London is cracking down on knives

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
There's still plenty of good music around. But as you get older it all starts to sound like minor variations on things you've already heard. It's impossible to get _excited_ about any of it once you are past your teens.

Also, Bshole's list confuses me becuase it includes the stuff I liked back then alongside the stuff of the same era that I loathed (and I still feel much the same way about both). That's the other thing about time, people start to lump together everything from the same era, even when people at the time saw them as diametrically opposed. Similar thing seems to happen across borders - Americans seem to have a tendency to put UK artists into common categories, when the British fans of the acts lumped together actually all hate each other. (I presume it works similarly in reverse, or maybe even between the music scenes of different US states?)

Actually I love punk, alternative, soft, metal, hard, new wave, progressive and some pop. I listen to music about 10 hours a day so I absolutely need different genres (I own around 2000 records). For example, I love ABBA, Prince, the Commodores, Michael Jackson, the Bee Gees, Air Supply, the Cure, RATM, Tool, STP, and Eminem. Genres I hate are country, polka and whatever they call the shit that passes for popular music today.

As you said, from my 1977 album list, there were acts that you hated and acts you liked. That demonstrates that there was a massive diversity in the music available. Punk was basically born in 1977 with the Sex Pistols/Clash albums. The Talking Heads album was arguably the birth of New Wave. Take a gander at how many of those 1977 albums ended up on the best of all time lists. My point is that music has been gutted today. Today it all about the presentation and no thought is given to creativity and inventing entirely new genres.

I sound angry here, and guess what, I am. So often it is my own generation of 20-somethings (or younger) buying this crap. My generation is throwing cash at fast food junk music that sounds the same, a music that is a variation on a theme. Who loses out here? The musicians and composers who toil to make music that sounds like them, not someone else. The individuals who gig every day of the week, only to make a measly paycheck that can’t even pay the electric bill. They may have been trained at a fine music conservatory and are world-class musicians, yet society passes them by. Society has now become conditioned to consume this poison, this worthless crap called, in no uncertain terms, music.

https://mixolydianblog.wordpress.com/2013/12/19/mainstream-music-and-the-death-of-creativity/

Last edited: