NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 991 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Dungeons and Dragons: Honor among thieves (first 25%): 5/10

No idea why it's rated so good.
lame sense of humor.
The escape scene in the beginning would have been better if they didnt announce the verdict of their pardon.

And with that musical instrument, he's not a thief. He's a bard.

it's 2hrs 15min so another 1hr 45min to go so i'll update at the end (if i get to the end).

sfx is great though.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Jul 27, 2020
6.5/10 from me. I don't take Chris Pine seriously so just enjoyed the movie for the comedy value. Yes, visual effects/CGI is nice. The obese dragon. Now that's not what I want a dragon to be :D

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Has anybody who played D&D watched the D&D movie? I've heard from a bunch of people who did that they thought it had no business being as good as it was.

I'll be renting it when its down to 5 bucks soon enough.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

No idea why it's rated so good.
lame sense of humor.
The escape scene in the beginning would have been better if they didnt announce the verdict of their pardon.

And with that musical instrument, he's not a thief. He's a bard.

it's 2hrs 15min so another 1hr 45min to go so i'll update at the end (if i get to the end).

sfx is great though.
update:
It got ALOT better but:
The way the unstoppable over the top Paladin leaving was lame but thankfully not cringe worthy.

Also, the movie copied Thor: Ragnarok's gladiator arena scene with the Rogue (Hugh Grant) being the GamesMaster, and that OwlBear being the Hulk pounding that person into the ground.
I didn't like Top Gun Maverick copying Star Wars and i didn't like this.

Deducted -0.5
Overall 8/10

Last edited:
  • Haha
Jul 27, 2020
Overall 8/10
Guess you were entertained :)

She's just adorable

aAbmRDg_460s.jpg

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Has anybody who played D&D watched the D&D movie? I've heard from a bunch of people who did that they thought it had no business being as good as it was.

I'll be renting it when its down to 5 bucks soon enough.
well, the star was introduced as a thief but with that musical instrument, he was a bard.
But he showed no magic. meh #1

Shouldn't a Paladin be able to permanently kill the undead? meh #2

An apprentice sorcerer becomes Dr Strange in one day. meh #3

When they did close up hand to hand combat with the witch, why didn't the shape shifter change into a powerful animal when she grabbed her? meh #4
(biggest plot hole of the movie)

wow.. That moving dragon statue can withstand ALOT of damage from an ax wielding barbarian.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Super Mario Bros (2023): 8.5/10

where-to-watch-super-mario-bros-movie-online-for-free-is-2023-super-mario-bros-film-available-on-netflix-or-hbo-max.jpg

The beginning was slow but once Mario got to the Mushroom kingdom, it picked up.

Loved Princess Peach's personality.
Love the related themes of Mario Kart and Donkey Kong. (Remember, Mario was first seen in Donkey Kong :eek: )

Also loved the rap intro for Donkey Kong vs Mario.
lol.. cameo by Diddy Kong

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - It's a decent movie. The Sean tries to act in this movie instead of playing the Sean like he did in almost every other movie he's been it. The female lead role was much better than the Temple of Doom character. The climax is anti-climatic but since they already melted the faces off a roomful of Nazis in the first movie, trying to one-up that was pointless. 7.5/10

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Vox Machina Season 2 (eps1+2): WTF/10

1684371487523.png

Season2 starts off with the archer having a witch's broom stick that allows her to fly plus summoning a bear?!
and the barbarian has an evil black broadsword (pic)?

In eps 2, the thief has leather armor of quickness plus raven wings.
and the barbarian now has gauntlets of might?
the bard now has an enchanted longsword?!?!

sigh.. i hate series that start like this.
you know the next few episdoes will be the backstory

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I think you might have the episodes out of order.
yeah, noticed that.
now watching in the correct order and realized i'm being spoon fed the adventure.
i think i preferred the out of order way better. :eek:

"wait.. where/when the hell did s/he get that?! and they're still losing..."

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Vox Machina Season 2 (eps1+2): WTF/10

View attachment 80733

Season2 starts off with the archer having a witch's broom stick that allows her to fly plus summoning a bear?!
and the barbarian has an evil black broadsword (pic)?

In eps 2, the thief has leather armor of quickness plus raven wings.
and the barbarian now has gauntlets of might?
the bard now has an enchanted longsword?!?!

sigh.. i hate series that start like this.
you know the next few episdoes will be the backstory

Vox Machina season2: 7/10

i liked it better when i watched it out of order.
it was more interesting like, wait..where did that come from. how...?
then eagerly wait for the backstory/flashback.

anyway, i hope this show doesnt do 1 season per dragon.
that means 2 dragons down, 3 more year to go.

Edit:
Art work on the Sphinx was amazing

800px-Kamaljiori_-_LoVM.png

This pic doesnt do it justice.
(episode 6)

Last edited:

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000

Fast X - 7/10 (Part 1) Nice action movie typical of the Fast series. Some unbelievable car racing/chasing scenes (no one dies/gets injured). Jason Momoa (Dante) acting badass, nicely done.
Can't wait for part 2, movie ended in a sort of cliffhanger.

Gal Gadot character (Gisele Yashar) didn't die in Fast & Furious 6 (2013) she somehow survived after falling from the plane, Dwayne Johnson (Luke Hobbs) will show up in Part 2,
since it is revealed that he was the one who shot and killed Dante's father, not DominicToretto.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Mario movie

8/10. Definitely a kid's movie. If you like Mario, it's absolutely worth watching just for all of the little Easter eggs & nods they put into the franchise. Like in the very beginning, Luigi's cell phone jingle is the Gamecube startup sound lol. I love those little touches they put in there! Poor Luigi in the haunted mansion lol.

Graphics were amazing. I'm constantly impressed with how good CGI has gotten these days. Plus the character animation didn't feel or look weird. It was like a higher-graphics version of Super Mario Odyssey. 7 years ago, after the Unreal 4 engine was released, someone did a video demo that really took the animation to the next level. I wonder if it helped inspire the movie:

Cards on the table, I had NO IDEA that King Koopa was a turtle! I mean, it's incredibly obvious once they said it, with the short tail & the spiked shell & all, but I just never put two & two together. I thought he was some kind of dragon or something because he breathed fire in the games lol. My favorite characters were, in order: (also loved the penguins in the beginning lol)

1. Lumalee (the hilariously depressed blue star)
2. Toad (I would watch a Toad movie, for sure)
3. Donkey Kong (SO much better than I was expecting lol)

My only complaint with Chris Pratt doing the voice for Mario is that he didn't sound old enough. Like his voice age didn't match the age that Mario looked. I almost wanted something more like a George Clooney-aged voice. Beyond that, they did a good job of holding your attention & keeping it fun & light. Jack Black knocked it out of the park with his voice work. The Peaches song is a work of art lol.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Halloween Ends - 2/10

WTF was this trash lol. The first like 50 mins I am like is this even a Halloween movie? Did I click the wrong movie or something?

It was just so bad. I can't believe Jamie Lee Curtis agreed to do that movie.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Labyrinth, 1986 - it’s an okay movie. The muppets are good, scenery well done. David Bowie is excellent and Jennifer Connelly does okay with the weak character she has to work with. The music wasn’t to my taste but didn’t turn me off either. The plot was about as nuanced as Terrance and Philip. 7/10

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
well, the star was introduced as a thief but with that musical instrument, he was a bard.
But he showed no magic. meh #1
He is a fallen Harper, not a bard. Harper agents can be any class, but all must play an instrument. If he was still in good standing with the Harpers he would have had some of their magical abilities that let them pass themselves off as bards, but the boons are granted by gods, so his status as a fallen Harper would take those away from him.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
So in Ted Lasso - so Nate is going to somehow rejoin the team and help them strategizea win to a championship as a coach of some sort. Apparently Roy and Keely are going to get back together. Rebecca really not sure where that's going but maybe the guy from Amsterdam somehow reappears in the picture, unless somehow the Sam thing happens. It's one of the two. Ted moves back to Kansas and there is a chance he actually gets his ex wife back, as she is clearly not happy with the unethical shrink guy.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
War of the Worlds: The Attack (2/10)

I don't know what I was thinking. I saw a clip of it in a trailer for upcoming sci-fi movies and added it to my list without any research, other than, "Oh - I like WotW, so let's see what this one brings." I recall the clip almost reminding me of "Attack the Block" in style. I was wrong.

I guess I get that it was a low-budget/indie-type attempt, but what a stinker on almost every level. Like, high-school art-student film attempt bad. "Ok, now let's do a scene where you are pensive and sad about your dad. And.. action!" Once I was 30 min in, I decided to watch the remaining hour out of morbid curiosity. I don't recommend it.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
War of the Worlds: The Attack (2/10)

I don't know what I was thinking. I saw a clip of it in a trailer for upcoming sci-fi movies and added it to my list without any research, other than, "Oh - I like WotW, so let's see what this one brings." I recall the clip almost reminding me of "Attack the Block" in style. I was wrong.

I guess I get that it was a low-budget/indie-type attempt, but what a stinker on almost every level. Like, high-school art-student film attempt bad. "Ok, now let's do a scene where you are pensive and sad about your dad. And.. action!" Once I was 30 min in, I decided to watch the remaining hour out of morbid curiosity. I don't recommend it.

Is it one of those movies that gives you the revelation of "Oh, _now_ I understand what 'good acting' is"!

I saw one like that on Netflix a while back (can't remember the name). Some spy thing, that was just so awful that it made me aware of what acting actually is. Unbelievably wooden performances. It was like "now it's my turn to say my line" "now I will read out my line" "now it's my turn again".

I mean you hear arguments about who should win this-or-that Oscar, and you have no idea, because you can't tell who is a good actor or not (the big stars generally seem to be the same character in every movie they are in).

It's only when you see something with truly _bad_ acting that you suddenly realise those famous names actually _are_ doing something other than just playing themselves after all. That there is actually some real craft involved.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Not really on point with the thread but I didn't want to start a new one. It seems like every so often a trend emerges in "popular" TV that is just awful with no redeeming qualities. Things like unscripted/reality TV. The most recent irredeemable trend looks to be Shonda Rimes. Wife was watching that new Bridgerton spinoff, god it's awful. There is no value in these programs.

That is all.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Terror at Bigfoot Pond: -500/10 - I love bad horror movies, but this is quite literally the worst movie I have ever seen. It shot right past 'so bad it is good' all the way around to being just plain bad again. It has a run time of 1hr 22 minutes, but I can't imagine that anyone, even the editor (and I use that term in the loosest way possible) has ever made it through that entire runtime in one sitting. There is a lot of time where the 'actors' (using that term to describe the people in this movie might count as abuse of language) are supposed to be having dialog but just sit around staring at each other. Like literally someone will say something and it will take a full 30 second for the next actor to state their next line. It is hard to watch. At one point the on screen workers (I just can't bring myself to keep calling them actors) decide to go skinny dipping, except the 'lake' is at best ankle deep, and it is obvious that they didn't expect the water to be so shallow, so they kind of stand in shallow muck and splash it on each other. On top of that, they also forgot that cameras need at least some light to work with, they are shooting in the middle of the night and they are tying to use their cell phones to light the scene. It does not work.

Just as a disclaimer I did not finish this film. I watched about the first 45 minutes of it before giving up, so perhaps the ending is brilliant, but I can't imagine anyone making it to the end to find out.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Been watching Different Strokes. Sad what happened to Dana plato and Gary Coleman .

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.