Looking for an rpg / adventure with a great story

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 11, 2008
Some relatively older classics:

Never winter nights 2

Gothic 3
Gothic 4

And the new ravaged

Are you talking about Arcania:Gothic 4? If so, it was a good game up to the end, but the ending is right up there with ME3 and KOTOR 2 as the most disappointing of all time.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Baldur's Gate Extended edition is supposed to be out later this month. Not sure how much of an update it will be, but it is someplace to start. Or, if you don't want to wait, the Classic BG series as a whole is an EPIC fantasy RPG and still worth playing today.

Also, I would highly recommend:

Fallout 1-2 (Excellent classic RPG)
Fallout 3 + New Vegas
Temple of Elemental Evil (with the CO8 patch)
Knights of the Old Republic 1-2 (the games, not the MMO)
Legend of Grimlock
Neverwinter Nights 1-2 + Persistent worlds and Custom Mods
Planescape: Torment
Arcanum
Icewind Dale 1-2

Any or all of the above should run relatively cheap and will definitely give you HOURS and HOURS of excellent RPG Goodness.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
SWTOR is on F2P soon and has a great story.

I recommend Skyrim at whatever price

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
You could try a couple of Jeff's newer games:
avernum
avadon
-
They are nice and long and have a story. Demos available...

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
I see a lot of first-person recommendations. Have you tried Bastion?

Amazing adventure rpg-lite game with superb design that won't suck up a ton of time.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
The Witcher 2, IMO, has the best storyline out of any RPG to come out in years. The Witcher series in general, really.

adtrance

Feb 19, 2003
My votes:

Current Gen:
- Witcher 2
- Skyrim
- Alan Wake

Old School:
- System Shock 2
- Morrowind
- The Longest Journey

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
Buck Rogers and Shadowrun for the Sega Genesis, Diablo, Titan Quest, Dragon Warrior III, Lunar, Final Fantasy IV, Warhammer 40K Final Liberation (turn-based strategy, but I loved the FMV cutscenes), Recettear (simple but fun and different), Mechwarrior 3

Here's the cutscene which plays after you beat the first battle in Final Liberation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMXmLbyPeNw

Aug 11, 2008

I agree on skyrim. No one has suggested Oblivion. It was possibly more epic than Sky rim, but marred by the combat in which enemies levelled with you. I think there are mods to fix that though.

Personally I was very disappointed that they turned kotor into an mmo. I just don't see how it can match the storyline of a single player game.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Shit. I just deleted it cuz I didnt wanna pay. Now I gotta download that bastard again.

Actually, when it turns free its gonna be mobbed by tons of childish assholes.
Forget it, I'll just wait on KOTOR 3.

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
I agree on skyrim. No one has suggested Oblivion. It was possibly more epic than Sky rim, but marred by the combat in which enemies levelled with you. I think there are mods to fix that though.

Personally I was very disappointed that they turned kotor into an mmo. I just don't see how it can match the storyline of a single player game.

Oblivion was mentioned and OP had played it already.

On SWTOR, trust me I had the save reservations as you, but you can just ignore the MMO aspects of the game and enjoy it alone. Set your settings even to ignore things if you want.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I never found much of a 'real' story in skyrim or oblvion (maybe I'm blind); divinity 2 which you just purchased is (imho) much better with regards to being a story driven game. Another alternative is divinity which looks a bit like diablo 2; but has a real story and is quite long (about twice as long as divinity 2).

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
I never found much of a 'real' story in skyrim or oblvion (maybe I'm blind); divinity 2 which you just purchased is (imho) much better with regards to being a story driven game. Another alternative is divinity which looks a bit like diablo 2; but has a real story and is quite long (about twice as long as divinity 2).

The charm about the Bethesda RPGs is that they're open world and the game is designed and catered for exploration. That's what I love about those games. The stories were never there in those games, most of the time I stopped worrying about the main stories in those games and did my own thing.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm going to mention Drakensang since it hasn't been mentioned yet. Both The Dark Eye and The River of Time are good. It's far more popular in the EU than it is in the US.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006

I think the strength of the Elder Scrolls games is less in story and more in Immersion, which sounds more or less what the OP is looking for. Although there aren't a whole host of twists and turns and reveals in Skyrim (or Oblivion or any of the others), there is a whole world to explore and lots and lots to do and discover. For an old school RPGer like me, I can lose myself in the world just as easily as I can lose myself in a more close cropped indepth story. JMHO.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
There is a story in all Elder Scrolls games. In fact they're pretty damn good. The problem is after you mess around for 200 hours on misc. crap you end up forgetting, it doesnt have the same impact.
Imagine if in Star Wars you actually watched the rebels gear up for weeks on end to prepare for the death star assault. You'd grow bored and forget all about the big important stuff.
If you just focus on the main quests in any Bethesda game you will not only get done much faster, but probably have better memories since your brain didnt slow down as much.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
There is a story in all Elder Scrolls games. In fact they're pretty damn good. The problem is after you mess around for 200 hours on misc. crap you end up forgetting, it doesnt have the same impact.
Imagine if in Star Wars you actually watched the rebels gear up for weeks on end to prepare for the death star assault. You'd grow bored and forget all about the big important stuff.
If you just focus on the main quests in any Bethesda game you will not only get done much faster, but probably have better memories since your brain didnt slow down as much.

Well, technically there is a story in Diablo as well. And in Mario for that matter. Just not what I would consider a full and robust one.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely put the TES games in the RPG arena. And I do enjoy the story that they provide. But as I stated, I go to them more for the world immersion rather than for the gripping story.

And I think that all of the world exploration and side quests in Skyrim are much more interesting than watching a bunch of rebels load up weapons and stockpile supplies for weeks. If you are going to go that route. :p

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
As mentioned above, I'd either wait until the Baldur's Gate Enhanced edition is released this month or pick them up on GOG. (I'd wait though..) The only thing that sucks is that Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced probably wont be around for a while which is the meat and potatoes of the series.

Also, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 with expansions. (Might also be on GOG... not sure)

Just these couple games should keep you busy for years. (assuming the online community for the NWN games is still active)

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
The Witcher 2 is quite good on the RPG side for story and ambiance.

The Walking Dead is excellent on the Adventure side for drawing you in. It is also relatively cheap to boot.

XCOM is another game that will really draw you in, although it is more of a strategy game, and not an RPG or Adventure game.

Edit: i apologize. I haven't read the OP for a while, and forgot that you already played both The Witcher 2 and The Walking Dead. XCOM is the only other game I have played recently that had a good story, but it may not be your cup of tea.

Last edited: