Looking for an rpg / adventure with a great story

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
XCOM is another game that will really draw you in, although it is more of a strategy game, and not an RPG or Adventure game.

I am kind of on the fence on this one. On the one hand, Xcom really isn't an RPG of any kind. And the story, although good, wasn't GREAT (IMHO). Certainly it isn't "Song of Ice and Fire". But good for the type of game it is.

On the other hand, I actually find myself rooting for my individual soldiers and actually ascribing personalities to them on missions. X would take this type of stance where Y might be different. I remember where one of my Cols needed to take a bunch of rookies on a mission because my A-Team was all out of action for one reason or another. I remember thinking that she was freaking out about the situation. And was very protective of the squad, trying to keep everyone alive. It was actually an interesting RPG moment for me.

But yeah, Xcom is a great game. If the OP is open to a more Strategy driven game. But then if s/he is, then Add Temple of Elemental Evil to the list. Not a GREAT story, but fun and an RPG with heavy strategy elements.

I also second the NWN1-2 vote. Excellent games. And at least the NWN2 community is still in full force. for more RPG style gaming anyway.