Longest time you had a new game unopened?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
I have an unopened box of HL and an original WC unopened that I bought at a garage sale for $5 from some old lady a few weeks ago but I dont know if that counts.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I think there's a pretty big difference between you yourself owning a game for years upon years, keeping it unopened, versus buying a sealed copy of a game a few years/months back via eBay or Amazon and just never getting around to it.

Gryz

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2010
I bought Warhammer Online at release.
At the time, I was busy with work. I decided to postpone playing for a few weeks.
One month later, all my friends had stopped playing.
I still have an unopened box.

I don't even know if the servers for Warhammer Online are still up.
But I'm sure my box is worth $0.00.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
I don't have any unopened games, but I have some that I haven't played yet and I've bought them like up to 9 years ago. I have 20+- games that I've not installed yet.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I think there's a pretty big difference between you yourself owning a game for years upon years, keeping it unopened, versus buying a sealed copy of a game a few years/months back via eBay or Amazon and just never getting around to it.

In my case they were given to me during the 1990-1992 era. I did sell one of them, a Final Fantasy, for a little under $2k not that long ago. I probably should have waited, but baby car seats and stuff are expensive.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Did any of you ever buy games from gogamer.com before they shut down? I still have a ton of discounted games I bought from them still sitting unopened in the boxes. Turok, NHL 07, Enclave, Beowulf, Chronicles or Riddick, Race 07, Titan Quest, Sacred Gold ed, Sacred 2, just to name a few.. haha

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I have a bunch of games from ~1995 that are unopened. FPS ski racing, hunter hunted, Tribes II, pro pilot. The stuff I worked on back at Dynamix.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I never bought a physical copy that I haven't played. There have been a few electronic packs I bought that I only wanted to play 2 or 3 games. The rest I just have the keys for.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Did any of you ever buy games from gogamer.com before they shut down? I still have a ton of discounted games I bought from them still sitting unopened in the boxes. Turok, NHL 07, Enclave, Beowulf, Chronicles or Riddick, Race 07, Titan Quest, Sacred Gold ed, Sacred 2, just to name a few.. haha

I have little doubt I spent over $1,000 with them, who knows how much more.

Ugh, you got me to look at some old orders. A few of the gems:

Product Line 2: Mass Effect 2 for PC
Item Price: $41.90

Product Line 1 : Empire: Total War (I) for PC
Item Price: $35.90

Some cheaper:

Product Line 1 : Horizons: Empire of Istaria for PC
Item Price: $1.00

Product Line 2 : Thrillville: Off The Rails for PC
Item Price: $1.00

Product Line 3 : Hearts of Iron Platinum for PC
Item Price: $2.00

Product Line 4 : Tribes Vengeance (JC) for PC
Item Price: $2.00

Product Line 1 : Fallout 3 for PC
Item Price: $32.90'

Product Line 1 : AGON: The Lost Sword of Toledo (I)
Item Price: $9.90

I don't remember ever hearing of some of these. AGON?

Looking through the first 25 or so, I only played one, and didn't like it:

Product Line 2 : Dungeon Runners
Item Price: $12.90

Product Line 1 : Age of Conan with Bonus
Item Price: $39.90

Last edited:

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009

Hey - you should open Sacred 2 and see if it's any good now that they've patched it up a bit.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I had a copy of the Fallout 3 Collectors edition (lunchbox + art book + bobble head) for like 3 months before I opened it. It was the Xbox360 version, and I had already played the PC version for some 100+ hours.

orbster556

Dec 14, 2005
If uninstalled Steam games count, I pre-ordered Rage but never played it. After reading the initial reviews, I was planning on waiting until they fixed some of the texture popping and/or released a high-res texture pack.

Eventually, however, started playing other games -- especially BF3 and Skyrim -- and never even bothered to check if iD resolved some of the game's issues.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Unopened, not long. Unplayed... I bought a copy of Jedi Outcast and never played it. I eventually threw it out during my great software purge of 2010 (threw out my binders of CD's that I knew I would not play again).

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I doubt I have anything from the 80's, but 90's shouldn't be a problem.

Just did a quick check, I know I can go back to at last '94, but that is kinda cheating as that particular title I bough a second copy many years later after opening mine.

Arcadio

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2007
I bought GTA San Andreas when it came out and never played it, even though I'm a big fan of the GTA series. I might play it soon.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
I have little doubt I spent over $1,000 with them, who knows how much more.

Ugh, you got me to look at some old orders. A few of the gems:

Sorry bout that. Haha! Yeah, I spent a ton with them too on all the game blowout sales they seemed to constantly have. Plus, I always thought it was cool to own the boxed copies instead of buying stuff off Steam or the like. After they went out of business I started buying more from Steam sales though. Go figure..

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Hey - you should open Sacred 2 and see if it's any good now that they've patched it up a bit.

I've been meaning to do that for years now.. lol I remember not buying it initially due to the DRM, which I think was back when Securom limited activations was all the rage. But caved when I saw it for like $5. I remember the first one being pretty good.. maybe it's time, haha