NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 956 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I watched The Power Of The Doctor, the Dr Who 1:30h special, an endeavour i would not recommend to anyone but the most fanatics.

Something .. stupid happens. The Dr Who plots are so dumb these days that there's no point in summarising it anyway.
Sacha Dhawan is pretty good as The Master, going back to John Simm's "completely batshit insane" Master, although Dawan looks more like he's doing an imitation of Heath Ledger's Joker. Jodie Whittaker is pathetic as The Doctor, she absolutely should not be cast in any role that isn't "grieving mother".
There was an insane amount of shakeycam, every scene framing was horrible. Costumes and CGI were pretty damn good.
2 old characters were brought back with a script SO BAD, it could fuel a five-hour youtube rant. Deepfakes of every doctor were also used, and finally, the last three seconds of the special, Jodie Whittaker finally fucks off as her character is killed, and regenerates in none other than

David Tennant.

Seriously.

5/10
no ..
4.5/10
wer'e in Prequels territory here.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I watched The Power Of The Doctor, the Dr Who 1:30h special, an endeavour i would not recommend to anyone but the most fanatics.

Something .. stupid happens. The Dr Who plots are so dumb these days that there's no point in summarising it anyway.
Sacha Dhawan is pretty good as The Master, going back to John Simm's "completely batshit insane" Master, although Dawan looks more like he's doing an imitation of Heath Ledger's Joker. Jodie Whittaker is pathetic as The Doctor, she absolutely should not be cast in any role that isn't "grieving mother".
There was an insane amount of shakeycam, every scene framing was horrible. Costumes and CGI were pretty damn good.
2 old characters were brought back with a script SO BAD, it could fuel a five-hour youtube rant. Deepfakes of every doctor were also used, and finally, the last three seconds of the special, Jodie Whittaker finally fucks off as her character is killed, and regenerates in none other than

David Tennant.

Seriously.

5/10
no ..
4.5/10
Tennant regeneration>>>>>> Whittaker sucking at channelling Tennant

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
guys, casting is not jail. If you go to a serious actor with a shit role, it's their choice as well to take it.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Watched Nope last night. Been waiting for this to hit bluray so I could watch it on my system.

I was a bit disappointed with it. It just didn't live up to my expectations. I feel like Jordan Peele is starting to get an M. Knight vibe to him. He started out with a banger and his movies have progressively not been as good as the prior one. Granted it's a small sample size. But I also feel like he's marketing them as scary movies but they aren't scary at all. That also reminds me of M. Knight.

I would give it like a 7/10, borderline 6/10.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
the last three seconds of the special, Jodie Whittaker finally fucks off as her character is killed, and regenerates in none other than
David Tennant.
Seriously.

5/10
no ..
4.5/10
So David tenant is back after the show screwed him over??
They must have wrote him a HUGE check.
(Or I'm thinking of the wrong Dr?)

Also, how did they explain the Regen past #12??

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
So David tenant is back after the show screwed him over??
They must have wrote him a HUGE check.
(Or I'm thinking of the wrong Dr)

Also, how did they explain the Regen past #12??
1. they didnt really screw him over; you are thinking of christopher ecclestone. yes, they absolutely fucked him.
But Tennant left of his own accord, which tbh is no surprise given how much success he had with Doctor Who. After that he was in EVERYTHING. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0855039/
2. the regen past 13th is explained by: the show is completely fucked.
No seriously, for a show that was pretty nerdy in keeping with continuity, the last incarnation was so completely fucked, i'm talkiing STAR WARS PREQUELS fucked, i.e midichlorians, that bringing back Tennant is possibly a great joke by Russel T Davies - the guy who wrote all the good Dr Who stuff - and to say "nops, none of that actually happened".

• Haha

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
that bringing back Tennant is possibly a great joke by Russel T Davies - the guy who wrote all the good Dr Who stuff - and to say "nopes, none of that actually happened".
Nice, dream sequence.
What doctor# was Tennant? #11?
So if this was a reboot, then there's still a Regen left before the show has to come up with a better explanation of going to #13

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
The Toys that Built America - History channel 10/10

This is something we don't really pay attention to but should. Season 2 just started with deep dive into Star Wars, BSG, etc.

FYI there's all different variations of this show
The Toys that Built the World
The Food that Built America
The Food that Built America (Snack Sized)
The Cars that Built the World
The Engineers that Built the World
... the list goes on and on

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
So if this was a reboot, then there's still a Regen left before the show has to come up with a better explanation of going to #13
possibly. Nobody knows.
To be honest, i doubt the show can be saved. I doubt you can convince the crowd that loved the 2005 series to watch this garbage because, they got burned hard.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Rise of the Nazis (Season 3) - 9/10

I absolutely love this series, and season 3 picks up where the others left off. Just a great new look at the rise/fall of the Third Reich. They go into a lot of the politics. human elements etc. There's very little coverage/discussion of the battles an warfront. One of the WWII docuseries that I've watched (and I've watched a lot)

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Rise of the Nazis (Season 3) - 9/10

I absolutely love this series, and season 3 picks up where the others left off. Just a great new look at the rise/fall of the Third Reich. They go into a lot of the politics. human elements etc. There's very little coverage/discussion of the battles an warfront. One of the WWII docuseries that I've watched (and I've watched a lot)
sooo .. are the nazis the good guys, or the bad guys ?

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
possibly. Nobody knows.
To be honest, i doubt the show can be saved. I doubt you can convince the crowd that loved the 2005 series to watch this garbage because, they got burned hard.
Dr Who doesn't always do a good job of explaining things, so take this with the proverbial grain of salt but . . . . I think the reversal of the forced regen gave the doc a new lease on life. What's not clear to me is does that mean he/she gets another 12 incarnations or maybe just some fraction of that.

edit - or maybe we get to start from when David Tennant was the doc?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Dr Who doesn't always do a good job of explaining.

edit - or maybe we get to start from when David Tennant was the doc?
Yep that's what I'm thinking.
Nothing after Tennant's departure 15+ yrs ago happened.
This was a dream sequence or something like that.
That way the writers don't have to come up with an explanation of how he's able to Regen past #12.

Wonder how much they are paying Tennant to come back?

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
i've been binge-watching a show i didnt know existed (which is many) but found some snippets of on youtube, and like the acting of the main character, so,

The Blacklist - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2741602/reference/

it's kinda silly to review it here as it's from 10 years ago and you all probably know it better than i do, but i like it.
The character with a god complex isn't easy to write, or rather, it's easy to write for a few episodes, but not easy to stretch it out for years, e.g. Person Of Interest. It either becomes repetitive, or the situation escalates to the point where it becomes unbelievable.
... aaand instead The Blacklist is very watchable, i'm up to S03 and i've yet to start to hate it, so, success? Another full six years of episodes to go, but got pretty good hopes.

(i still haven't watched The Wire. I hear that one's pretty good too?)
I've watched all 10 seasons and want more. James Spader is an excellent actor, plus it is well written, production, etc.

Jul 27, 2020
I've watched all 10 seasons and want more.
Are you from the future? 10th one isn't out yet.

Does he finally go on a diet in the 10th season? I was getting concerned by the amount of weight he's put on. Looks like he hates to exercise. Or some trouble in his love life.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Are you from the future? 10th one isn't out yet.

Does he finally go on a diet in the 10th season? I was getting concerned by the amount of weight he's put on. Looks like he hates to exercise. Or some trouble in his love life.
ok, just finished the 9th season.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I've watched all 10 seasons and want more. James Spader is an excellent actor, plus it is well written, production, etc.
i've done a further mini-review

I gotta say, some episodes were really good. Some were very boring, both for the same reason. The main character is a very edgy character - it's true that the writers sometimes throw in some random murder by Red - but the normal way he behaves as if "it was all in my plan", and at the same time being a posh, idiot snob, is either suspenseful or cringeworthy, according to how well or badly the week's subplot was.
The main story arc is also kinda shit, at some point it makes no sense to take someone through a hail of bullets, but at the same time not tell them the truth because "she could get hurt".

It was probably better weekly, binge-watching it makes it worse.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Clue (1985)

Slapstick (not quite custard pie level) murder mystery lightly based on the board game (Cluedo), starring Tim Curry. I wouldn't put it on my top-ten list of favourite comedies, but it was amusing and worth the watch.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Clue (1985)

Slapstick (not quite custard pie level) murder mystery lightly based on the board game (Cluedo), starring Tim Curry. I wouldn't put it on my top-ten list of favourite comedies, but it was amusing and worth the watch.
You know, i wanted to make some comment on this film, but i realise i have not watched it in probably 30 years.
I remember Tim Curry running around .. and ..

1667079498707.jpeg

• Haha

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Barbarian was trash. It's been hyped up quite a bit but I thought it sucked and was just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.