Looking for some fast paced, UNREALISTIC single player FPS games like Quake 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cleggholdfast

Oct 30, 2012
Am I the only person who thinks quake 1 is better than all of the sequels? The dark gloomy feel, the moans of the skeleton zombies, the nailgun and mine/bomb gun all make the game super fun. Plus, rocket jumps!

Quake 1 is EASILY my favorite of the series, as well. I rank it up there with my all-time top FPS games. I actually just played some single player the other day – I use the DarkPlaces mod but I don’t ramp up the GFX too much – I like to keep some of the old school look intact. I seem to play through Duke 3D and Q1 every year or so. The medieval/future setting of Q1 is truly a thing of beauty.
Are the two add-ons for Quake 1 worth a look? If so, I may get them on Steam during a sale (realized I just missed QuakeCon sale).

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
Serious Sam BFE. I love all the Serious Sam games and highly recommend the newest. They remade the first couple of them and named them Serious Sam HD so pick those up as well. They are regular price on Steam right now and can be found on sale for much less. Ignore the 72 rating on BFE, that game is a freaking blast.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I came back to this thread to recommend Hard Reset....but Dan and other beat me to it.

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
OK guys, I got Borderlands 2 from a friend who bought it on sale on Steam. We'll see how it goes! :)

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
OK guys, I got Borderlands 2 from a friend who bought it on sale on Steam. We'll see how it goes! :)

I was personally surprised by all the Borderlands 2 recommendations. It is a great game, and definitely better than the first, but I wouldn't exactly consider it fast paced on the level of Quake or RotT. Even if you ignore all the side missions (which is hard to do) it can be a bit slow with the "collect x" missions. They did improve the fast travel, and when there are firefights, it gets real intense.

Good luck with the game, and there is quite a bit of DLC for it now.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Are you familiar with Warsow?

http://www.warsow.net/

It's supposed to be super fast paced. When I was playing Quake 2, one of the best Q2 players at that time started playing Warsow because it was like Q2 on crack, essentially.

Last edited:

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Are you familiar with Warsow?

http://www.warsow.net/

It's supposed to be super fast paced. When I was playing Quake 2, one of the best Q2 players at that time started playing Warsow because it was like Q2 on crack, essentially.

Not a single player game, but I'm still very glad you mentioned this! No, I didn't know about it. I'll definitely check it out - looks like my kind of game!

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
You aren't the only one.

Quake 1 = masterpiece
Quake 2 = really great
Quake 3 = shite
Quake 4 = meh

i politely dissent

q1 = masterpiece
q2 = toy guns
q3 = excellent multiplayer game
q4 = redundant from the day it was released

OP - i'd give my vote to Hard Reset; try to ignore the foggy story, that game is a lot of fun and visually impressive.

I also liked Singularity; but that might be a tad too realistic.

Last edited:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Hard Reset for sure,have played thru this game i swear about 10 times already and it doesn't get boring for me.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Bulletstorm is amazing... Played through it recently and had a blast
They took the old shoot em up stuff and added a modern feel to it, its a perfect mix
I love how you can use the leash/kicks and how the game really rewards you for original/skillful kills etc

Its also one of the best looking games out there, showing what the UE3 can do (not that anyone doesnt know already)

Hoping for a sequel

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
Hard Reset for sure! Really dug that game.

and original unreal if you haven't ever played. one of my favorite FPS of all time

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I agree, definitely play unreal if you haven't. Also, try brutal doom, its tons of fun.

My favorite quake was probably quake 2, not including ETQW, which is kinda different.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
i politely dissent

q1 = masterpiece
q2 = toy guns
q3 = excellent multiplayer game
q4 = redundant from the day it was released

OP - i'd give my vote to Hard Reset; try to ignore the foggy story, that game is a lot of fun and visually impressive.

I also liked Singularity; but that might be a tad too realistic.

Just to add my two cents re: Q3...

To this day, whenever I need the equivalent of a caffeine shot (without all the stomach trouble that comes with it), I play a short game of Quake 3, "The Longest Yard", at high difficulty. No matter how sleepy I am, the adrenaline will make me wide awake within a couple of minutes. :D