NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 574 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Kong: Skull Island - 7.5/10

This movie is better than it should be. A rag tag team is assembled to investigate an island. Sounds generic but nobody told the actors this was a B grade movie so everyone does a great job and it has the right mix of action, comedy awhile not being too serious that i enjoyed this way more than i expected. If you see it make sure you stay for the post credits scene, but you can already guess what they reveal will be.
I haven't seen it yet but I'm guessing it's
Godzilla since the only reason why they made this movie was to have them both battle.

May 11, 2008
Netflix has some new movies :

Anime movie : Gantz:O ; 7/10.
The animated movie looks very good.

Alice through the looking glass ; 8/10.
Nice movie to watch.

Reactions: Cappuccino

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The Conjuring 6/10

it was an ok story I guess, but too few scares, and too implausible. They started out at medium scare, and kept the same tempo throughout. They needed to start slower, and build through the whole movie. Also, no one questioned the spirit chasers. Like it's just one of those "homeowner things" to have to call an exorcist or something. "Honey, the toilet's backed up. We need to get a plumber up here, and we might as well call the exorcists to get rid of the spirts while we're fixing things up"

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Alice through the looking glass ; 8/10.
Nice movie to watch.
Really??
The one with Johnny Depp?
What did u like about it?

I started watching Britney ever after 1/10, which is an unauthorized bio-pic from 2017.
Turned it off after 10min.
Avoid!

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Hacksaw Ridge - solid 9.5/10. I would give it a 10/10 but then it's not quite up to par with Saving Private Ryan which is a 10/10 in my book. It is very good though and just really well done. I am not a big fan of the main actor and haven't liked him since Spiderman but I thought he did a great job in this movie.

I'll give Hacksaw Ridge 8.8/10 myself, it was very good.

I liked the Corpsman aspect, if anyone gets near a Navy Corpsman in later years and screws with them, any Marines in the area would kick the shit out of them.

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
Really??
The one with Johnny Depp?
What did u like about it?

I started watching Britney ever after 1/10, which is an unauthorized bio-pic from 2017.
Turned it off after 10min.
Avoid!

The whole ambience the movie created.
Of course, the previous movie : "Alice in wonderland" was better.
I do have to say, when Johhny Depp smiles in the movie, it reminds me of an older Madonna smiling. The gap between the upper front teeth and the hair style . :)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Allied - 8/10 - it was a little different than I expected but I also enjoyed it more than I expected. I'm not a huge fan of movies of that era but there was something about this one I didn't mind and actually enjoyed. I also really liked how it ended.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
I finally caught up on season 3 of Hannibal. It can get a bit self-indulgent at times but damn is it a satisfying show, always giving you the awesome moments that you're hoping for.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Get Out made over $70 million total just from US release alone, with a less than $5 million budge to make the movie. Get Out the sequel next year?

Last edited:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Allied - 8/10 - it was a little different than I expected but I also enjoyed it more than I expected. I'm not a huge fan of movies of that era but there was something about this one I didn't mind and actually enjoyed. I also really liked how it ended.
I love historical movies but then again I'm a history junkie. :)

I rented Allied via the TV Plus app on my TV over the weekend. Besides that app having a crummy UI, IMO, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I'd give it 8/10. Marion <3, she kinda reminds me of my friend Sarah who passed away a few years ago, they have similar facial features I think. :-(

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm finally watching the FX OJ Simpson series and I'm not impressed

we went through that a few weeks ago (time of this post, lol) as well, and came away with the same impression. 1st episode--just awful, cheesy, terrible acting. I thought 2nd episode was really good (don't remember why), but overall this series was really quite bad. No idea how it won any kind of award.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
we went through that a few weeks ago (time of this post, lol) as well, and came away with the same impression. 1st episode--just awful, cheesy, terrible acting. I thought 2nd episode was really good (don't remember why), but overall this series was really quite bad. No idea how it won any kind of award.

I gotta say it started to grow on me once the trial started. It's still overrated but I enjoyed it overall, there were some good performances and a few great (but brief) moments.

I felt the same way about the documentary version, it started slow but got better. I preferred the FX series, though.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Currently watching Dark Matter on Netflix. About 6 episodes in. 6/10 if that but goddamn I always find a way to watch the next episode. Acting is terrible, storyline is meh and the CGI is pretty terrible. Reminds me how I felt about The 100. Wondering if this show will get better.

Edit: Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates: 3/10 Just stupid. Had to sit through it because the wife wanted to watch it. Waste of 2 hours I can't get back.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
"Collateral Beauty" Loved it! Going on my if-I-need-a-cry movie list. Tears and even goosebumps.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
just watched A Bronx Tale - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106489/reference

Directed by (and also starring) Robert DeNiro, back when he could still act parts written for normal human beings.
Pretty solid film, about growing up, love, family, responsibility, and life choices. All wrapped up in a glorious production that reminds me of Little Shop Of Horrors (down to the barbershop quartet). The lead is played by Lillo Brancato (who?) and the main character is Chaz Palminteri, who overdoes it at times, but generally carries the film pretty darn well.
It's weird how i have never noticed this film. Although it's centered around the 1950s american mafia, it's not in the same line as Goodfellas, painting the mobsters as more humane and realistic. Don't expect badass gunfights or though-guy action, this film focuses more on normal people.

interesting bit of trivia copypasta from IMDb
"The story, written by Chazz Palminteri, is adapted from his autobiographical one-man play. His real name is Calogero Lorenzo Palminteri. Several studios approached him to purchase the film rights, with at least one offering $1 million, but Palminteri refused to sell them unless he could write the screenplay and play the role of Sonny. None of the studios agreed as they wanted to hire another actor. Then Robert De Niro offered to go into a 50/50 partnership with all of Palminteri's conditions met as long as De Niro could direct and play Lorenzo. Palminteri agreed and their contract was sealed on a handshake."

Good film, would recommend. 7.5/10

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Creed - 10/10 - This movie proves there is nothing wrong with being tied to the usual formulas. Wonderful homage to the eighties, late seventies.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
Passengers.

with JLaw and Chris Pratt. It started out good..i love sci-fi movies...then it introduced every shitty hollywood trope into it. still decent.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
My friends are disgusted that I haven't seen a bunch of movies they consider classic, so I'm going through them.

E.T. - 10/10 - Excellent
Pirates of the Caribbean I - 9/10 - Very entertaining. Looking forward to the others
Mission Impossible I - 8/10 - I'm a sucker for these types of movies, so it doesn't take much here to make me happy.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Logan 7.5/10

Well done movie. The best of the Wolverine solo movies. Nothing out of the ordinary though and nothing unexpected so could have been better in that regard.

What is it with people brining their very young children to see Rated R movies? There were kids there that weren't older than 7 or 8. Way too young to see Rated R movies, especially in movie theaters.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
If you're going to see Logan, don't read the spoiler.

It was such a bummer having both Wolverine and the Professor get knocked off in the same movie. It wasn't really a surprise especially the way the plot starts and progresses - they pretty much prepare you for the deaths - but still, the end of an era. Aside from that, the little girl is fantastic. It's not often that I really like a child actor but this girl has a future. She doesn't speak for most of the movie and the part doesn't really demand a lot of dramatic range, but I still thought she did a very admirable job. All of the kids were pretty good btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.