Looking for some fast paced, UNREALISTIC single player FPS games like Quake 2

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
I really like the gameplay style of Quake 2. It's basically just a better Quake 1 with somewhat of a story and better "flow" from map to map. It's a shame that Quake 3 never had a campaign. Oh well. Quake 4 is too Doom-like. I'll pass.

So what other games play kinda like Quake 2? That is, completely unrealistic, fast paced, and maybe even a little bit ridiculous? I'll take any graphics at the level of Quake 1 or better, so basically anything.

For those not in the know, here's a video showing off some Quake 2 gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4_uGTF-oJc

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I definitely agree with Painkiller and Borderlands 2. The first Borderlands is good too, but BL2 is just a mountain better that overshadows the original. As for Painkiller, the first is excellent and the expansion pack Battle out of Hell is also good, but the others... not so much.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Painkiller is an awesome old school game with hordes of enemies, Serious Sam 3 was very much the same with larger environments and lots of humour to boot.

I actually really liked Hard Reset which was expanded for free not long ago, it's a sort of dystopian future where you fight hordes of robots, again a very old school kinda shoot em up.

ROTT was a brilliant game back in the day, Ive not grabbed the remake yet, does anyone know how good that is? It looks OK from the videos I've seen.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Painkiller A great game
Halo 1
Unreal 1 was excellent, Unreal 2 not too bad
Crysis 1
FEAR 1
Rage? Have not played it, so not sure

Aug 11, 2008
Another vote for Borderlands 1 and 2. I actually thought the first game was more single player friendly than the second, but overall the second is better done and has more replay ability.

The series has a bad rep now, but I would recommend the Call of Duty games up to and including COD 4 MW as well, especially the first game.

Well, I forgot about the unrealistic part, cod does not fit I guess, but the early games were definitely worth playing.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
Rage would be good. Crysis? I dunno, its stealth component is heavy. Although apparently rage has a racing component in the center of it you have to do to pass through the game.

cleggholdfast

Oct 30, 2012
Despite your reservations, I would recommend giving Quake 4 a whirl. I preferred it much more to Doom 3. Definitely a natural progression from Quake 2 (story-wise, at least) and it is much more action-oriented than Doom 3. Has a couple of mech/hovercraft-type levels mixed in for good measure. Never understood the hate Quake 4 received from the gaming press.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Serious Sam games

Hard Reset (a futuristic fps with a walk/kill/pick up/kill/find secret/kill/kill/kill/kill gameplay)

edit: well... Dankk said the 2 games i was recommending... although i explained the gameplay of hard reset ;)

robvp

Aug 7, 2013

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Am I the only person who thinks quake 1 is better than all of the sequels? The dark gloomy feel, the moans of the skeleton zombies, the nailgun and mine/bomb gun all make the game super fun. Plus, rocket jumps!

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Am I the only person who thinks quake 1 is better than all of the sequels? The dark gloomy feel, the moans of the skeleton zombies, the nailgun and mine/bomb gun all make the game super fun. Plus, rocket jumps!

You aren't the only one.

Quake 1 = masterpiece
Quake 2 = really great
Quake 3 = shite
Quake 4 = meh