Lobbying firm takes on OWS

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
A lobbying firm with very strong ties to John Boehner has divulged an $850,000 plan to attempt to undermine OWS protest and any politician that might support and/or show sympathy towards the protests.

They are also claiming that the ABA (American Banker's Association) must help fund races where Democrats are vulnerable so that they can keep very friendly Republican allies in control so that they can get free reign without being impeded by pesky regulation making them....what's the world....responsible for their actions.

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_n...ells-out-plan-to-undermine-occupy-wall-street

CLGC’s memo proposes that the ABA pay CLGC $850,000 to conduct “opposition research” on Occupy Wall Street in order to construct “negative narratives” about the protests and allied politicians. The memo also asserts that Democratic victories in 2012 would be detrimental for Wall Street and targets specific races in which it says Wall Street would benefit by electing Republicans instead.

Two of the memo’s authors, partners Sam Geduldig and Jay Cranford, previously worked for House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio. Geduldig joined CLGC before Boehner became speaker; Cranford joined CLGC this year after serving as the speaker’s assistant for policy. A third partner, Steve Clark, is reportedly “tight” with Boehner, according to a story by Roll Call that CLGC features on its website.

Personally, I don't think that it matters all that much whether they are pulling the strings of Dem or Rep legislators, they will still be their masters. It will only matter to what degree and in which sector of their business.

PeshakJang

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2010
It's already in the OWS thread, and it's a pretty poorly written, unprofessionally formatted, 5-day forward dated memo, exposed by a left-wing MSNBC commentator.

Best not to question any of that though, right?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
It's already in the OWS thread, and it's a pretty poorly written, unprofessionally formatted, 5-day forward dated memo, exposed by a left-wing MSNBC commentator.

Best not to question any of that though, right?

Are you saying Wall Street isn't interested in discrediting OWS and electing Republicans?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Are you saying Wall Street isn't interested in discrediting OWS and electing Republicans?

He's saying he wants to drop to his knees and tell everyone not to pay attention while he and his ilk suck off wall street.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I think what he is saying is that a lobbying firm, whose entire existance is based on their ability to influence others, would not write a horribly written memo. The memo would be wonderfully written instead.

It would be like claiming to have found theories from Einstein that are full of basic math errors...or like having found a half eaten Cheeseburger at Michael Moore's house. These things do not exist...Einstein was too good at math to have basic math errors in his theories and Michael Moore would never leave part of a cheeseburger uneaten...

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Even the banking association acknowledged receiving the letter from this firm.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I think what he is saying is that a lobbying firm, whose entire existance is based on their ability to influence others, would not write a horribly written memo. The memo would be wonderfully written instead.

It would be like claiming to have found theories from Einstein that are full of basic math errors...or like having found a half eaten Cheeseburger at Michael Moore's house. These things do not exist...Einstein was too good at math to have basic math errors in his theories and Michael Moore would never leave part of a cheeseburger uneaten...

It goes to show... The powerful people in this country aren't any smarter than the rest of us.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
A lobbying firm for the financial industry is planning to lobby for the financial industry!!!

Thanks for the informative thread! :rolleyes:

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
A lobbying firm for the financial industry is planning to lobby for the financial industry!!!

Thanks for the informative thread! :rolleyes:

I think the next shocking revelation will be security firms have been making a lot more money and getting new contracts as a result of OWS too. Probably followed by a shocking upsurge in orders for STD/lice/ringworm pharmaceuticals in local clinics. Yeah, i'm being a smartass, but did you ever have any doubt that corporations were going to be making money hand over fist from #Occupy? I didn't.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Damage control!

Preparing for all possible outcomes is not "damage control" in the way you are trying to say "damage control".

The reason why the OWS crowd is living in tents out in the cold, instead of having a job, is because they didn't prepare like others did. No, their problems are not defined by greed of the 1%. That's why their "movement" doesn't command the respect they believe it deserves, because many of the rest of us understand some of the larger complexities that go into these situations.

Good friend of mine is in a bad position, he went through college has two masters degrees, but is unemployed. Why is he unemployed? Because along the line people who were not of the 1% kept telling him that all he needed is the degrees and high-paying jobs will be falling on him like an avalanche. Well, so he did absolutely nothing extra while earning his masters degrees to prepare him for a job, like sidejobs or internships, and has not had any job since leaving college last year. Everyone in the academic world kept telling him $80k+ jobs were waiting for him - and when he pressed them for advice on how to find these jobs, they all pretty much told him the same story - "I don't know how, that's why I'm still in the teaching field."

There is your little life lesson in preparation. This lobbying firm is preparing for the future. If the OWS crowd still doesn't take the advice, I really have no more sympathy left. There is a reason why I am relaxing in a heated home with a good job that I know I am not getting fired from or being outsourced.

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
When the OWS crowd says it, they demand to be taken seriously.

When Glenn Beck said this, the OWS crowd was in rage against his nutbaggary conspiracies.

Everyone knows it's coming they just disagree on the causes so in each others eyes their nut bags or whatever other label is circulating.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Nowhere in that memo do they try and counter ideas that OWS espouses but are looking for dirt on people.

Like my dad used to say

Great minds debate ideas.
Mediocre minds talk about events.
Small minds attack people.

Don't be a small mind.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Preparing for all possible outcomes is not "damage control" in the way you are trying to say "damage control".

The reason why the OWS crowd is living in tents out in the cold, instead of having a job, is because they didn't prepare like others did. No, their problems are not defined by greed of the 1%. That's why their "movement" doesn't command the respect they believe it deserves, because many of the rest of us understand some of the larger complexities that go into these situations.

Good friend of mine is in a bad position, he went through college has two masters degrees, but is unemployed. Why is he unemployed? Because along the line people who were not of the 1% kept telling him that all he needed is the degrees and high-paying jobs will be falling on him like an avalanche. Well, so he did absolutely nothing extra while earning his masters degrees to prepare him for a job, like sidejobs or internships, and has not had any job since leaving college last year. Everyone in the academic world kept telling him $80k+ jobs were waiting for him - and when he pressed them for advice on how to find these jobs, they all pretty much told him the same story - "I don't know how, that's why I'm still in the teaching field."

There is your little life lesson in preparation. This lobbying firm is preparing for the future. If the OWS crowd still doesn't take the advice, I really have no more sympathy left. There is a reason why I am relaxing in a heated home with a good job that I know I am not getting fired from or being outsourced.

the protestant work ethic delusion is strong here

I know so many people who did jack shit in college that ended up getting a decent job. Life really does not sort itself in a fair way like you like to pretend.

PeshakJang

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2010
the protestant work ethic delusion is strong here

I know so many people who did jack shit in college that ended up getting a decent job. Life really does not sort itself in a fair way like you like to pretend.

I'm pretty sure his whole point was that life is not fair, and it is not smart to assume that it is.

OWS on the other hand, and liberals in general, demand that life be fair, bt only to the extent that the 'unlucky' be rewarded at the expense of the 'lucky'

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
I'm pretty sure his whole point was that life is not fair, and it is not smart to assume that it is.

OWS on the other hand, and liberals in general, demand that life be fair, bt only to the extent that the 'unlucky' be rewarded at the expense of the 'lucky'

Me thinks that you don't understand what the OWS message is.

It has nothing to do with playing Robin Hood, but everything to do with taking away the loopholes and ability to buy access that allows special treatment so that you can create more loopholes so that you can further exploit everyone else.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Me thinks that you don't understand what the OWS message is.

It has nothing to do with playing Robin Hood, but everything to do with taking away the loopholes and ability to buy access that allows special treatment so that you can create more loopholes so that you can further exploit everyone else.

So OWS fully supports removing Union money being used to gain special treatment as well?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
So OWS fully supports removing Union money being used to gain special treatment as well?

It's futile trying to get any #Occupy person or group to agree or disagree with anything, there may be a "consensus" of up twinkles today, then a "consensus" of down twinkles tomorrow on the same issue. They take no responsibility, there's no vote taken and they can change their mind at any time. Why bother?

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
It's futile trying to get any #Occupy person or group to agree or disagree with anything, there may be a "consensus" of up twinkles today, then a "consensus" of down twinkles tomorrow on the same issue. They take no responsibility, there's no vote taken and they can change their mind at any time. Why bother?

So discovering that you were on what is clearly the wrong side of an issue but holding firm is an admirable trait in your eyes?

Times change, circumstances and situations change. You mind should be allowed to change also.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
So discovering that you were on what is clearly the wrong side of an issue but holding firm is an admirable trait in your eyes?

Times change, circumstances and situations change. You mind should be allowed to change also.

Pretty much what the American Government always thought with their agreements with various Native American tribes.............. how enlightened of #Occupy.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Lobbying firm takes on OWS

A lobbying firm with very strong ties to John Boehner has divulged an $850,000 plan to attempt to undermine OWS protest and any politician that might support and/or show sympathy towards the protests.

I'm sure that Boehner and the Republicans will spend a whole lot more than 850K to discredit the OWS movement.

Their hate for America has unlimited funds.