Looking for an rpg / adventure with a great story

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Fellow members, I need your help, I'm in a slump here! I've spent the last 3 months fixing up, painting, and furnishing my new home. I'm tapped out and I'd like to escape reality for a bit with a good rpg / adventure game. Problem is, I've beaten TW 1&2, Dragon Age, ME 1/2/3, and Deus Ex. I picked up the walking dead last week when it was on sale but the story didn't really pull me in....so here I am.....

what's out there?

edit: I've never played Skyrim, and 'm waiting for steam's Xmas sale to pick it up. But if you think it's worth paying the current price let me know. Also, I noticed they releases the Viking game for the PC this year (a console adventure from a few years back) with PC centric enhancements. Anyone try this? steam link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/211160/

Last edited:

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
You could probably pick up Morrowind and Oblivion dirt cheap to play right now and then get Skyrim when it goes on sale.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
baldur's gate 1/2, planescape: torment.

old school, but infinitely better stories that DA, ME 1/2/3.

did you play DE1 or DE:HR? DE:1 has better story/rpg elements.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Definitely Divinity 2. Great RPG with a unique flavor to it. It's awesome, refreshing and just great.

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
baldur's gate 1/2, planescape: torment.

old school, but infinitely better stories that DA, ME 1/2/3.

did you play DE1 or DE:HR? DE:1 has better story/rpg elements.

yup, I played all of the DE games back in the day! Those were the good ol days

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
steam has a "developers cut" edition for $19, is that the one to get?

Yep it is!
It's one of those few games I bought that I enjoyed like in the old days where I could sit an entire day to play a game.

It's that good IMO.

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Yep it is!
It's one of those few games I bought that I enjoyed like in the old days where I could sit an entire day to play a game.

It's that good IMO.

Reading up about it now, seems interesting, I'll give it a shot for $19! Thanks for the reco!

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Maybe Wizardry 6 and 7 and the Might and Magic Xeen games. Good deep old-school RPGs with strong stories.

Aug 11, 2008
Just noticed you didn't mention any of the fallout games. Played them?

Many people love the Fallout games, but personally I could never get into them, and could never seem to level up enough to keep from getting killed constantly.

I would also recommend Divinity 2. I have played through twice, and am thinking about a third playthrough since I just got a new comp and could turn up the graphics.

Other games that I would recommend that no one has suggested would be Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, and my personal favorite KOTOR.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Maybe Wizardry 6 and 7 and the Might and Magic Xeen games. Good deep old-school RPGs with strong stories.

Wizardy 6 (Bane) is my favorite game of all time. Good story and fun as hell. Too bad the market for party based RPGs is so small now. Would love to see a remake.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Divinity 2 really is hugely underrated. I don't understand how it is so overlooked. Quality game. One of the best rpg's in years if you get over the first couple of hours, which is a bit slow.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Another vote for the witcher. The first one starts out slowly and has an odd fighting style, the second is a big improvement but might not understand what's going on if you start there.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
If you can handle the outdated graphics then PS:T and the BG series are absolute musts. They remain the absolute pinnacle of computer RPGs to many people, myself included.

There are also mods out for the BG series that allow you to play 1 within 2's updated engine.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
fallout 3? new vegas?
last remnant (im trying to play this one but im feeling it a bit weird...its a JRPG)
i heard that TO THE MOON is pretty nice

Witcher 1 and, specially, 2 are known to be great

if you like more action based rpgs, skyrim is good, but the RPG elements are lackluster, unless you go deep into finding mods that make your experience more RPGish

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
WTF people, easily The Witcher 2. One of the best RPGs that came out in the past decade. If you're looking for a cool story, this is it.