Lmao what do white people eat everyday, educate me.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
There are a lot of things that suck about living in America but variety of available types of food isn't one of them at least in my area.
Available but corporatized and/or "Americanized" for the corporatized American palette.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Available but corporatized and/or "Americanized" for the corporatized American palette.
Depends a lot on where you are. In plenty of places in America that's likely true, but where I am the diversity is dizzying. I'll walk down the sidewalk and could hear any of myriad languages. The food here is likewise diverse and if you look, authentic. However, 98% of what I eat I prepare for myself and have for decades. It's as authentic as I want to make it. Honestly, I used to spend much more time on preparing my meals. I just can't justify that, I have much better things to do. I can and do prepare a wonderful salad daily in well under 10 minutes. I make leftovers on purpose, prepare in advance so I can make a meal in only a few minutes. I don't spend 60 or 90 minutes like I used to working up a complicated dinner.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Depends a lot on where you are. In plenty of places in America that's likely true, but where I am the diversity is dizzying. I'll walk down the sidewalk and could hear any of myriad languages. The food here is likewise diverse and if you look, authentic. However, 98% of what I eat I prepare for myself and have for decades. It's as authentic as I want to make it. Honestly, I used to spend much more time on preparing my meals. I just can't justify that, I have much better things to do. I can and do prepare a wonderful salad daily in well under 10 minutes. I make leftovers on purpose, prepare in advance so I can make a meal in only a few minutes. I don't spend 60 or 90 minutes like I used to working up a complicated dinner.
Authentic Chinese cuisine restaurants usually don't exist. And even then, cuisine varies based on locality. So no fucking Taiwanese can ever grasp how to cook like a Shanghaiese, of which the latter's style is innately more refined and superior to the former.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Authentic Chinese cuisine restaurants usually don't exist. And even then, cuisine varies based on locality. So no fucking Taiwanese can ever grasp how to cook like a Shanghaiese, of which the latter's style is innately more refined and superior to the former.

ah yes, Shanghai cuisine, where soy sauce reigns supreme.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
I like soft foods that don’t irritate my mouth ( cancer patient here) I like banana, avocado, really been into squash ravioli, water melon spears, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, soft breads, thinly sliced chicken, soups and stews

Reactions: Meghan54

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That is true for many places in America but not in some of the more dynamic and diverse cities such as New York and a few others. New York absolutely has the most diverse food scene in the country and quite possibly the planet. You'll always find little authentic gems here and there in the burbs and stuff but nothing compares to a a massive megapolis with immigrants from every nation

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Not really although we have those too. There are people from all over the world in New Haven plus NYC and Boston are right up the street. (to be fair it WAS better pre-pandemic)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Authentic Chinese cuisine restaurants usually don't exist

Straight-up nonsense. :rolleyes:

I used to eat in a place in Manhattan's Chinatown where I had to request a menu in English and half the time I would be the only non-asian in attendance plus every staff-member was Chinese.

Yes they eat a crap-ton of stuff in China that 99% of Americans wouldn't eat and/or is illegal to serve here (not going into specifics) but beyond that there's nothing "mysterious" about cooking "Chinese" food.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Straight-up nonsense. :rolleyes:

I used to eat in a place in Manhattan's Chinatown where I had to request a menu in English and half the time I would be the only non-asian in attendance plus every staff-member was Chinese.

Yes they eat a crap-ton of stuff in China that 99% of Americans wouldn't eat and/or is illegal to serve here (not going into specifics) but beyond that there's nothing "mysterious" about cooking "Chinese" food.
Shanghainese don't eat canines. ;)
Pork might be a fetish. My mother actually and legitimately hates beef.

There never was a Chinese monolith. Chinese were divided by geography...which in turn led to a deviation in languages to the point of verbal unintelligibility. Only the commies have done anything substantial in shoving down an ugly ass uniform language that is Mandarin.

Now, I'm an irreverent asshole becuase I'm half-Cantonese. I could have been quadrilingual....but I only speak English.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

There never was a Chinese monolith. Chinese were divided by geography...which in turn led to a deviation in languages to the point of verbal unintelligibility. Only the commies have done anything substantial in shoving down an ugly ass uniform language that is Mandarin.

Now, I'm an irreverent asshole becuase I'm half-Cantonese. I could have been quadrilingual....but I only speak English.

You brought up dogs not me.... and that wasn't what I was referring to.

A$$holes come from everywhere.... race has nothing to do with anyone's behavior, it's 100% your individual responsibility how you act.

Reactions: Muse

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

From what I have read China has the most diverse cuisine of any country due to so many regional styles.

America probably has more diverse food, but it's not American cuisine that is diverse.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There are a lot of Chinese around here and many are immigrants. My favorite place to comingle with folks around here is Oakland's Chinatown, which is around 4-5 miles from me, I ride my bicycle down there. What's in the shops is mind boggling to put it mildly. There's some corporate stuff in the shops, but there's no sense of attitude... there's also a ton of stuff you look at and wonder what in the hell it could possibly be. Much of it is imported and a whole lot has no corporate look at all, frequently it's in bins or bagged by the store. You even see dead animals hanging on strings.

The restaurants? I barely have any idea. The pastry shops are something although I seldom indulge these days, in fact I rarely go down there anymore, but once in a while. There's some Vietnamese restaurants I've liked there. It's not really Chinese centric, there are a bunch of Asian ethnicities in the area. The sidewalks are something with stands and shops of all kinds big small and tiny. The pandemic killed off a whole lot of the activity and many kinds of businesses there went under. It will take years for it to regenerate. The last year or two there's been a big problem there and SF Chinatown etc. too with attacks on elderly Asians in the streets. Pisses me off!!!

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I try to liven up this place and all I get are old comments of being high.

Are any excitements in this nursing home of a forum = high / too uppity?

Wake up sheeple.
There were barely a few comments about you being high, and you didn't answer the question on whether you were high, and you didn't comment on people's food choices either
7G3zITG.png

Reactions: Captante and Muse

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
From what I have read China has the most diverse cuisine of any country due to so many regional styles.

America probably has more diverse food, but it's not American cuisine that is diverse.

There are 8 main styles. With many regional variations. Most of the generic Chinese places in the US will mix and match multiple syles. More "authentic" places will still present a lot of different styles (mainly for the non-Asian patrons), but usually you can tell what the restaurant actually specializes in.

I am not great on identifying the various styles. Personally, I prefer Jiangsu (AKA Su) cuisine. Least favorite is Sichuan, not a big fan of spicy food, but main reason is I REALLY dislike Sichuan peppercorns.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
There are 8 main styles. With many regional variations. Most of the generic Chinese places in the US will mix and match multiple syles. More "authentic" places will still present a lot of different styles (mainly for the non-Asian patrons), but usually you can tell what the restaurant actually specializes in.

I am not great on identifying the various styles. Personally, I prefer Jiangsu (AKA Su) cuisine. Least favorite is Sichuan, not a big fan of spicy food, but main reason is I REALLY dislike Sichuan peppercorns.

Any regions or sub-regional styles use dairy at all? Besides eggs?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Any regions or sub-regional styles use dairy at all? Besides eggs?

Eggs are considered dairy? Egg is used everywhere. Milk? Not to my knowledge, though there are the occasional deserts which use diary. Lactose intolerance is very common in China. Yogurt is there, and it is damn near perfection. If you have a Chinese grocery near you grab some of the yogurt, it is great (assuming you like yogurt).

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Eggs are considered dairy? Egg is used everywhere. Milk? Not to my knowledge, though there are the occasional deserts which use diary. Lactose intolerance is very common in China. Yogurt is there, and it is damn near perfection. If you have a Chinese grocery near you grab some of the yogurt, it is great (assuming you like yogurt).
I love yogurt. I don't know why I always considered eggs as part of dairy. Probably from shopping in the grocery when little.

I really have to start exploring not just the Manhattan Chinatown more, but the Chinatown in Flushing, Queens. I see tons of food recs there.

The Uighur Muslim Chinese food I had in Manhattan I mentioned earlier was tip top. And still need to go back there

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

It's not a very homogenous "race" or "nationality" in terms of language prior to "common language nationalization". It's more like a bunch of foreigners tied to one written script. True to the usual methods of the CCP, achieving the dominance of Mandarin was achieved in part by discouraging and censoring the "local vernacular" in local schools, media, video entertainment. China is also really big.

Hard to relate to someone who doesn't speak the language. English people can't understand French or Spanish, and their cuisines also differ. As far as the Shanghainese language goes, whatever full version of it is probably going to die out.

Something like kombucha was never something my mom was even aware of.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I got in an argument with my mother once cause she was conflating eggs with dairy. I think this weirdness came about cause they're both in the "other" category, and instead of having two single item "others", they lumped them together. They aren't meat, fruit, grain, or vegetable, and they can't be lumped in with sugars or oil.