Longest time you had a new game unopened?

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Hey,

I treated myself to BF3 premium edition as a Christmas gift in 2012 (going on 9 months now) and the game is still unopened. Have not played a single game of BF3 since it first came out. Funny thing is that BF4 will be here soon....lol!

Too many setbacks money wise in that I have NO computer that can handle it right now. Still missing key components to complete my gaming rig. Have no clue when it will be completed.

I wonder if I should even bother playing BF3 and just give it as a gift to my nephews?

So anyone ever had a situation like this? More or less........

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
do all the uninstalled Steam games count? If so...there are lots of people in that category.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Pft, I'm sure I can find plenty of unopened games I have over 15 years back.

Just glancing, I see 'The Crystal Skull' and 'Warhammer Dark Omen' for a couple.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I did open the shrink wrap on my copy of Wing Commander Prophecy (1997), but I still haven't gotten around to installing it yet . . . .

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
I'll get around to opening it someday!
etbox.jpg

Last edited:

enis083

Jan 17, 2003
Bought FF12 and it sat on my desk for about 2 years unopened. Finally opened it, played for 30 minutes and haven't touched it since.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I have an unopened copy of Doom 3, the original F.E.A.R., Skyrim, Rage, Dragon Age: Origins/Ultimate, oh, and Pong.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hey,

I treated myself to BF3 premium edition as a Christmas gift in 2012 (going on 9 months now) and the game is still unopened. Have not played a single game of BF3 since it first came out. Funny thing is that BF4 will be here soon....lol!

Too many setbacks money wise in that I have NO computer that can handle it right now. Still missing key components to complete my gaming rig. Have no clue when it will be completed.

I wonder if I should even bother playing BF3 and just give it as a gift to my nephews?

So anyone ever had a situation like this? More or less........

I recently sold a copy of Conker's BFD for N64 that was NIB. I bought it Black Friday one year at EBGames for $4.99. You'd be sick to know what I got out of it.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I have an unopened big box of Homeworld 2.

I always told myself I'd get into it after I finished the original, but then I never got around to finishing that one, and when my HD crashed I lost all progress and never restarted.

So there it sits.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Does unplayed or not downloaded (but paid for and own) steam games count?

If it does I think Barfo and Kaotik wins this thread...

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Unless one counts unplayed Steam games, then I've no unopened PC games. I do, however, have a copy of Final Fantasy 13 that I bought when I bought my PS3 in May 2012 that is still in its shrink wrap.

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
Nox here, don't remember when that came out, already played it but got a second copy for dead cheap LOL

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Since we're musing about then price of unopened boxes I figure I'd share my greatest "miss".

Many years ago (probably only a year after the game came out) I came across a bargain bin filled with these:

nascar-racing-2003-season.jpg

I think they were marked at around $6.99 or so. I'd estimate there were 15+ new boxes in the bin. That was just too much for me to spend; I didn't even get one.

I just checked Amazon, and they seem to be going for around $75 now. But does anyone care to guess what they were selling for 4 or 5 years ago?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
A few days at most, around 2 or 3 days, but I don't recall the exact amount of time.

If I remember correctly it was Metal Gear Solid 2, on the PS2. That day (MGS2's release day) I also bought the PS2 version of Half-Life (which included H-L: Decay as well) at the same store. When I got back home I do remember immediately "checking out" Half-Life, thinking that I'd just try it out only to then jump on MGS2 right away (which I had been waiting with great anticipation, since I loved the first on the PS1).

I ended up playing Half-Life until I completed it maybe 2 or 3 days later, and then I finally opened my MGS2 box. But, other than that particular time I can't think of any other retail game that I left unopened. As for digital games that I've bought but still never installed even just once then that's another story and I have good bunch like that right now (around 15+ or so).

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I still have the Infocom Comedy collection and Lost Treasure II collection unopened.

Last edited: