Lol, kids thinks Alienware has special deals with Intel for 4.8Ghz

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Some kids just make up crap, that too, in my computer science class. I wonder how the hell they want to program and make up stuff.

Anyway, there was some discussion about computers, and he said a friend we both know has a 4ghz computer. I told him thats fake because he has a 2.53 533FSB with RDRAM PC1066. He didn't believe me and said that he does. I told him the only way would be overclocking and for that high of a speed he'd need some nice water cooling setup, now this is a kid who definetly would have no clue those even exist, hehe

Then he went to say that he swore Alienware has 4.8Ghz CPU's. I told him thats crap and he may have seen 2.8Ghz by mistake. He wouldn't believe me, so I told him I'll bet him $10 right there and we'd go online and check, he wouldn't accept.

Then there's a kid who thinks b ecause he gets 30FPS in CS, he'll get 30FPS in Doom 3 even with all settings turned up, he's only on like a 1 ghz cpu, I told him that not how it works and that a Radeon 9800 only hits 60FPS in the game. He said he doesn't need 60, and 30 is enough for him.
rolleye.gif

Anyway, I just don't understand how Computer Science AP students can believe such things such as 4.8Ghz CPU's and getting 30FPS in CS means 30FPS in Doom 3... *sigh*

lchyi

May 1, 2003
Kick him in the nutz. Oh damn, and that would have been fun to take a computer science ap course. Oh and you won't hit 4ghz or 4.8ghz with a water cooling setup. Maybe a Prometia...

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: lchyi
Kick him in the nutz. Oh damn, and that would have been fun to take a computer science ap course. Oh and you won't hit 4ghz or 4.8ghz with a water cooling setup. Maybe a Prometia...

I told him that even with water cooling, something that high is tough and you'd have to try a bunch of CPU's till you got that speed. He wouldn't believe a thing I said though, hehe

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Richdog
And all of this makes you feel...let me guess...superior... :beer:

:beer: In a way, because they are idiots, but I really don't compare myself to idiots since that could mean less than comparing the speed of a Athlon 64 with a 486.

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
ignore them, when you become their boss you can fire them for being idiots.

/edit excuse my englrisihsns

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: fivespeed5
ignore them, when you become their boss you can fire them for idiots.

Thats what I usually do until they come asking for my opinion... *sigh* And I'm not going to lie just to take their side...

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: boyRacer
I hope no girls heard you guys talking like this. :D

Nope, none, hehe. I kind of make sure of that. All of the girls I speak with aren't they kind that would hate me forever if I mentioned computers though :)

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
It's my personal experience that the vast majority of CS majors are VERY book-smart but have little to know common sense and world knowledge.
A couple friends I had that graduated with CS degrees always managed to infuriate my by saying INCREDIBLY stupid things reflecting an enormous lack of tact and profoundly subpar judgment.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Is this highschool? My school only had an AP Comp Sci and no regular Comp sci so we had tons of idiots.

Now, hearing that stuff from a College Computer Science Major is horrible.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
There are just too many of these kinds of kids out there man. They're called pathological liars.

You should have gave him this web address to the forum and made him ask on the forum. Then watch as everyone laugh their assess off and call him a troll.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: amnesiac
It's my personal experience that the vast majority of CS majors are VERY book-smart but have little to know common sense and world knowledge.
A couple friends I had that graduated with CS degrees always managed to infuriate my by saying INCREDIBLY stupid things reflecting an enormous lack of tact and profoundly subpar judgment.

Very true, some of the kids in my CS class are book smart but have little to no real world experience. Each of them has played nothing beyond Starcraft, nothing beyond Intel integrated graphics, etc. They don't realize what else there is and even when someone asks them a question, they just answer with an opinion, no facts.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Kelvrick
Is this highschool? My school only had an AP Comp Sci and no regular Comp sci so we had tons of idiots.

Now, hearing that stuff from a College Computer Science Major is horrible.

Yup, high school, but I was expecting a little more from these students. Hopefully some of them won't survive this first year so I can take the second year with some of the smarter students. The sad thing is, they will probably pass and still be idiots who can write hello world and modifications of it.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Is it true that some programmers don't know how to build a computer? I mean I could see it the other way around, a technician who builds computers daily that does not know how to program, like myself.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
There are just too many of these kinds of kids out there man. They're called pathological liars.

You should have gave him this web address to the forum and made him ask on the forum. Then watch as everyone laugh their assess off and call him a troll.

Lol, I've tried that, but then they make up some lame excuse about how its so boring and stuff. They're hopeless and know that they're wrong, yet the still continue talking...

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Is it true that some programmers don't know how to build a computer? I mean I could see it the other way around, a technician who builds computers daily that does not know how to program, like myself.

It is very true. Out of the class and not counting the Cisco students becoming certified (Only seniors can do this... otherwise I'd have taken it) there must be only 1 or 2 students other than me. One of them wants to do something like what John Carmack (Doom 3) does, I respect him and I think he can. The rest, they're pretty much kids just taking it or those who claim to understand how things work more than how hardware works. Its pretty sad, they just keep saying things of what they're good at until they realize what it really means, hehe.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Spikey217
Maybe he thinks HT means two cpus in one. 2 x 2.4GHZ = 4.8 GHZ... w00t.

Nope, I asked him. I also said maybe it was dual cpu's, but even then you won't get double the speed. *sigh*

BTW, this is my 4000th post!

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
hardware != software

Good in one doesn't mean you're good in the other...my gf is a programming whiz, but if you open the box up she couldn't tell you the difference between a hard drive and a motherboard (well, not that bad, but you get what i mean).

Beyond that...being in AP CS isn't an indication of intelligence, common sense, or even programming skill. Half the people in my AP class are dumb as hell...like...wow, it truly amazes me sometimes. For example, we had to write a program to parse a string (containing a numeric expression) and evaluate it...like a calculator. Anyway, this one kid can't get his program to read negative numbers. So I'm like..when your program sees a - sign, does it subtract? him: "yup, no sh!t." Me: "well gee...so if i have (-8+4), your program will try to subtract 8 from (???" Him: "uhm...uhmm..." Me: *walks away*

paruhd0x

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
I hate idiots that try to convince you sh1t that they just pulled out of their rears. Ignorant people make me want to barf... on them.

P.S. With 30fps he'll be whining his ass off that hes getting owned left and right, Doom 3 better have a squelch feature :p

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Originally posted by: eLiu
hardware != software

Good in one doesn't mean you're good in the other...my gf is a programming whiz, but if you open the box up she couldn't tell you the difference between a hard drive and a motherboard (well, not that bad, but you get what i mean).

Beyond that...being in AP CS isn't an indication of intelligence, common sense, or even programming skill. Half the people in my AP class are dumb as hell...like...wow, it truly amazes me sometimes. For example, we had to write a program to parse a string (containing a numeric expression) and evaluate it...like a calculator. Anyway, this one kid can't get his program to read negative numbers. So I'm like..when your program sees a - sign, does it subtract? him: "yup, no sh!t." Me: "well gee...so if i have (-8+4), your program will try to subtract 8 from (???" Him: "uhm...uhmm..." Me: *walks away*

whoa calm down, simple mistake he mad for a novice programmer. When you pointed that out to him and the started calling you an idiot and saying you're wrong then you'd have the right to be angry.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: eLiu
hardware != software

I don't understand that first line, but I believe after a certain point, you need to understand the hardware to run the software because to optimize a program, you may want to know the kind of system it will run on. But I do see how those who are still learning about programming basics wouldn't need to know about the hardware. I guess maybe knowing the hardware for software usage is only when you get into some intensive stuff...