NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 958 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Hammer Studios Horror Movies

I watched a bunch of these over the Halloween week. Mostly just playing in the background while I surfed on my phone or played Playstation or whatever. These are those campy. sorta cheap, churned out quickly and cost affectively in the 60s and 70s horror flicks. There's actually a few big named actors in a lot of them - everyone gets their start somewhere I guess.

Anyways, never really scary or "good", but so damned entertaining along the way. Just so interesting to see what was being made back then too. Comical at most turns. Can I say too, that holy cow... some of the women in these movies are just 11-outta-10s. That certainly helped keep my attention :)

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Egypt's Unexplained Files - Science Channel (10/10)

This started as a 2019 series but the most recent episode (21) is from February of this year. They do try to "plump" things up for the general public but it's based on solid archaeology as well as a host of other sciences.

This morning they're running 5 episodes but it looks like they're on number 3 at 8am.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Minions: Rise of Gru 5/10

Stupid storylines even for a cartoon.

Movie separate into 3 plot lines:
Kid Gru, the 3 usual minions, and a 4th minion.
All on their separate quests before reuniting.

Continuation problems from the previous movie, Minions.

In Minions, the final scene has kid Gru show up with his freeze ray and does a big crime.

In this movie, he's still a kid with big dreams of being a major villain.
And no freeze ray.
It hasn't been invented for him yet.

Meh

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I watched
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17076046/reference/

Which, you would think, is the story of Weird Al Yankovic; it's not.

To be clear, this film has 0% factual info about weird al, and it's 100% made up.

The story is disappointing. There's a ton of interesting cameos, but as Zoolander 2 proved, that's not enough to make a film interesting. If you are really, really interested into seeing obviously-not-real celebrities such as Frank Zappa and John Deacon played by dudes in halloween costumes, then this film is for you. Feast your eyes on Fake Oprah, Fake Hulk Hogan, Fake Madonna.

Very disappointing.

6/10 just barely.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
omg the internet truly is ripe with fruits of joy.

I am watching the horribad The Warrior And The Sorceress - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088379/reference/

Which is a 1984, B-fantasy film, and an almost beat-by-beat clone of Yojimbo, with the protagonist even having a poncho and mannerisms exactly like Clint Eastwood in Yojimbo's clone, For A Fistful Of Dollars.
To quote Wikipedia, "The film is noted chiefly for containing extensive nudity and violence", but more accurately, 1984 titties and bloodless paper-mache swords.
Starring none other than David Carradine - the Kung Fu guy - in the exact same character as Kung Fu, but Clint-ized.

.. i mean .. it's great. It reminds me of the old Star Trek TOS episodes. The sets and costumes are horrible, there's a lizard puppet that requires more suspension of disbelief than a normal human can muster, and the fighting wouldn't look out of place in a late-stage Steven Seagal movie.

If you love trash film, this is a hit. Obviously the actors really believe in their lines and the fact that they try to deliver them with conviction is what makes this film shine, as if everyone is completely oblivious to how trashy the entire film is.

I can easily recommend this, it's entertaining, well paced, funny, and spiced with plenty of boobs. If the comical fights don't make you smile, you must be dead inside.

7.2/10 - you know .. it's Yojimbo.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Top Gun Maverick - 9/10

Definitely better than the first one, which isn't saying much as the first one is pretty lame if you watch it now and not much happens. Sound and visuals were incredible in this though. Initially I didn't really like the new younger crew but they ended up being okay.

And man, LOL @ the whole playing football scene. The concept of it was SSSSSSOOOOO stupid but it was clearly just a throwback to the volleyball scene in part 1.

In general I wasn't a huge fan of how much they tried to go back to the first one and tie it in either with flashbacks, familiar scenes (how many damn scenes we need to see of Mav on his bike?), music, etc. It reminded me a lot of the newest Matrix movie in that sense, but this movie was actually good.

Putting all that aside I still say it's a 9/10 movie. It was just a lot of fun to watch.

Jul 27, 2020
Putting all that aside I still say it's a 9/10 movie. It was just a lot of fun to watch.
You are basing your conclusion on the action scenes. I would agree with you there. All the rest made me impatient. It could be tightly edited to be a much better, fun movie with a shorter runtime.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You are basing your conclusion on the action scenes. I would agree with you there. All the rest made me impatient. It could be tightly edited to be a much better, fun movie with a shorter runtime.
It did not even feel like 2 hours to me to be honest. Felt like it was 90 minutes or so. I thought the flying action at Top Gun before the finale was highly entertaining and that it had good pacing.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
All Quiet on the Western Front - 9.5/10

I hesitate to give anything a 10, but I found few flaws with this movie. I watched in the original German. The combat scenes are brutal. I have read that the movie takes some liberties with the book and history (nothing egregious to history IMO, seems like they mixed multiple hitorical battles into one, read the book 20-30 yrs ago, couldn't say how different it is to that). I watched on my tablet as it was a spur of the moment thing, so I don't want to praise the cinemotagrapy or special fx too much. Looks amazing on a small screen, might go back and check out a few scenes on my TV.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Egypt's Unexplained Files - Science Channel (10/10)

This started as a 2019 series but the most recent episode (21) is from February of this year. They do try to "plump" things up for the general public but it's based on solid archaeology as well as a host of other sciences.

This morning they're running 5 episodes but it looks like they're on number 3 at 8am.

Yeap - solid series for sure. I'm only aware of 10 total episodes though.

Reactions: Charmonium

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
If you google the title and add "episodes" at the end, there definitely seem to be around 20 for the first season but with a couple of gaps toward the end.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Just watched Black Adam, then watched it again and caught a few things that I hadn't on the first watch. It could have done with a few less heroes, perhaps, but I'm always a sucker for anything with Dr. Fate in it. I enjoyed the 'sorcerer vibe' that Teth Adam gave off early in the film, and really liked watching a character similar to Superman really beating the crap out of baddies. My son thought it started a little slow, but then he thought it had a lot of action later on, & enjoyed it. My wife felt that they should have introduced a "cast of characters" during the opening credits - she didn't know who a lot of the characters were. I enjoyed the action quite a lot - would give it about an 8 to 8.5 out of 10.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Just watched Black Adam, then watched it again and caught a few things that I hadn't on the first watch. It could have done with a few less heroes, perhaps, but I'm always a sucker for anything with Dr. Fate in it. I enjoyed the 'sorcerer vibe' that Teth Adam gave off early in the film, and really liked watching a character similar to Superman really beating the crap out of baddies. My son thought it started a little slow, but then he thought it had a lot of action later on, & enjoyed it. My wife felt that they should have introduced a "cast of characters" during the opening credits - she didn't know who a lot of the characters were. I enjoyed the action quite a lot - would give it about an 8 to 8.5 out of 10.
beating up the baddies?

thought black adam was a bad guy?
opposite to shazam?

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

2/10

Supremely disappointing. It really looked hilarious in the previews with him dating a dead ringer for 1984 Madonna and I have been a fan of his work for decades. If I ever met him I'd ask him to sign my spatula. But this was nowhere close to the hilarity of UHF. Legit the only time I laughed was in the last 3-4 minutes. The premise of the movie sounded awesome: a biography where everything was made up. But it was so poorly executed. Was expecting another UHF but instead it was a Deuce Bigalow level comedic flop.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Just ordered the 2014 DVD of the 1996 Joe's Apartment. I'll have to watch on pc though. I could make it the second display for my old lappie tho.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Currently Watching Family Ties from the 1980s.

Does Alex P Keaton resemble Ben Shapiro a bit? Maybe its me. There are many commonalities. Alex and Ben are very conserative. They both dislike liberals. BTW, the speed trap is one of my favorite episodes. The episode when Tom Hanks visits the family is great. Tom was so young. I'm surprised that everyone from that show are still alive. Ah, the good ole days.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Currently Watching Family Ties from the 1980s.

Does Alex P Keaton resemble Ben Shapiro a bit? Maybe its me. There are many commonalities. Alex and Ben are very conserative. They both dislike liberals. BTW, the speed trap is one of my favorite episodes. The episode when Tom Hanks visits the family is great. Tom was so young. I'm surprised that everyone from that show are still alive. Ah, the good ole days.
Alan Thicke died back in 2016.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
All Quiet on the Western Front - 9.5/10

I hesitate to give anything a 10, but I found few flaws with this movie. I watched in the original German. The combat scenes are brutal. I have read that the movie takes some liberties with the book and history (nothing egregious to history IMO, seems like they mixed multiple hitorical battles into one, read the book 20-30 yrs ago, couldn't say how different it is to that). I watched on my tablet as it was a spur of the moment thing, so I don't want to praise the cinemotagrapy or special fx too much. Looks amazing on a small screen, might go back and check out a few scenes on my TV.
oh wow.

I'll give it a try.

I have to say, i am worried that they have remade the original but turned the misery up to 11.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Top Gun Maverick 4/10 yeah they broke suspension of disbelief. Also counting on nostalgia alone does not a movie make.

Status
Not open for further replies.