NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 790 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Marilyn Monroe documentary. 9/10

What a sad life. She wasn't taken seriously. Had drug and alcohol issues. Had some very bad trust issues with men. I don't know if I buy that she was murdered by the Kennedys. I think that she was incredibly lonely, sad, and wanted to get back at people by engaging in a suicide attempt. Sadly, it backfired. Still, how was she able to swallow 40 pills without water? There wasn't a water glass by her bed. Did the maid move her items before she called Marilyn's psychiatrist? Anyway, what a sad and tragic short life.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

Thanks for the video. Watching it just confirmed that she was mentally ill. Its what very sick people do. They let go of their lives. They just give up on life. She was drinking and popping pills because she couldn't cope with Hollywood. Back then, they didn't know about mental illness. And, the stars of yesteryear were all on drugs. Crazy times.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Rambo - last blood.5/10

Totally unnecessary, last one was a good ending for John why go for another round? Totally sad and bloody and ....cheap. It could be decent if the battle was in the urban setting with some form of happy ending.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I was in high school when Goldmember came out and I couldn't believe how bad it was, lol... I loved the first two (though I see now why people say the 2nd one sucked too).
oh no, no no no.
in order of best to worst they are
1. Goldmember
2. Spy who shagged me
3. Man of mystery
And that's even without the intro sequence.
Come on, you got the evil scott dance, the english english scene, copyright godzilla ...

Last edited:
Reactions: purbeast0

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The Lighthouse 7/10

Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson both give great performances in the movie, but I still don't what the hell exactly happened/didn't happen in the movie. It's one of those movies you say "WTF just happened?" at the end. That said, it still kept me interested the entire time.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Anyone using justwatch(.)com to find something to watch? Used it for a couple of days and I like the fact you can choose which streaming services you have, and it finds stuff in just those services.

And it will show what has just been added. Also there is an app that will install on the Amazon Fire TV stick.

Reactions: clamum

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Out of continued boredom I made a pact with myself to go back to the original movie thread and watch the very first movie someone reviewed, no matter what it was.

Alas - it is no more, unfortunately. I had to go back to the beginning of this one. So its either Insidious or The Source Code.

I guess I'll go for Source Code.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I've always avoided it because I've heard nothing but negative things about it.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I thought that Transcendence was quite good. I enjoyed the different aspects of a person xferring their consciousness into programming, and the challenges of continuing a relationship when 1 partner had made this change. I also really enjoyed the terminator like aspects of some physically disabled people coming to the area to be "healed" and augmented. Finally, I also never saw the ending coming, which was a good thing. Way too often I feel like I know exactly how a movie is going to end. Hitchcock might have been one of the only directors who regularly got me by doing something unexpected, but which made sense looking back at it afterwards. This movie was like that - not what I expected, but an excellent ending.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i liked Source Code. Yes, it's implausible, and romantic, but the move moves with a good pace and it's never boring, and it never dwells on the sentimental.

but, be warned, i prefer Paycheck. I really, reeeeealy like Pyacheck, i stupidly like that film, so YMMV.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
that looks incredibly fuckin stupid.
I'm sad I spent 2 minutes and change of my life on it.
well excuse me mr fancypants. i happen to like that guy as a comedy actor and i'm happy he's being cast in something that has a bit more depth.
Also, bonus fact: steve buscemi playing a fireman, as he is an actual fireman and even volunteered with his old brigade during 9/11.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Impractical Jokers the Movie - 7/10 - this really didn't need to be made and the story was pretty stupid, although some of the acted out parts were pretty funny too. Other than that it's like a long episode and could have just been on TV. Just being a movie though you wonder if it's all real or not.

Raizinman

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2007
meettomy.site
Contagion 9/10

I watched a very interesting movie last night called Contagion. It’s about a virus called MEV-1 that leaks out of China and starts infecting the world. It shows the effort they go to for a vaccine and how it affects the entire world. It even has its own Dr. Fauci played by Laurence Fishburne who tells everyone to wash your hands, don’t touch your face and social distancing. The movie includes a great cast like: Gwyneth Paltrow, Matt Damon, Bryan Cranston and others. It goes into detail about food lines, conspiracy theories, WHO, CDC, big Pharma, possible treatments, and more. It’s almost like someone used this movie as a playbook for what is happening to us right now. Oddly, this movie came out in 2011. I highly recommend you see this movie so you can see what might happen to all of us next…..

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Upload 7.5/10. Better than expected.

I have to agree, better than I expected. A bit deeper than I thought it would be. Has some comedy, can make for some heavy discussions if things like this were real, and overall entertaining. I like the shortness of the episodes, 27ish mins is just enough.

Cobra Kai 8.5. Late to this party, but got Youtube free with a purchase so catching up. I will say that my score is highly based on nostalgia. Having grown up (born in 74) with Karate Kid, I really enjoyed seeing some faces back. The old replays, and music too. There are some pretty good twists, and its not what I would have expected it to be, just a revenge mission. It is also pretty funny. Those not growing up with Karate Kid and watching it a billion times likely wont like it as much.

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
Wayne. 7/10. Very similar to The end of the f**ing world. By the writers of deadpool, about a badass kid and his journey to retrieve his fathers car after he dies. I found The end.. better.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
Ozark - Season 3. 9/10.

First, I re-watched seasons 1 & 2 prior to watching season 3. Just so everything's fresh in my mind.

We meet some new friends, and lose some along the way. Lots of twists and turns, culminating in a bang.

Wow. Laura Linney's character is a total cold-hearted diabolical bitch, in the story line with her younger brother Ben.
Jason Bateman's character takes a huge dark turn in regards to Ben.
Seems like's the Byrd's vs the World in any potential season 4.

Here's to hoping for a season 4.

Wow, you binge-watched it a lot faster than I did. Just finished the last episode and I'll also give it a 9/10.

The first two seasons were like a 7/10, good enough to keep watching for sure, but it never felt like they got the most out of what they had, it was always leaving something on the table. This season the heat got turned up a couple of notches and they maintained the tension all the way through. Love the way they have the players set up on the board for season 4, especially Ruth. Lots of potential there with her new situation.

Reactions: Zanovar

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Ozark - Season 3. 9/10.

First, I re-watched seasons 1 & 2 prior to watching season 3. Just so everything's fresh in my mind.

We meet some new friends, and lose some along the way. Lots of twists and turns, culminating in a bang.

Wow. Laura Linney's character is a total cold-hearted diabolical bitch, in the story line with her younger brother Ben.
Jason Bateman's character takes a huge dark turn in regards to Ben.
Seems like's the Byrd's vs the World in any potential season 4.

Here's to hoping for a season 4.
Yeah, that's been a surprising series. Some pretty dark stuff, esp. season 3. Jason Bateman, who would have thunk it.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Wow, you binge-watched it a lot faster than I did. Just finished the last episode and I'll also give it a 9/10.

The first two seasons were like a 7/10, good enough to keep watching for sure, but it never felt like they got the most out of what they had, it was always leaving something on the table. This season the heat got turned up a couple of notches and they maintained the tension all the way through. Love the way they have the players set up on the board for season 4, especially Ruth. Lots of potential there with her new situation.

To be fair, I started re-watching S1 and S2 prior to the actual S3 drop date.

Season 1 was kind of a slow burn. The pilot did start off interesting, but most of S1 was kind of a slow burn until tensions rise towards the end. Season 2 was stronger overall than S1. Season 3 progresses the story very nicely, and is the strongest season. If any potential Season 4 is greenlighted, I'll be happy if it's as good as Season 3. But just like Breaking Bad, this can't go on forever.

One of the things I like to do is look at the opening Ozark logo and try to figure out how those cliparts are represented in the actual episode.

Yeah, that's been a surprising series. Some pretty dark stuff, esp. season 3. Jason Bateman, who would have thunk it.

Even with Bateman as a money launderer, and Bateman killing someone in Season 2, you can say that Bateman wasn't an evil man. A lot of things that went wrong could be rationalized. Not a nice man. Not a moral man. But you could sorta make the argument he wasn't really evil. In Season 3, all of that changed. Bateman is evil. And they just snuck it in. You thought you knew what was happening, but then the final revelation hits you like a ton of bricks.

EDIT: Also, the actor who played little brother Ben did an amazing job. Great job as the lovable doofus, but also some gut wrenching scenes.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Portrait of a Lady on Fire 7/10

French movie set in Victorian era France. (English subtitles)

a mother arranges a marriage of her daughter. the Mother needs to send the daughter's portrait to the would be groom.
but daughter would not sit for a painting of her. she's trying to resist the arranged marriage.

female Painter was hired by the mother to paint her daughter's portrait w/o her daughter knowing she's being painted. :eek:

Painter and daughter fall in love.

what i didnt like was that the movie showed a great friendship between those 2 and the pregnant maid but it didnt quite fit the story.
or rather added too much to the story.
the friendship could have been a movie on it's own.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
My Very Intelligent And Smart Review Of The Film Cats (2019) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5697572/

with the premise that i'm only halfway three quarters in, but i think i figured out what the whole kerfuffle was with this film.

As you know, the 2019 film Cats is a film rework of the Andrew Lloyd Webber incredibly-successful musical Cats: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cats_(musical)
the plot is almost identical, and the music is also the same. And here is the first issue.

While the critic was almost exclusively with the CGI, i personally like the idea and see why they thought it would work; these aren't cats, as neither are the ones on the stage production - these are people "pretending" to be cats. But, on stage the focus is on the choreography, while on film it is on the songs. And the songs in Cats aren't really good at all.
Compare this to, let's say, Little Shop Of Horrors, or Jesus Christ Superstar. Cats has the quintessential Musical song style - just big band sound changing every few seconds in theme and tone, and the melodic lines are just horrible. Both LSOH and JCS are a bit like that, but overall are far more musical than Cats.

And Cats was always the one musical that pretentious people love; the more pretentious the person, the more they love the musical. Without being face to face with those bulging dancer muscles, you cannot indulge in your middleclass closet fantasy of being an upstanding, heterosexual man.

So, that one target audience is gone.

Those instead who are looking for a simple feelgood film find themselves faced with a dull plot, unlikable characters (mostly, although the fat guy cat is funny), and Rebel Wilson, seriously why would you do that to yourself, nobody likes her.
Anyway, Cats was never a masterpiece, you really need the right target audience. And those few who would like the CGI, they don't like the rest of the film; i'm not fazed at every available hollywood star being crammed into the film, and boy oh boy, you got:
Ian McKellar
Idris Elba
James Corden
Taylor Swift
Mme Judy Dench

But they left the protagonist role to a relatively unknown dancer, Francesca Hayward. Singer J-Hud does a reasonably good job at her part .. and so does pretty much everyone, the problem is just that you can't shift this material away from the stage; if you remove the physical impact of "being there", you are left with the not-quite-good part of Cats, which is EVERYTHING. Cats just doesn't have enough of a good story, interesting characters, or good songs, to stand alone if you remove the dancing, and dancing through film is not the same as dancing in real life.

The sets are pretty damn good. The costumes are debatable, i think if you *could* get these CGI costumes on stage, people wold go mad, but here you get the complaints form that part of the audience that figured that the character of Cats would have been actual f** cats. They work as dancer makeup, though, but that part of the audience that could appreciate then, instead complains for something else - something obvious - that "this isn't theater".

All in all this is not a horrible film, but not great either; you would need to already be a Cats fan to enjoy it, but for regular audiences you would need to massively rework the musical parts into something catchier and suitable for modern audiences.

TLDR: theater people dont like films, film people dont like theater.

6/10 - not as horrible as they said it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.