NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 862 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Watched What We Do In The Shadows again for the second time in a year. One of the funniest movies I've seen. So good. I can't wait to see more stuff Taiki Waikiki does as JoJo Rabbit was also so good and he has a lot of stuff on his agenda, acting, producing and directing

Reactions: jman19 and Homerboy

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Finished Shadow and Bone, ended up really liking it. 8/10

Looking forward to a Season 2 but since it's a Netflix show odds that they get to finish telling their story seem low. Netflix seems to be operating under the assumption that 1 season of three shows, regardless of show quality, is almost always better than 3 seasons of a show of good quality.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Blood Quantum - 5/10
Canadian First Nation Zombie flick on Shudder. Too many plot holes, over the top zombie horror - some great - some terrible, and the last 1/3rd was pretty unwatchable.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7394674/

Tourist Trap - 6/10
1979 Horror/Suspense - This one was pretty out there and definitely had some interesting twists and the normal horror tropes were not adhered to. I will note for 1979 and 3 female leads, there were no boobs and there was a lot of opportunity for boobs. Overall this is a must see for the Horror watchers
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080040/

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i don't remember why, but i did not review this when i originally watched it, back several years ago. But today i emerged from the deepest slumber and i remember that i had watched
Butter (2011) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1349451/

A most unusual film about butter sculpting. It's an actual thing.

So. A very, very Midwestern family with dreams of socio-political advancement adopt a token black girl. Said girl immediately takes to the art of Butter Sculpting, which as i have said before, it's an actual thing. There is also an intertwined slut-to-saint Pretty Woman story involving Olivia Wilde, in her last pre-fame role.

Butter .. is a very unusual film. On one hand. On the other it's absolutely typical. It's a spoof, it's not a spoof. It's surreal, it's down to earth. What you need to know is that:
1. it involves lots of butter
2. all 3 of the principal characters find their own salvation in the end
3. aside from Alicia Silverstone and Jennifer Garner (and Hugh Jackman and Kristen Schaal), it's worth watching alone just to gaze at Olivia in fishnets. (she has a lez makeout scene too)

SO WATCH BUTTER!
The film has a few weaknesses but you'll never find another film that deals with this subject matter.

7/10 - Olivia Wilde wasn't married here yet so watch it thinking you still have a chance

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Finished Shadow and Bone, ended up really liking it. 8/10
Finished this Friday night myself. I would not be nearly as nice to it as you. I liked it too, but man it is just one YA Fantasy cliché after another. At this point these shows are starting to resemble cheap romance novels in that they use the same elements verbatim over and over, only really changing up the scenery.

Looking forward to a Season 2 but since it's a Netflix show odds that they get to finish telling their story seem low. Netflix seems to be operating under the assumption that 1 season of three shows, regardless of show quality, is almost always better than 3 seasons of a show of good quality.

I think this is unfair. Netflix I think has a much higher odds of continuing a show than almost any other network, it just may take them 3 years to put out season two. It is worth remembering that most network TV channels cancel more new shows then they renew. In fact it a broadcast TV network has a Sci-fi or Fantasy show I actually enjoy I just assume it has already been canceled.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I sat down .. ermm. i was already sat down.
I decided to invest time into watching La Jetee - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056119/ (The Jetty)

and i was incredibly disappointed.

Ok so, it's 28 minutes long. There are no moving scenes, only photo stills. Obviously, there is no acting. It's in B&W.
The story, which you get from a narration - for us non french speakers, reading subtitles - is an early prototype of 12 Monkeys. In the future, after a nuclear war, a bunch of scientists invent time travel and they send in time a guy. He travels in time, gets a thing given to him, goes back and hands it over. So they decide to kill him.
He escapes in time and gets killed in front of the eyes of his younger self.

So .. it's frustrating having to review something like this. It's cool, for what it is, but it's not a film. You can literally just read the transcript of the subtitles and you lose nothing of the content.
Sure it's vaguely interesting to see this as the product that 12 monkeys is entirely based on, but .. as its own product? You don't need to watch it - there's nothing to watch. The stills just barely fit with the onscreen narration. A couple walking by a shop does not equate time travel. A face with a jewel on the forehead does not equate a futuristic society.

You need a lot of imagination to like The Jetee. A LOT of imagination. So much imagination that you don't actually need a film anymore.
So why imagine something as shit as La Jetee and not imagine something like
1203_Boobage_FAQ_1.jpg

my vote: 5/10 - it's just a script, not a film.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
5 minute review

The Mitchells Vs The Machines - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7979580/

at a 8/10 on IMDb, this incredibly mediocre animation is the story of your typical american family (yawn) where the kids spend too much time on their phones (YAWN)
and there is a robot upheaval because an Apple-like company (*YAWN*) does something so, the Mitchells must fight robots to enter the kill code which wins and ends the film.

pfft.

6/10 if you are desperate

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
5 minute review

The First Nudie Musical - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074533/

vaguely funny comedy about a producer trying to make a buck by producing the world's first nudie musical, while having nothing but third rate cast members, a virgin director (Grammy nominee Bruce Kimmel), and a bunch of crooks for investors.
Despite being based on the concept of sexploitation, there is very little sexploitation - on the contrary, the casual nudity is portrayed in a as-less-titilating-as-possible manner.

It's not horrible but you should only watch it for historical reasons, so, don't. If you want to get a boner but also have a laugh, catch some Russ Meyer films instead.

6/10 - for purely historical reasons (it's kind of a cult film, apparently)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
2 classics hadn't seen in a while:

Fargo 9.5/10

Breakfast at Tiffany's 8.7/10

Fargo is simply the Coen Brothers' best ever, no contest.

Breakfast at Tiffany's, I hadn't seen in so long I didn't remember it. Hard to imagine that any movie has a better party scene, it's just OMG amazing. This is a great movie. And that song!

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
That's no answer at all. George Clooney? Give me a break.
i can recite the script pretty much whole off the top of my head.
Fargo, i got some vague recollection of a few scenes. At least from MY point of view, Oh Brother is the superior film.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That's no answer at all. George Clooney? Give me a break.

see, this is a problem. As you don't recognize that image and understand the response, you don't know enough about the Coens to declare "The Best Coen Brothers film, ever!" I declare you, unqualified to make this assessment!

Anyway, everyone knows the answer.
The-Big-Lebowski-hp-GQ-25Feb16_rex_b.jpg

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
see, this is a problem. As you don't recognize that image and understand the response, you don't know enough about the Coens to declare "The Best Coen Brothers film, ever!" I declare you, unqualified to make this assessment!

Anyway, everyone knows the answer.
The-Big-Lebowski-hp-GQ-25Feb16_rex_b.jpg
The Big L sucks IMO. I grew up in L.A. It wasn't like that at all. Now, the Coens grew up in the upper midwest, where Fargo takes place and they depicted it wonderfully... because they KNEW the place. They didn't know L.A. TBL is just a druggy fantasy.

What image didn't I recognize and get the response from? You're opinionated, get over yourself. And my judging Fargo to be the Coens' best isn't novel at all:

Here it's ranked #2 behind No Country for Old Men:

Here it's ranked #2 behind True Grit:

Here it's ranked #1:

i can recite the script pretty much whole off the top of my head.
Fargo, i got some vague recollection of a few scenes. At least from MY point of view, Oh Brother is the superior film.
Your point of view is skewed.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Muse, muse muse. Sing in me Muse, and through me tell the story of that man skilled in all ways of contending,

see, the Coen brothers are very baity and you should take that into account when you review .. a review. Obviously no paid reviewer is going to stick his neck out and say "Oh Brother" because they would get fired for having an opinion. It's kinda like when you read the Rolling Stone's Top 100 Whatevers, it's not what's actually good that goes in it, it's what's dictated commercially. The Coens aren't really a money-making machine but they have garnered praise as artistic filmmakers so obviously the reviewers are going to make the list in "most-artsy" order.
No Country is by far the most well received in the filmmakers circles. Barton Fink is the most beloved by theater critics. Fargo is the one that put them on the map, True Grit the one that made the most mony, so fashion/lifestyles magazines would put it at N.1, and obviously the most popular among normal people is BY FAR The Big Lebowsky, so any non-Coen fans would rate this as their favorite.
And it goes to show, from the very links you have posted, that there are substantial discrepancies in those lists. Studiobinder (?) has A Serious Man at N3, And Inside llewyn Davis aty N11, while the tomatometer has Llewyn at N5 and Serious Man at 10. That's a big swing.
Goldderby (??) has Oh Brother over Lleywn, but does not have No Country at N1.
Screenrant has Fargo at N1 and Serious Man at N5. The Guardian - *very* reputable when it comes to reviews - has Fargo at N5, and Big Lebowski at N2, under No Country.
I guess this wasnt a convenient review to link.
Trillist has Fargo at N1, and then they have .. Raising Arizona at N2, Millers Crossing at N3, No Country N4, and the Hudsucker Proxy, which most others above put in the low 10s.
Theringer has A Serious Man at N1 !!, Lebowski at N2, and Fargo is under Miller's Crossing.
And Indiewire has No Country, Llewyn, Fargo, and Big Lebowski.

.. all these reviewers have their own frame of reference. The reason why it seems that they cannot agree on a proper ranking is that they are doing a job, they cater to their readers and the readers of Indiewire are not the same readers as The Guardian.

I don't.

I can tell you that all of my dumb friends (and some non-dumb ones) love Lebowski and hate Barton Fink, if that is any consolation. You can help yourself to a dozen youtube rants on why Barton Fink is a masterpiece, and yet when we went to the theater everyone hated it (me included, i must be dumb).

Fargo is a comedy of errors. No, not the Shakespeare play, but the term that means "a story that progresses because the characters involved are incompetent". I don't like that. I don't think that's the peak of screenplay writing, and while Fargo is a good film, it's not what i would consider a masterpiece. I mean, neither is The Hudsucker Proxy, but i'd rather re-watch that.
The Big Lebowski is both the funniest in your classical sense, and the most easily-digestible. I get that many people love it but i think the characters tend to stick out too much from the frame. Let's say that Jesus Quintana is a less believable character than Big Dan Teague.
Now .. Oh Brother, that's a masterpiece.

True Grit is what happens when the Coens decide to make some money. They did a straight western and everyone paid to see it. (also the little girl was brilliant)
Old Country is .. difficult. It's less hermetic than Barton Fink, but also contains many touches of elegance when it comes to scriptwriting, most of which went above my head because i'm not the target audience for that kind of material. Like i said, i'm dumb.

I like - as you would know - films that sit you down, and then in a clear voice say "I AM GOING TO TELL YOU A STORY" and then do.

Obviously at this point i have to say, "to me". To me Oh Brother is a masterpiece. The script flows flawlessly, punctuated by amazing performances by literally everyone involved. Even the 5 f* seconds of screentime the record shop seller has, the 30 seconds of the pomade seller, the sets, the songs, the audio, photography. I love this film so much i fuck it.

I'm not sure what Fargo has that you love it so much.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have to watch Miller's Crossing again. I thought that was great but it's been a while. 'Ethics!'

Reactions: pmv

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I have to watch Miller's Crossing again. I thought that was great but it's been a while. 'Ethics!'
you have to match it all in one sitting without interruptions. The character change for Gabriel Byrne is fast and subtle and you risk missing it if you watch the film casually.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm not sure what Fargo has that you love it so much.
I've watched Fargo, according to my data, 6 times:

04/21/2021
05/25/2012
03/04/2006
06/08/2005
06/21/2000
06/11/1996

It's always worked for me thoroughly.

TBLebowski:

07/23/2009
08/31/2006
02/08/2006
10/09/2004

So, it's been like 11 years. I've never watched it and didn't have misgivings, things about it that bothered me. Now, my impression is that it's complex, has different facets, different parts and sequences, sort of like several movies in one. Episodic. Has dream-like scenes here and there. It does NOT hang together. Verisimilitude, there's virtually none at all, which to me is a grievance. I guess some people like seeing a movie that's alternate to reality. That's not me.

Oh Brother...:

11/25/2020
08/07/2011
08/31/2006
06/01/2005

So, last time just 6 months ago. The whole Greek myth thing to me doesn't fetch up. The labored language of George Clooney in attempting to establish his superior attitude doesn't impress me. The music's OK, but really, I have a far more sophisticated sense of American music than you get in OBWAT. Their sweeping into a radio station and just launching their career... well, some of that did happen in the 1st half of the 20th century in the American south but it's ridiculous to suggest that it was that easy. It's all a feel good fantasy and it just doesn't work for me. Clooney's relationship with his wife, that must tickle a lot of guys but it doesn't work for me. It's OK, I mean I don't hate it or I wouldn't have watched it 4 times, but to me it's no masterpiece. I'm not a Coen Brothers expert. There are some of their movies I haven't watched or have watched only once. I watched Barton Fink finally a couple years ago, I was pretty impressed, actually.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
speaking of, i'm watching right now Inside Llewyn Davis - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2042568/

"written, directed, produced, and edited by Joel and Ethan Coen."
This is actually the second version i picked up because when i launched the first, i thought "wtf is wrong with the video".
Yeah, turns out there was nothing wrong with the video. There is a weird fuzzy bluish-grey tint covering everything.

I'm gonna scratch this one to "films i don't get". I found the first third chunk of the movie to be slow and aimless, and while it somewhat picks up later, it never develops into an interesting story. (exactly the kind of film that artsy reviewers go apeshit for)/

Reactions: stargazr

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
speaking of, i'm watching right now Inside Llewyn Davis - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2042568/

I'm gonna scratch this one to "films i don't get". I found the first third chunk of the movie to be slow and aimless, and while it somewhat picks up later, it never develops into an interesting story. (exactly the kind of film that artsy reviewers go apeshit for)/
That happens to me. I watched it in 2014. My reaction:

Watched last night. Opinion? Dunno. Came off pretty convincing, it's a view of things you don't get normally. Tough to make it as a struggling artist. This was an uncommon struggle, sure.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
5 minute review

The Mitchells Vs The Machines - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7979580/

at a 8/10 on IMDb, this incredibly mediocre animation is the story of your typical american family (yawn) where the kids spend too much time on their phones (YAWN)
and there is a robot upheaval because an Apple-like company (*YAWN*) does something so, the Mitchells must fight robots to enter the kill code which wins and ends the film.

pfft.

6/10 if you are desperate

6 is generous. I wouldn't say for the same reasons as you though.

The dog was the funny.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Invincible - finished 1st season - easy 9/10. It starts like the usual superhero flick then goes bananas. It gets really good in the end.

Not to be watched with children. It's a gorefest.

I've seen a bit of the show so far (2-3 episodes), and I'm... kind of disappointed. It has a problem that I see in a lot of American cartoons, and that is how it tries to portray human characters, but they never feel natural. When I'm watching, I'm just hearing J.K. Simmons reading lines not J.K. Simmons being Omni-Man. I think the big issue is that the voice work tends to lack filler speech, which includes things like sighs, pauses, etc. that we use naturally in our speech. I also thought that the animation was fairly disappointing for the simplicity of the artwork and the low number of episodes. To be fair, the episodes have been 40 minutes, so about twice as long as a half hour show minus commercials. It just has so much character panning to simulate movement that it stands out like a sore thumb.

Oh, and I just can't unhear Rafi whenever the explosive guy is on screen.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Cast Away (Tom Hanks, 2000) 9/10

Never saw it before. This is a movie with some meat on the bone. You can think about it later, i.e. like now, the day after. I like that.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I have two rhetorical questions. #1 Muse has kept notes of every movie he's watched dating back... how long?
#2 He says The Big Lebowski sucks, and he watched it three times in two years? o_O

Prime Video seems to think honoring AAPI Heritage month means promoting films from Asia, so I watched an older HK flick.
So Close (2002) 6/10 (rounded up for the eye candy)

Status
Not open for further replies.