't a larger chassis that allows for more standard components and cooler operation trump the hard size requirements?

I am not trying to be a jerk, just saying if you are putting a risk mitigation as a hard requirement for me size would fall to the wayside. Especially if 32 eth are at "stake" - haha.
Well current trend/recommendations seem to be Intel NUCs which I'm hesitant to use for lack of ecc and suspected cooling issues due to 24/7 operation. But I get why it's done. Hard to get anything small form factor with ecc.

Worst thing that can happen in actual usage is that you get slashed (= -1 ETH) and then banned. SO you don't loose all of it.

As of my case search I found there is a Intel NUC with xeon but it's actually huge given that it doesn't support any 2.5" or 3.5" bays (for my back-up plan of being able to use it as a NAS).

I've found however this case which seems to suit my need pretty well. Only downside here is the FlexATX power supply requirement.

But my next problem is a motherboard. Will open new thread in that category.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Well current trend/recommendations seem to be Intel NUCs which I'm hesitant to use for lack of ecc and suspected cooling issues due to 24/7 operation. But I get why it's done. Hard to get anything small form factor with ecc.
well the thing about NUC's is you can run them passive with a AKASA passive case.

I have a NUC8 in Turing case, which does an excellent job at keeping the entire thing acceptable as a HTPC and without any noise.
But if i was gonna do load applications on it, i think i would still want a tiny fan up against it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY