Looking for games with REALLY good story lines.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Both Deus Ex and Mafia have been mentioned a few times, and I agree with both of those. The Marathon Trilogy (which is free, btw) is pretty hard to beat in terms of story. It's virtually all monologue, as you learn it by reading it through various computer terminals in the game, but what the story lacks in interactivity it makes up for in detail.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: MajorMullet
Indigo Prophecy kept me interested most of the way through

It's too bad that adventure games such as that don't get too much attention. some of them have great story lines and presentation. I suppose the weaker game play turns off most gamers.

You posted this in the PC section, but console RPGs tend to be very story driven, in fact usually more so than their PC counterparts (hence the "linearity" criticisms). If you can stomach the severely dated graphics, check out some of the classics such as xenogears (highly recommended), the final fantasy series, chrono trigger / cross etc. for newer ones, Folklore (PS3) is great.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Apart from Deus Ex, Freespace and some other stuff already mentioned, I think the best computer game plots I've seen are in Mission Critical and Case of the Rose Tattoo. They're adventure games from the mid 90s era and need SB16 support, but run fine in Dosbox or Virtual PC. They're among the newer 2D games, so they don't look too bad by today's standards either.

Originally posted by: dighn
Indigo Prophecy kept me interested most of the way through

It's too bad that adventure games such as that don't get too much attention. some of them have great story lines and presentation. I suppose the weaker game play turns off most gamers.

They actually can potentially have interesting gameplay, in the sense that they make you think about what the essential properties of various objects are and how they can be used to solve puzzles. It can be quite satisfying to solve the puzzles by thinking through them like this. I've only played a handful of games that really manage to get this right though. Many are either like interactive novels that lead you through everything or, at the other extreme, have obscure puzzles that just require lots of trial and error and for which the solutions don't make much sense.

Among the two games I mentioned earlier, MC is on the easy side but still has some interesting puzzles (and a cool RTS minigame), while the latter is basically the interactive novel type of game.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Kotor 1+2
HL 2
Stalker
Starcraft + Brood War

Those are some of the best story lines for me.

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Perry404
Originally posted by: SunnyD
The same-old same-old isn't doing it for me anymore. MMO's don't have any real story line, just halfassed ones to push you along a quest line for 5 or 6 steps (Dark Age of Camelot actually had decent ones). Diablo had a great story line, until you beat it once. FPS's are really just mind-numbing twitch-fests...

I'm looking for a game with a REAL story line. Suggestions?

Does it have to be new?
Myth II Soulblighter was absolutely amazing. Imo playing it was as fun as the LOTR books or the movies. Never seen anything like it. The original halflife was fantastic but didn't touch Myth II. It's like you're playing a movie.

I still have it. Never finished it. I don't remember it having a story that blew my mind like HL did.

AntiFreze

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2007
Indigo Prophecy kept me interested most of the way through, though the ending could have been better.
Another vote for KOTOR as well. And Bioshock.

I agree. They had me until the end. Still a great game though.

AntiFreze

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2007
Originally posted by: Creig
Originally posted by: Canai
Half Life 1/2

Was that the prequel to Half Life 1?

j/k :)

it was the events leading up to the disaster. short game - almost a tech demo. But you could get soda and destroy someone's lunch.

mmmbrains

Jan 16, 2008
Great thread so far, needs more classic LucasArts games:
Monkey Island series
Sam & Max: Hit the Road (the original one)
The Dig

Maasracer

Aug 2, 2002
A couple of y'all mentioned Grim Fandango... +1 from me.

No One Lives Forever 1 & 2. The underwater base lever from NOLF2 popped into my head the moment I first read about Bioshock over a year ago - atmosphere only.

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
Loom

Best part is where you switch outfits with that kid and he gets eaten by a vulture or other large bird, then comes back to haunt you.

arredondo

Sep 17, 2004
Text adventures were the ultimate in quality storyline games (most of the best ones were from Infocom)...

- Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a triple-AAA game for the hilarious puzzles and storyline
- Leather Godesses of Phobos was pretty cool as well

There are more, but those were the two I liked the most when I was a kid.