NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 861 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Started watching Shadow and Bone. I'm two episodes in. Haven't read any of the books it's based on. So far it's OK, nothing special. 6/10 Will revise if it changes as the season progresses.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
The Virtuoso

With Anthony Hopkins, eh ? What's not to like ?

Here is the summary from IMDB.

Shit descends upon a sleepy town when a professional assassin accepts a new assignment from his enigmatic boss. ( Hopkins).

Well, as Plato once said, I've seen it and it cannot be unseen.

So I ran out to the back yard when it was finally over and began to dig.I've been here about an hour now. I only hope I can dig down far enough to bury even the memory that I watched it.

Save yourselves. Don't even think about it.

*/10 not accepted.

Reactions: zinfamous

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i just watched for the first time in its entirety,
Le Dernier Combat - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085426/

Luc Besson's first film, entirely in B&W, and with no dialogue excluding two uses of the word "bonjour".

In a postapocalyptic wasteland, a Man .. you know what, the story is absurd. The only real summary is:
"Jean Reno's first role, in which he plays a guy who wants to kill. The other guy does not want to kill. They fight."

Sure, there is somewhat of a coherent story, but it's not really important. Something has happened that prevents people from speaking, which - is assumed - leads to the state of affairs where everyone dresses in rags and drinks from the sewers.
Reno's aptly named character, "The Brute", wants to kill everything. He has no motivation as to why. He smiles and laughs and clearly enjoys fighting. The protagonist, "The Man", instead is more down to earth, more humane, and enjoys the simple thing. And, that's it.

It's vaguely interesting, but not something i would recommend outside of cinema buffs.

My vote: 6.5/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
5 minute review

Stowaway - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9203694/
is a non-story. None of it is in any way engaging and when it ends you're still waiting for anything to happen.

Ana Kendrick (yeah) and 2 other are on a spaceship. There's gravity but hey, floating is expensive. IMMEDIATELY at film start they find some poor schmuck has accidentally remained onboard past launch.
They do not have sufficient oxygen and will all die.
They need moar oxy. How?
There is oxy in another part of ship.
Anna goes, takes oxy, but also dies.
End.

Reactions: DaaQ

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
5 minute review

Nobody - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7888964/

It's John Wick.

But John Wick is stupid, and stupid is good.
Instead Nobody tries to be real, a human tragedy and all those things that do not fit well with sawed off shotguns and guns in the face.
I'm sorry but i would rather take stupid. I *understand* that stupid is just trying to amuse me, and is fully aware that none of it is real; Nobody instead wants to insist that yes, it's all real, it actually happened.

John Wick wins.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
5 minute review

Riders Of Justice - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11655202/

is also John Wick.
It also tries to make it realistic, but the absurdism of the dark comedy bits elevates it above a "guy shoots stuff" film.
In Danish with subs, a couple of quirky data analysts are caught in a terror attack designed to kill a mobster, ex-member of the gang "Riders Of Justice". Together with a soldier whose wife died in the attack, these middle-aged computer nerds set out to deal some JUSTICE !

it was ok. Not great, but decent. Could use more comedy, and a bit more speed of execution.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Kon-Tiki

Be prepared to get wet watching this one.The true story of

The Kon-Tiki expedition - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Kon-Tiki_expedition

The Kon-Tiki expedition was a 1947 journey by raft across the Pacific Ocean from South America to the Polynesian islands, led by Norwegian explorer and writer Thor Heyerdahl. The raft was named Kon-Tiki after the Inca god Viracocha, for whom "Kon-Tiki" was said to be an old name.

Definitely one of the most original, well- written and fun films I've seen in a while . How to finance a voyage to prove a theory of the origin of the Polynesians which nobody accepted? How do you sail a raft 5000m based solely on winds and currents, especially when those same elements take you the wrong way ? How do you stay alive in a marine environment when no one on the voyage has ever lived in one and even the leader can't swim ? Anyone remember Captain Bligh ?

The acting and filmography are well up to the task of placing the audience itself in danger from storms, sharks, reefs and the loss of illusions.

8/10 -Buy me a scotch and I'll give it 8.5. Send me a hooker and its a 9.

Reactions: Captante

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Kon-Tiki

Be prepared to get wet watching this one.The true story of

The Kon-Tiki expedition - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Kon-Tiki_expedition

The Kon-Tiki expedition was a 1947 journey by raft across the Pacific Ocean from South America to the Polynesian islands, led by Norwegian explorer and writer Thor Heyerdahl. The raft was named Kon-Tiki after the Inca god Viracocha, for whom "Kon-Tiki" was said to be an old name.

Definitely one of the most original, well- written and fun films I've seen in a while . How to finance a voyage to prove a theory of the origin of the Polynesians which nobody accepted? How do you sail a raft 5000m based solely on winds and currents, especially when those same elements take you the wrong way ? How do you stay alive in a marine environment when no one on the voyage has ever lived in one and even the leader can't swim ? Anyone remember Captain Bligh ?

The acting and filmography are well up to the task of placing the audience itself in danger from storms, sharks, reefs and the loss of illusions.

8/10 -Buy me a scotch and I'll give it 8.5. Send me a hooker and its a 9.
uh .. which film tho?
the 2012 version?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The Ritual - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5638642/

a vaguely-competent horror film that is not a lot horror but more introspection, while not trying to be introspection but actually trying to be horror.
However, well acted and really well shot. Shame on the weak script.

Five guys in ol' London town are planning their long weekend. One suggests Amsterdam, another suggests Ibiza, etc.
As they head home they run into a robbery and one of the five is killed. Because of this, they decide to go with the thing he had suggested, a hike in sweeden.

Ok, decent setup. Big problem: the four guys left are absolutely normal guys. You will likely have a hard time telling at least 3 of them apart. Super-normal office bois. There *is* a reason why every horror film uses archetypes instead - the jock, the slut, the stoner ..

They venture forth and the best part is the filming of the swedish trail. Gorgeous photography.

As the progress along the trail, they start to see some horror-like things. The further along they go, the worse the situation gets.
The film decides to play it "modern" style, with the characters approaching the situation in a rational way, which again works to the detriment of the film.

Eventually they come face to face with a Lovecraftian monster, and there is no resolution. 3 of the guys die, another is left to wander the trail.

The film Annihilation very much comes to mind, except it's guys. And with a guy-appropriate color scheme.

6.5/10 - not enough script, only interesting for the photography.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
The Courier - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8368512/

i would point you towards this epic scene from Waynes World 2:
I am really struggling to find one instance of benedict cumberbatch being anything more than a guy who reads his lines, in his entire film career. The guy should be cast in "human without personality" roles because goddamn it, he was BORN to play that part.

So, completely-devoid-of-personality actor benedict cumberbatch plays the role of completely-devoid-of-personality IRL human Greville Wynne, whose particular talent was to NOT be a spy. The guy would literally just hold a thing handed to him.
And .. someone thought this was good material for a script?

On the other hand, actually-good-actor Merab Ninidze plays the magnetic Col. Oleg Penkovsky, the real start of the story, a GRU top-ranking agent who passed thousand of secrets to the allies during the cold war.
.. i guess there is a plot, in Wynne being progressively more scared of being caught. I wouldn't recommend you waste 2 hours just for the absolutely obvious to unfold.

5.5/10

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
The Courier - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8368512/

i would point you towards this epic scene from Waynes World 2:
I am really struggling to find one instance of benedict cumberbatch being anything more than a guy who reads his lines, in his entire film career. The guy should be cast in "human without personality" roles because goddamn it, he was BORN to play that part.

So, completely-devoid-of-personality actor benedict cumberbatch plays the role of completely-devoid-of-personality IRL human Greville Wynne, whose particular talent was to NOT be a spy. The guy would literally just hold a thing handed to him.
And .. someone thought this was good material for a script?

On the other hand, actually-good-actor Merab Ninidze plays the magnetic Col. Oleg Penkovsky, the real start of the story, a GRU top-ranking agent who passed thousand of secrets to the allies during the cold war.
.. i guess there is a plot, in Wynne being progressively more scared of being caught. I wouldn't recommend you waste 2 hours just for the absolutely obvious to unfold.

5.5/10
Benedict was great in

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
He was great in The Imitation Game, and I can't wait for DR. Strange 2. I will watch The Courier to see if I hate him in that.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Candy (1960) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062776/

Is a pseudo-erotic, absurdist film where the titular Candy (Ewa Aulin) is a excessively naive girl who is thrown about from one erotically-charged situation to the next.

It stars Charles Aznavour, Marlon Brando, Richard Burton, James Coburn, John Huston, Walter Matthau, and Ringo Starr. Popular figures such as Sugar Ray Robinson, Anita Pallenberg, Florinda Bolkan, Marilù Tolo, Nicoletta Machiavelli, Umberto Orsini, and Enrico Maria Salerno also appear in cameo roles.

None other than the original B&W Addams Family' own Gomez Addams plays the protagonist's father.

The entire film is intended as a spoof of sexual exploitation in cinema, and the plot pretty much goes like this: Candy meets a new person, which will be a trope character of sexual exploitation films - a love guru, a doctor, a gangster, whatever, and this character tries to have his way with Candy, but things become absurd because of some flaw this character has, and Candy leaves the situation, dazed and confused, only to wind up in another like it.

based on a book of the same name, it's not bad, but again, not something i'd watch more than once.
Oh, and there's no nudity.

6/10

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The Mummy (1999)

I just watched it for the first time. My feeling is that if you've seen one or two decent Indy movies, there's nothing that this film does better.

Whatever "meh" translates to in terms of scoring...

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
well .. *cracks knuckles*

after a delay of 41 years, i have finally watched Hair - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079261/

A good ol' boy from Oklahoma is on his way to join the army, and he has a run-in with a bunch of
hqdefault.jpg

I like musicals, but most that i know of aren't that great. Maybe because musicals are complicated to bring into existence - you need a plot, and acting, enough for a full film, and then you need enough good music for an album. Hair .. does okaish.

The plot is solid, and the acting is good; it would help if the co-star, the hippie Berger, wasn't such a massive wise and beautiful woman. Considering that this film was meant to portray the flower-power movement in a positive light, it really doesn't help that he's a complete fuckup. The others tagging along aren't great either. Tbh, the whole film is meant as an anti-war message, but i'm not so sure it manages to do that.
The musicianship is good, compared to something like Jesus Christ Superstar, where the musicians playing the songs can't even keep time. The songwriting is disappointing, as many musicals are. Hair has two absolutely smashing songs, Aquarius and Failures Of Flesh (AKA "Let The Sunshine In"), and a lot of filler, but it's saved from complete disgrace that the songs pieces are not static, instead the song advances the film. For example, there is a song that deals with the protagonist's boot camp - starts as he arrives, and by the end of the song he has completed it.

The backdrop of 1970s NYC and the entire 70s aesthetic is gorgeous, a treasure of simplicity.

I'm gonna be straight with you .. there's not a lot to watch here. This ain't the Rocky Horror Picture Show, or The Blues Brothers. What Hair really has going for it, is two absolutely amazing songs, mostly due to the glorious choirs. So, go to youtube, and watch the two clips of Aquarius and The Flesh Failures, and you've watched 90% of the good stuff.

... look, if you too think Cats is only worth it for the song Memory, which you should, then don't watch it. If instead you find yourself grabbed in a whirlwind of emotions when crap like Jellicle Cats plays, then by all means, sit through 2 hours of Hair.

6.5/10 - about half of it is salvageable.

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
The Train (1964)

Directed by John Frankenheimer; starring Burt Lancaster. Great movie based on a true story about the French Resistance saving a great deal of art (French Impressionism) from the Nazis in WW11. Very impressive filmmaking.

9/10

Reactions: BarkingGhostar
Nov 20, 2009
5 minute review

Stowaway - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9203694/
is a non-story. None of it is in any way engaging and when it ends you're still waiting for anything to happen.

Ana Kendrick (yeah) and 2 other are on a spaceship. There's gravity but hey, floating is expensive. IMMEDIATELY at film start they find some poor schmuck has accidentally remained onboard past launch.
They do not have sufficient oxygen and will all die.
They need moar oxy. How?
There is oxy in another part of ship.
Anna goes, takes oxy, but also dies.
End.
It was like 2/10!?! Harsh, I know, but I went into it looking for technical flaws and found some. The one that bugged me the most was that of the climbing clamps. In the future, battery-operated things flashed out of existence so they had to manually clamp their way from the regular module to that on the extension module. Also, why should this extension module be weightless? The two major portions of their craft are spinning about a common foci and so they should both have gravity with only a point somewhere in the middle not. Bad science. Poor engineering. Got a girl killed.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I watched a surprisingly good movie:

Lesbian Vampire Killers - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1020885/

Current IMDb rating: 5.1/10
Starring a guy i absolutely hate, James Corden, in a role that DID NOT SUCK.

Fletch and Jimmy are buddies, in London, England. Drunk in a pub, they decide to hike ..
wait what film is this? The Relic?? Nono, no wait.

Ok, so. Jimmy and Fletch are in a pub, in London, drunk. They decide to hike to a quaint village in the countryside, which they do. They arrive at a pub where the landlord clearly sets them up to be murdered by the titular Lesbian Vampire Killers. Along the road they meet some Hot Chicks(tm), and together they will fight the evil Lesbian Vampire Killers (roll credits).

It's a silly horror spoof, if Cabin In The Woods was more of a comedy and less of a serious examination of horror tropes. What impressed me is that the pacing is really on point, the film moves briskly from line to line and scene to scene, and rapidly explodes into a flurry of vampires being destroyed by frying pans, stabbed by tree branches, fire axes (obviously).
Think less Shaun of the Dead and more Evil Dead 2. It's shit, but it doesn't give you time to think "it's shit".

Would recommend.

7/10 - funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.