Lol, kids thinks Alienware has special deals with Intel for 4.8Ghz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: paruhd0x
I hate idiots that try to convince you sh1t that they just pulled out of their rears. Ignorant people make me want to barf... on them.

P.S. With 30fps he'll be whining his ass off that hes getting owned left and right, Doom 3 better have a squelch feature :p

Hehe, thats 30FPS in *Counter Strike* I told him he'll be lucky if he can even get it to run as a slideshow of something, hehe

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
I don't understand that first line, but I believe after a certain point, you need to understand the hardware to run the software because to optimize a program, you may want to know the kind of system it will run on. But I do see how those who are still learning about programming basics wouldn't need to know about the hardware. I guess maybe knowing the hardware for software usage is only when you get into some intensive stuff...

hardly. If you're programming in at a high level you do not need to know the nitty gritty of details of hardware. You can be an excellant programmer and not know the difference between an AMD chip and a Intel Chip.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: fivespeed5
I don't understand that first line, but I believe after a certain point, you need to understand the hardware to run the software because to optimize a program, you may want to know the kind of system it will run on. But I do see how those who are still learning about programming basics wouldn't need to know about the hardware. I guess maybe knowing the hardware for software usage is only when you get into some intensive stuff...

hardly. If you're programming in at a high level you do not need to know the nitty gritty of details of hardware. You can be an excellant programmer and not know the difference between an AMD chip and a Intel Chip.

True, but if you want to optimize it for the system you may want to know some details about the chips.

anxman69

Jun 27, 2001
I know exactly why that kid claims to have a 4.8Ghz Intel computer.

His friend actually has a 2.4C (with hyperthreading), and saw in Control Panels that Windows lists two processors and somehow concluded that he has a 2x2.4=4.8Ghz.

-Ankur

arod

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2000
In my 2 yrs of being a CS major (glad I got out too), I found that generally CS majors only know code and not much other than that. IE general computer stuff. Its sad really.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Sounds like he is going to be a big shot and you'll be stuck as the PC monkey.

:)

being a PC monkey is not a good thing.;)

-edit- generally programmers don't know jack about hardware and vice versa.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

True, but if you want to optimize it for the system you may want to know some details about the chips.

That's what the compiler is for.

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
I found this strange when I heard about it, too. I went to work for the IT department at my college last year, and the guy in charge of all the labs on campus wanted some help replacing some parts on older machines and ghosting some of the new machines he'd gotten. Both I and my boss asked him the same question: "Don't you have your own summer help to do that stuff?" He said sure, he did - but they were all CS majors, and didn't know squat about how the hardware worked or how to build a system from parts. This amazed me.

Nate

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Originally posted by: NTB
I found this strange when I heard about it, too. I went to work for the IT department at my college last year, and the guy in charge of all the labs on campus wanted some help replacing some parts on older machines and ghosting some of the new machines he'd gotten. Both I and my boss asked him the same question: "Don't you have your own summer help to do that stuff?" He said sure, he did - but they were all CS majors, and didn't know squat about how the hardware worked or how to build a system from parts. This amazed me.

Nate

Computers are not every CS major's hobby. Just like writing novels/books is not every english major's hobby.

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001

Nate

Computers are not every CS major's hobby. Just like writing novels/books is not every english major's hobby.

True. I guess it just seems odd to me because I started by replacing a few parts in my first computer, and went from there. I've built a few since then, and also became interested in how the software end of it worked...so I got into programming and CS.

Nate

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000

True. I guess it just seems odd to me because I started by replacing a few parts in my first computer, and went from there. I've built a few since then, and also became interested in how the software end of it worked...so I got into programming and CS.

Nate

a lot of people are like you, but there are others who saw the tech boom and though CS would be a good industry to get into.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
you should ro-sham-beau him for who is right, make sure you go first tho.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: anxman69
I know exactly why that kid claims to have a 4.8Ghz Intel computer.

His friend actually has a 2.4C (with hyperthreading), and saw in Control Panels that Windows lists two processors and somehow concluded that he has a 2x2.4=4.8Ghz.

-Ankur

Nope, supposedly his friend who I picked parts out for, claims he has a 4GHz CPU, while its only a 2.53. Also, he claims the 4.8Ghz is one that only Alienware sells becuase they have special deals with Intel.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003

Nate

a lot of people are like you, but there are others who saw the tech boom and though CS would be a good industry to get into.

I see how the tech boom got them into it. Personally, in my case I went from webpages to hardware and now programming, but hardware is still number one in my preference list

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: EngenZerO
go find new friends, preferably, ones that are girls, ;)

I've got plenty of those :) They even take special routes around the school to say hi to me ;)

And, he really isn't a friend, or an enemy, he's just someone I know that I can talk with, although he can get a little weird

EMPshockwave82

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2003
even if he knows they dont make 4.8Ghz processors for the public yet he might think that he bought a dual processor pc with 2 X 2.4Ghz power hungry muddas

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Is it true that some programmers don't know how to build a computer? I mean I could see it the other way around, a technician who builds computers daily that does not know how to program, like myself.

I have professors that are responsible for huge chunks of research that can't even make a web page.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
So you're nerdier than most of the guys in your CS class. Congrats. What a proud day for you and your family.

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Elemental007
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Is it true that some programmers don't know how to build a computer? I mean I could see it the other way around, a technician who builds computers daily that does not know how to program, like myself.

I have professors that are responsible for huge chunks of research that can't even make a web page.

I had a proffessor (last spring) who was supposed to be teaching a web-page design class - and didn't know how to use the software :| The class had to teach itself because he couldn't figure it out. All it was was MS Frontpage. I saw him in the Help Desk office at school this summer getting a personal lesson from one of our IT people on how to use the school's webpage for stuff like posting grades, looking at schedules, etc. And this guy is responsible for a large number of the computer-related courses in the IS degree track at school :confused:

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
why are you talking about me online? I do have a 4.8ghz pc Ankit, just wait tommarrow im going to kick your a$s.